1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What about Wood?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 28, 2021.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Showcase for the trade deadline.

Same with EG.

Both Jalen Green and Alperen Sengun will be significant upgrades in the very near future.

Get all the value you can for EG/Wood while they are healthy.

Aware, Stephen_A, fattz and 3 others like this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Wood is a free agent when Wall comes off the books. Very likely the Rockets can sign a max contract, and then use Bird Rights on Wood. For all intents and purposes, Wood's cost will be his cap hold if Rockets re-sign him using Bird Rights. He's likely worth a lot more than his cap hold.

On trading Wood, the teams that want Wood for short term value likely won't be able to take advantage of cap space and cap hold like the Rockets.

If Rockets can get a deal that helps them, they should do it. I'm skeptical that other teams will value him enough to offer a deal that will yield a better player and/or value long term.

3. TimDuncanDonaut

If he takes less money I don't mind Wood staying. He was a journey man before us. I think he deserves a raise but not the max.

If trade, a promising young player or draft picks. For draft picks, OKC has lot of them. Other teams like the Kings and Pelicans, having long bad records, can benefit a lot from Wood. They might part ways with picks or a young player.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

These teams are basically the Rockets except Wood is a free agent at absolutely the best time for the Rockets.

If the Rockets trade Wood, it will likely be to a team that values his next year and half more than the Rockets value him long term, and have a pick or young player the Rockets value more.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

At some point Rockets will have to make a choice. Denver had to do it with Nurkic and Jokic, since a starting line up of both did not work.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  6. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

Yet I don't think either of them wants to bang down low.
    Glass figurines both.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

People who have seen the future and know that it is all Sengun are going to be extremely nonplussed when the Rockets pick another big to supplement and/or replace him in a few months or a year and a few months.

aaquaa likes this.
  8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

More like nobody else in the universe except crap teams and the Lakers when they don't feel like winning uses twin tower linrups anymore.

aaquaa likes this.
  9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Oh you’re the guy/girl that wrote about “real basketball drills” as opposed to fake ones that Silas and his staff runs. Also as i recall from your earlier post you compared Green to Corey Brewer. You’re telling on yourself with how little you know. Funny because you’re one of the fans who post the most on this site.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

@BimaThug

What will Wood's cap hold be in 2023??

11. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Woods is a block for this franchise going forward, you will never get equal value for him anyway. He is by far the best Rocket and will allow Sengun to flourish his game. Woods can score so easily he just needs complimentary shooting and decent guard play.

D-rock likes this.
  12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gotta disagree. He might look okay with this bunch, but he's not a building block. More of a means to an end IMO if handled right. Dude plays no D and lacks heart. That said, I'm pretty sure he'll fetch 3 decent first rounders (or the equivalent thereof) from the right team before the deadline.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd have liked to see him with the old CP3/Harden squad instead of Clint Capela. We might have scored 180 points a game.

clos4life, D-rock and Corrosion like this.
  14. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Just go into trade talks with the mentality that you're willing to trade him but also don't mine keeping him if the deal isn't good enough. That's the most powerful position in a negotiation anyway. I love Wood but if there's an offer out there that blows us away then I don't mind taking it. If it's just ok or decent, then let's just keep him. If Sengun or Green or Banchero or Chet or whomever turn out to be superstars, I'm sure Wood wouldn't have any problem with deferring to them in the future.

D-rock and dmoneybangbang like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

EGo and Wood are 2 of best players on the team.

Easily.

Both Green and Sengun are not ready to carry a team.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wood did not want to play 5???

You have a link to back up this claim?

17. juanming

juanming Member

In 24 hours I have completely changed my mind. I have been reading a lot of Christian Woods quotes and also watching highlights and we should keep him at Center we probably should extend him. I mean the intangibles he has such as chemistry with our point guard Porter cannot be understated. The fact that Tilman gave him a big hug and hand shake after the game told me all I need to know we are keeping him

So my biggest complaint about wood was his moping and pouting at the beginning of the season and now I know why he was doing it. It's not because he's selfish so I was wrong, it's simply because he was upset that he had to play next to theis . I would be depressed too if I was playing next to theis. so I now give Christian a free pass on his poutiness because now I know why he did it and I forgive him

He's not injured yet 20 games into the season so that's a huge Plus. As far as our timeline, I think he's only 27 possibly 26 so that gives him at least an extra 5 years of productivity. Signing him to a Max contract next year for 3 more years would put him at 31 years old. At that point he may be washed but the contract will be up so we can wash our hands with him no problem

Very very difficult to find a center that can do the things he can do. No center like that is going to sign here because we are garbage. And you would have to hope you get the number one pick in the draft to draft a stud Center like him and there is none because chet is so damn petite and skinny he's going to get destroyed... I'll actually take christian over chet right now.

My other big complained is that I want alpi to start. Since Stephen will not get his head out of his butt.. we probably need a new coach by next year to put ALPI at power forward next to Wood

As far as us drafting a big in the draft... I actually don't think it's going to happen. So many things can go wrong. Number it looks like we are not the worst team in the league now since we have changed our starting lineup so we will probably not be in the worst three at the end of season. Number two even if we have the 4th or 5th pick will probably trade it for a veteran point guard or lower in the draft for a rookie point guard. I don't see us replacing Alpi and I don't see us replaceing Christian with another nineteen-year-old I just don't see it

So by next year I think our starting lineup will look like this

Porter (we will extend him)
    Green
    Tate(Tilman loves this guy)
    Alpi
    Wood

And actually I don't think we'll even get a point guard in the draft because they seem to love Porter at that point guard position. I don't see us changing a damn thing to be honest with you this summer

They will probably move alpi to power forward or get a new coach and tell the fans "look we made changes arent you happy?"

#57 juanming, Nov 29, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  18. juanming

juanming Member

Hey bro. There's at least one fan here that has changed his mind over the past week and agrees with you and thinks we should keep Christian at the five and put alpi at the four...me

Will Steven do that of course not.. but that's what the Rockets SHOULD do

19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Wood has a great offensive skill set. He sucks at defense. Centers need to anchor your defense. A center that does not play defense worth a crap has to be a superstar offensively to warrant the max. If Wood is going to require the max we need to move him.

aaquaa likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

There is an expectation around the NBA that Christian Wood, who’s in the second season of a three-year contract, will receive significant trade interest and that Houston will entertain offers. Wood is only 26, so Houston could keep him, but he’s no sure thing to stay come 2023; one of the reasons he signed with the Rockets over other interested teams was to play with James Harden, and Harden is long gone. Wood can offer a lot more to a team with playoff hopes than he can to the Rockets.

Starting center Daniel Theis will also receive mild trade interest from teams in need of a steady veteran backup.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/11/29/22807223/seven-observations-stephen-curry-kristap-porzingis-julius-randle

clos4life and Os Trigonum like this.