1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Ideas 2021-22

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jun 3, 2021.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Tate + SRP = Joku + Toppin (I’d think). Thibs loves himself that D.

2. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

If we do move Wood, I think the floor for his value has to be Vucevic, who the Magic traded last year for Wendell Carter Jr. And 2 FRPs. To me, Wood is more valuable right now than Vucevic and more skilled for the modern NBA, and on a very friendly contract to boot, so I'd have to think something like 2 FRPs, a swap, and comparable young player would be the asking price.

Also don't think we have to move him this season. Maybe the offseason is a better time to trade him? Who knows. I'm fine with either if the FO wants to move on.

I definitely think we need to trade Gordon, Theis, Augustin, and House by the trade deadline though.

weopeo9744 and saleem like this.
  3. fattz

fattz Member

You really think we ripped them a new a-hole? With a 3 point win where they had an open shot at the end to tie. It’s a fair trade. Ball is an All Star & Oubre is more than solid. The FIT with Sengun would be amazing.

#843 fattz, Nov 28, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    saleem and dmoneybangbang like this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

Ball is their young point wing franchise player, I don't see that being enough.

fattz likes this.
  5. fattz

fattz Member

Would you put some FRPs to make it work?

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I gotta pass on Fox , you just can't be successful in todays NBA shooting 25% from 3 point land as a lead guard.

Not giving up my two best assets for that kind of return.

saleem, JayZ750 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

You'd have to dump out our war chest for an electric point wing/forward on his 2nd year of a rookie deal. I'd say he's pretty much untouchable for a team like the Hornets, who don't get players like Ball or even Bridges.

fattz and Corrosion like this.
  8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah , Ball is what you hope those draft picks turn into ..... why would they trade that guy for more chances to get that guy.

dmoneybangbang, fattz and JayZ750 like this.
  9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yeah, they're definitely not trading LaMelo.

Would they trade Bridges though? My gut says absolutely not as hes their clear 2nd best player this year... but they seem to have a need for a "real" big while having a number of forwards.

Wood, Tate, protected first for Plumlee, Bridges would work money wise.

dmoneybangbang and fattz like this.
  10. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

For all the Wall news.

Clippers:
    Wall, Justin Holiday, Theis

Pacers:
    Marcus Morris

Rockets:
    Bledsoe, Jermy Lamb, Luke Kennard

11. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

So here's a possibility:

Wood, Gordon, and Augustin for Wiggins, Kuminga, Wiseman, 2 unprotected FRPs and a swap.

I see this as a probable trade that the Warriors would take immediately, not sure it gets us the best return but it's actually one I can see go through. Lots of benefits for GSW (not as many for us). For one, it gets the Warriors luxury tax penalty lowered immediately (which they care about, even if they don't always act like it. See: Paschall trade). Gordon replaces Wiggins in contribution (I see them as a wash, if not a gain given Gordon's playoff performances), fits their 3-point shooting culture, and is a better bench boost than Wiggins whose play won't be needed with the return of Klay. Between Klay, Poole, Steph, Lee, and others, there are only so many minutes and hardly enough to justify paying 35+M to a guy like Wiggins.

Augustin is a movable piece if they want to trade him and probably takes over PG duties for the bench unit if they keep him. Wood gives GSW a starting lineup of Steph, Klay, Poole, Wood, and Draymond which is a massive improvement right now and makes them the prohibitive championship favorites, with Looney, Bjelica, Gordon, Porter Jr, and Augustin off the bench. Wood also gives them a cornerstone piece for the future of the team.

For us, we absorb a massive contract for a SG that we don't need in Wiggins, so that's the downside, but the upside is we get a lottery player in Kuminga who has upside and will see more court time with us than GSW, we get a rehabbing Wiseman that might turnout one day into a serviceable player (I didn't think he was great when he was on the court last season, so time will tell, but worth a shot), and of course we get the picks. Both of the picks will almost assuredly be late first rounders (I don't see a team with Klay, Steph, Poole, Wood, etc. being bad ever), and the swap option probably won't be used, but you never know.

I guess a trade option like this would boil down to how hot the Rockets are on Kuminga and whether they think Kuminga will ever surpass Wood in on-court production. Tbh, Kuminga hasn't been killing it on the court in the minutes he's been given (38% FG, 1-14 3PT) and his scouting report was of a guy with above average handles, lots of versatility and agility, but a really below average jump shot and offensive limitations, so maybe there's a reason he's not getting more floor time. Not sure we'll get better than 2 FRPs for Wood and Gordon, so that's great, and a swap is never a bad thing to have in your back pocket as you never really know what will happen to a team a few yrs from now.

This trade would also give us insane cap space in 2023 (which we'll have without it as well). Wall and Wiggins with roughly 80 million in expiring deals would give us about as much cap space as any team in the league, and we could really be players in free agency with a hopefully emerging young core by then.

peleincubus, saleem and fattz like this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

Bridges would be more realistic, but there would be stiff competition. Bridges bet on himself and will get the max from someone, probably Hornets.

saleem likes this.
  13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

100 percent correct.

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think Charlotte would take that deal .... you give them a quality 5 and they are a contender.

Looking at Bridges stats , I just cant justify the contract he's going to get from someone. He was much more efficient last year while getting fewer minutes / shots. Minutes and shots have gone up , efficiency and shooting metrics have gone down.

Definitely not worth giving up the Rockets two best contracts to get and then have to pay him max money.

I think we're better suited getting rid of House & EG while continuing to develop the kids ..... we have another year to consider Wood , unless the return is just too good to turn down.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

solid perspective. He is definitely one of those guys that are right on the edge. Indeed if his efficiency was what it was last year - increasingly seemingly like the anamoly - it would be like a no brainer.

EG to a potential contender for a late first and a meh t young player or just expiring contract makes sense.

harder to find fair trades for Wood imo that wound excite both sides. Like I’d be excited if the Warriors offered two of their three lotto picks from the last year.

idk… what would be some fair returns for Wood in your view?

Corrosion likes this.
  16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That seems lopsided in favor of the Rockets possibly very lopsided. I could also see someone come along and sound convincing that this is the last kind of trade the rockets should make.

I personally love it. The amount of young talent with Wiseman, Kuminga, Green, Sengun, KPJ, Martin Jr, Christopher, Garuba, this years pick, next years, the Heat/Nets pick, future Nets picks. Some of them are bound to work out lol

17. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I actually am unsure of it, though I think the Warriors would go for it. I just don't know if we should.

For one, Gordon right now to me is better for the Warriors (and us) than Wiggins. Wiggins is playing the best basketball of his career with the Warriors, but anyone who watches them can see that Poole has overtaken him in performance. Additionally, Wiggins still suffers from too many off-nights, and just today in what was a close game going into the 4th (where Curry went ham and they pulled away), Wiggins was nowhere to be found. In 36 mins Wiggins ended with 12 points on 4-12 shooting. He's averaging 30 mins per game as well. What does that look like after Klay ramps up? When he gets moved to the bench? (which, assuming Klay stays healthy, WILL happen) Gordon has played the sixth man role as well as any player in the league. As a pure offensive burst, he's far better than Wiggins, and as a player who will likely get more open 3's with the Warriors than any other team in the league, he'd be far more effective in a team priming for a long playoff run than Wiggins.

Secondly, the players we're getting back aside from Wiggins are projects. Take Kuminga. Here's a scouting report on him before the draft:

Kuminga right now is getting playing time during blowouts with the second unit and is shooting 37% and 7% from 3 point range. Granted, the sample size is small, but he hasn't been electric on defense (he was not an elite defender in the G League) against end of bench guys, and there is a reason he fell to 7 overall after being projected top-3. I actually wonder if next season we see G-league players take a hit in where they get drafted given how Green and Kuminga are faring compared to some of the college guys like Barnes.

Wiseman is coming off a bad meniscus tear. Before it, the Warriors were better with him off the floor, and he was struggling on both ends of the floor. He does not shoot well from the outside, and in the modern NBA his game will have to adjust. A rebuilding team will make sense for him, but even with us he'd come off the bench for the time being.

Wood is a player that offers all-star level production right now as a prototype big that would fit the Warriors better than arguably any other center in the NBA. He's paid a reasonable salary and is only 26. They will be able to sign him long term when his contract is up. What is the chance that Wiseman ever gets close to what Wood can do right now? Or ends up as anything more than a contributing players?

The Warriors 2022 draft pick will most likely be a bottom 5 pick, maybe even the last pick of the first round frankly. And 2023 it is unlikely to be much better. Even in 2024, chances are we won't be at a place where we're swapping with them, but even if we are, I don't see why the Warriors wouldn't take a swap risk on a return that immediately improves their team, reduces their luxury tax burden by a lot, and gives them a cornerstone piece for the future.

Like I said, the trade scenario would really boil down to how strongly the FO felt about Kuminga, because I don't think you'll get but so much out of late first rounders, Andrew Wiggins will add a John Wall-like headache to this team (a highly overpaid veteran who likes to get minutes and hoist up shots and won't want to sacrifice in a rebuild), I really wasn't hot on Wiseman and don't think too many teams are, and the swap is a total dice roll which probably won't happen (because I think the Warriors have too much talent to lapse again for the next few seasons).

Corrosion and peleincubus like this.
  18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It would be funny if Gordon and Wood bear Harden and Durant in the finals blowing up the team creating value with Nets picks haha.

D-rock and Corrosion like this.
  19. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Well, part of me hates the Warriors so much that I wouldn't want to trade to them. Wood and Gordon would make them unstoppable with the return of Klay.

Again, I'm not sure we should trade Wood, at least not right now. These past few games have been his best, but then again, I don't see how Sengun or Garuba get their fair shake with Wood manning the 5 the way he is. I'm hoping at some point we see Silas shift Tate to the bench and experiment with a Sengun + Wood lineup, but then that's another two big lineup which could fall flat (but maybe it won't?).

jch1911 likes this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I had to think about that a while ....

I think you have to be honest and realize the message you send if you are willing to trade him - That you have no desire to pay him $217m over the next 5 years. That's what his max extension would equate to starting at $37m in year one and going up to $50.3 in year 5. (166m over 4 years with the 4th being at $46.6m).

In that case , I really don't see getting a huge return unless you have multiple teams bidding the price up.

I think a realistic expectation is a first round pick with maybe top ~10 protection and a young player in the first or second year of his rookie deal that's maybe underperforming a bit. Wiseman might be a good example of that type of player ... and a pick in the 10-16 range is probably fair compensation.