1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paolo Banchero vs Chet Holmgren

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by MystikArkitect, Nov 9, 2021.

?

Chet "The Jet" Holmgren or Paolo "The Lambo" Banchero?

1. Holmgren

2. Banchero

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

2. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

I'd agree. With Banchero, I feel like you're getting someone between a floor of DeAndre Ayton and a ceiling of KAT with better defense. A floor of a multi-time all star and a ceiling of a multi-time all-NBA player.

Holmgren's length alone raises his floor tremendously. At worst, he'll be a JJJ type player, dominant on defense but reliant on others for offense. At best, he's the new-age KG. High-End role player to MVP caliber.

This rockets team has been swinging for the fences in the draft for the risky prospects with the highest potential. I've been skeptical of the results but I still like the strategy, and if we're in the position, swing hard again. Well rounded players are great and all, but well rounded players don't win titles, player who can say "I'm the very best in the world at 'X'" do.

3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Thats funny because Cade reminds me of a smaller version of old man Lebron.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. VanityHalfBlack

Damn Chet got dunked on hard lol. I'm glad Gonzaga lost. Go get em Duke!

6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Banchero has always been the guy to me. I like how he takes over offensively. He’s done that in every big game so far. His offensive skill set can be translated to the nba and he can be a go to guy right now. I’d like to see if he can pass out of double teams more.

Don’t get me wrong, Chet is going to be very good as well. Both players are good defensively but Chet is the better rim protector. Banchero relies on his defensive centers, Mark Williams and Theo John. This isn’t a bad thing though. We’d have to get a defensive center to go with him. Honestly, Mobley would’ve been great.

If we’re doing comps, I’d say more Denver Melo than anyone. Rockets love small ball but the way Banchero moves, he can be a 3/4.

7. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I remember watching a UCLA-Gonzaga game many years ago in which Adam Morrison used and abused Aaron Afflalo. It was so bad that at one point Morrison was taunting Afflalo while Afflalo defended him. Time goes by, Afflalo develops and matures as a player, and Adam Morrison never really got any better. Afflalo had a very nice professional career... and Morrison as we all know was a massive bust. The point here is that Chet will get bigger and stronger with time, and will likely improve dramatically from this point in time forward. Banchero could do the same, but he looks much further along his development timeline as of today. The difficulty is projecting where each player will be in ~3-4 years... when they would be expected to be a leader on a playoff team.

If Chet can knock down some of those open 3's that he missed last night, he'd be lethal. His fadeaway jump shot in the lane is already unguardable -- similar to Durant's or even Yao's.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Chet didn’t look great offensively. Other than his fade away 7 footer and fairly open dunks he was just there.

definitely a presence defensively.

He’s kind of just been there as another guy, albeit an important one, all year for the Zags. They just have so many good players.

I’m not making any proclamations this year lol. Chet, Paulo, Jabari, Someone else… see what position the pick is and will let scouts debate from there and hope Rockets make the right choice lol.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

There is a lot of delusion going on around Chet. The biggest issue isn't his weight but his frame. If you want to look at frames, go look at young skinny AD or Mobley, both 20-30 lbs heavier but their shoulders are a good 6-10 inches wider. You compare Chet's picture taken with any regular high schooler online, you see that his frame is narrower than the average kid asking him for a shot. He simply won't be able to bulk up for the league.

I am not in love with Paolo. And Paolo not being a #1 pick doesn't make Chet a better prospect. Paolo has tones of Melo in him, complete on offense, questionable on defense. They have the same size (a smidge larger) but practically the same type of game.

For me Chet isn't a top 3 pick due to risks associated with him. He'll never play center in the league. He doesn't rebound well for his size. You basically have to pray he can develop like a bigger skinnier white Durant on offense while being a wealside PF on D. This is a huge ask when a players path to success is needs to mirror a NBA all time great. How many Durants has the league drafted recently?

Adjusted for risk and average outcomes, Paolo is a top 3 pick lock with a case for 1. The only player on his tier right now is Jabari Bird. If no one rises later on, Paolo can still go first.

Chet isn't a top 3 pick. Sure his ceiling is sky high, but his low can be extremely low. I put him in the 4-6 range adjusted for risk.

Denovo and palmsnbananas like this.
  10. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Banchero is the best player in this class, though I wish we could've seen him in the 2nd half without cramps (and as locked in as he was in the 1st). Chet's body limits his potential, and I don't think he has the frame to add much weight.

It may be too early to project but Banchero / Green / Sengun is an unusual trio, functionally speaking. I hope we can find a solid setup PG who can also defend. We'll also need lots of 3D guys to surround those three.

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Banchero is a great offensive player but he’s not a better player than Chet, period.
    Chet is a better athlete, longer, more upside, elite defender and has the tools to be elite offensively.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Here we go again with the shoulder width stuff. We said that about Mobley and he doesnt look bad after all.

I'll take Banchero. He's a tank and looks about the same height as Chet. Play him as center. Garuba looks 6'6 with compared to him

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Banchero was significantly shorter than Chet, and far less long.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The other part of the conversation is everyone says Chet will be injury prone but he bangs with anyone and still plays.
    Banchero has went out of 2-3 games already. Cramps are one thing, but they tend to lead to soft tissue injuries.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

And the DUI I know he’s just a kid but making mistakes like that while you are being considered for the top pick shows really bad judgment.

What about when he starts making millions??

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Paolo CLAMPED Chet to start the game and set the tone. He scored while his teammates were struggling. He plays superb complimentary defense and can switch 1-5. His court vision is great. Not many flaws other than 3 point shooting and that has been improving. 6’10 250 and still growing. If he doesn’t cramp up he goes for 30+ and separates even more. Guy gets up for big games - can’t coach that. The perfect prospect.

red5rocket likes this.
  17. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I think Chet will be a great player but he is way too skinny right now. However, you can see his handles and moves. You can see he was timid yesterday and the stage was too big for him. He is a better shooter from the outside than last night and he is a problem on the defense side of the game, not many layups against him if he play more aggressive. His game is more to shoot the outside 3s or he will drive to the basket(like Sengun) but this is not Gonzaga’s offense so this is a problem for Chet. Watch Chet at the end of the year and he is going to be a different type of player, he is going to be more aggressive and confident.

18. JamesC

JamesC Member

I like both prospects but Banchero seems to have that alpha dog mentality that the Rockets could use. I can’t remember which game it was but he hit a turnaround jump shot from the baseline that was very reminiscent of the dream shake.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Banchero is way better than Chet we just saw them 1 on 1 and he dominated him made him look like a high schooler, it’s not even close.

Chets one of those guys that can drop 100 pts on inferior competition like Tacko Fall but that is all irrelevant bc when you play him against a real NBA body he’s literally being bounced around and manhandled. Also there is zero similarity between Chet and KG, do you even know who KG is lol?

Chet may end up being a decent role player in the Nba, bc that’s what he is on his current team a decent role player. Why would anyone think that a guy that’s relegated to playing defense in the NCAA will be a superstar scorer in the nba lol? Granted there will be better spacing in the nba but I don’t see him beating anyone off the dribble in the NBA.

20. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Bad judgement leads to knocking up insta-hoes and paying child support for the next 18 years of your 12 year career. Usually doesn't affect the player during his career, but bankrupts him later on.

Rudyc281 likes this.