1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 3, 2021.

1. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

2. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

Yea, that >.250 BA to go with the sub .300 OBP really look awesome.

3. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

He's a free agent after the 2022 season.....

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. HTown2017Champs

Mullins would be a huge get - Great bat, 5-tool CF, excellent all-around player. Controllable for 4 years. Here's my proposed trade package.

Astros get:
    CF Cedric Mullins

Orioles get:
    OF Pedro Leon
    RHP Luis Garcia
    3B Joe Perez
    OF Matthew Barefoot

Very hefty package but of course the price would be very high for a player like Mullins. I think he's worth it.

6. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

I’d do that deal. I’d see if we could swap out Garcia for Urquidy… but if push came to shove… I’d do it

arif1127 likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Won what?

And they were not really full time if a remember correctly?

Could be wrong.

8. Major

Major Member

At least for the 50ish games he'll likely be healthy.

Nook likes this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That’s a steep price. Swapping Urquidy for Garcia would make it closer to fair imho. But it wouldn’t surprise me if that was Baltimore’s price.

If Houston could re-sign Correa, they might be able to use Pena to get Mullins. Maybe Mullins for Pena and Whitley. But what a lineup that would be:

2B Altuve
    RF Tucker
    3B Bregman
    DH Alvarez
    SS Correa
    CF Mullins
    1B Gurriel
    LF Brantley
    C Maldonado
    Bench: Diaz, Castro, McCormick, Jones

#1129 Snake Diggit, Nov 26, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    Htown Legend and King1 like this.
  10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

A sell high situation on the part of the Orioles. He's only had 1 good season... and was basically a platoon guy before 2021.

Nook and IowaAstro like this.
  11. HTown2017Champs

He was a switch hitter prior to this year, when he decided to become a LHH exclusively. I think that explains why he struggled against LHP before - hitting as a righty was never really natural for him. Though he does seem like a “sell high” candidate, his peripherals say his breakout shouldn’t be considered a fluke. He is also very fast, and can swipe 30 bags a year. While Marte is a hot name mentioned, Mullins is younger, and by the time he hits FA he’ll still be younger than Marte’s current age.

For those who’d rather trade Urquidy than Garcia- I don’t think Urquidy fits what BAL wants. Garcia has 2 more years of control, and would be more long-term, thus fitting their window better. Plus I’m under the impression other teams may see some injury concern with Urquidy.

Htown Legend likes this.
  12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not sure what 'won what' means. Anyway, Berkman played around 160 games there and Biggio around 250.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok, I just remember them looking very awkward out there.

What I meant by won, was going to the playoffs and winning but that is deeper than them playing CF.

Sorry, still bitter about the playoff futility with those teams.

bobrek likes this.
  14. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Tim?

15. The Beard

Damn, I was thinking two more years....Yea that might be too much for one year, but still think it's a decent frame to work a deal

16. The Beard

Mullins was awesome last year, but had never shown that kind of ability before

No way I'm including Garcia or Urquidy in a deal for him

17. HTown2017Champs

Mullins had a career AVG of about 250 and OPS around 750 against RHP from 2018-2020. During that time frame he was a switch hitter, and hitting righty against LHP he was borderline unplayable. That’s what really makes his numbers look bad. Then, for 2021, he abandoned switch hitting and for at least much of the year, was one of the better LHH against LHP. He’s a naturally left-handed person who took up switch hitting at a relatively late stage. Look it up, this has been elk-documented.

18. The Beard

Yea I have no problem believing that, and no doubt he was a stud this year

Maybe it's just me, but i'm still gonna need more than 1 great year from a guy who will be 28 next year if i'm gonna give up one of our cheap young starters plus Leon (who is 5 years younger and could very well be as good or better)

I don't think most people understand how valuable it is having Framber/Urquidy/Garcia/Javier for the amount we are paying them. That is a huge reason we can afford the others we pay so much for

Putting Leon in a deal for Mullins would be a gamble, potentially one worth taking

Putting Leon and one of our cheap starters together in a deal for him has a pretty low chance of working out, in my opinion

19. HTown2017Champs

I think Hunter Brown can easily slot in and be at least a #4/5 this year, with a very high ceiling, and his service time clock is still at 0. TBH he's far more untouchable than anyone other than Korey Lee.
    Right now we're set to have LMJ, JV, and probably Valdez 1-3. After, we have a glutton of depth that can and should be flipped to strengthen the team during this window. Bielak and Solomon can also spot start if needed (or, rather, when) assuming neither is traded. I'd say roll with Lance, Verlander, Valdez, Urquidy, and one more ace (trade), and then use depth to improve the lineup. But that's me.

20. The Beard

Will just have to agree to disagree

If we move Leon and Urquidy/Garcia for Mullins, not sure who we are moving for that other Ace?

I like Brown too as a prospect, but he is just that, a prospect. No way i'm going into the season counting on him over Urquicy or Garcia.

And....if we move Leon and a young starter for Mullins, we ain't getting another Ace without Brown/Pena in a deal, and we certainly can't move Pena if we ain't signing Correa. And, if we do sign Correa, we ain't trading for another Ace making a lot of money, and we certainly won't have the prospect capital left to trade for an Ace who isn't making big money

I just see no upside at all to a deal moving one of our starters plus Leon for Mullins, even if Mullins can repeat last year. Pitching is just too hard to find

But that's just me