1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Fantasma Negro

I actually rather enjoyed this movie. It's not winning any academy awards but its the kind of movie that we need more of right now, a dumb, action comedy, with no hidden agenda. I probably won't be going to a movie theatre maybe ever again so it was really cool to get a clearly big budget movie like this on Netflix. The women in this movie are gorgeous the scenery is really nice and the action sequences that mix comedy like Rock totaling that beautiful Porsche seconds after starting the engine were perfect touches. The script was a tad juvenile, you could tell that Rock and Reynolds had some creative control and both of these guys are as typecast as themselves as anyone in Hollywood, this was Red Notice featuring Deadpool and Dr. Smolder Bravestone but in a good way. The only problem I had with this movie was the twist ending that kind of renders the rest of the movie pretty dubious. Also the Deadpool dialogue gets a bit tired, it didn't bother me as much as Free Guy but it gets to a twelve year old nephew level, you still love the guy but at times you want him to shut the **** up. In my personal opinion this movie is a solid 6.2/10

FrontRunner likes this.
  2. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Old 4/10. On paper this is probably a 7 or 8 but in execution it didn't work. Compelling idea but the mediocre writing and acting brought this one down.
    [​IMG]

Jungle Cruise 6.5/10. It's a fun kids movie so I've rated it on a curve. It felt like a mix between Temple of Doom and The Mummy with special effects from the Pirates movies. Worth watching if you like Emily Blunt or hearing a lot of puns from the Rock.
    [​IMG]

3. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

Equilibrium (2002) - that was very eh. 6/10. I think the >7 IMDB rating doesn't hold up well. The dystopian story might have seemed more cutting edge when the movie came out, but there are better movies in that genre.

Maltese Falcon 6.5/10 - I started this a few months ago after watching Casablanca for the Xth time. I finally finished it last night and just didn't really care for the movie that much. I probably did it a disservice splitting it up over time (and unfairly comparing it to Casablanca). For now, I'll stick to Casablanca and To Kill a Mockingbird when I want to watch a really old movie....

B-Bob likes this.
  4. conquistador#11

Boogie. 2 out of 10 on HBO Max. Release date 2021.
    I watched it after one of those Rockets early games.
    I think the plot was ok. Asian balla', not the poster, from the hood not Palo Alto enrolls in a prep school to bring greatness to a trash team.
    It tries to show the complexities in cultures between Chinese American and OG Chinese.
    My problem is that it wasn't believable. For beginners, they should have casted an 30 year old that looked at least 20 something. The main dude looks like 40 year old Asian Raymond Felton. Why are there no videos of this pg passing? or shooting. Minimal basketball scenes showing his "phenom" game. But what bothered me the most was that these students go to a prep school take AP English and they're acting like it's Stand and Deliver or Dangerous Minds before the teacher shows up. They couldn't come up with one coming of age novel! Not The House On Mango St. Not The Body.

I did like how the dude's father trained him so it gets a 2.

#9484 conquistador#11, Nov 25, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  5. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles 9/10. I watch this every year with the family around Thanksgiving time. Such a great movie!

Colt45, ROCKSS, Slyonebluejay and 3 others like this.
  6. Roscoe Arbuckle

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I believe this film came out on Thanksgiving as I remember going to see it with a friend. It is a very funny movie and I've probably seen it once or twice a year since it's been shown on TV. I couldn't tell you how many times I've either fully or partially watched it. Some of it is just timeless comedy.

couple of d's likes this.
  8. JW86

JW86 Member

I could not get past that annoying voice of the robot, I tried, but it's just an odd choice to me to have it sound like that.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Sadako vs. Kayako

Ju-hon vs The Ring.

Yeah, it was as terrible as it sounds, they had them fight against each other to try and remove the curse.

If anybody likes good bad movies, it's worth a watch alone to see how the teacher who wanted to see the video get killed it was a real WTF moment.

10. JW86

JW86 Member

Dune - 6/10
    Okay, so let me start off by saying I didn’t know anything about the book nor have seen anything prior to this movie. So as for those who’ve seen it can imagine, for a story with this many unknown tribes, worlds and just different language and words for certain phenomena and everyday life, it’s hard to follow everything.

I get the gist of the story, but there’s a lot lost in translation, for the lack of a better word and pun intended. At least if you want to connect to the characters, understand the intricacies and immerse yourself, you need at least a solid introduction of what is going on or allow for more explanation throughout the movie.

Another side to this is that when you sit through a movie that runs a very solid 2.5 hours and you expect it to have an ending, then of course you’re not going to have a great experience no matter how good the movie is. Luckily, about an hour before it ended I told my friend that I get the feeling it’s going to have an open ending, rushed last half hour or a sequel.

Luckily it will have a sequel, because I think this 2.5 hours was pretty much a setup for the good part of the story to begin. Regardless of all of this, it’s pretty damn long and dragged out for this small of a plot since it didn’t really move forward.

Now the movie itself is gorgeous, cinematography A+, some solid acting and great scenes. Loved the visions in particular. I’m not in love with the main male character though, kind of a random face that doesn’t tell you very much, a bit forgettable but that might be how he was written.

I was not that impressed with the screenplay either, it was a few of the characters - parents and Javier Bardem - the score and scenery that varied the movie. I do think this movie didn’t need Bautista, Momoa, Brolin nor do I think the main villain was very well cast.

I rather their would’ve been more focus, a backstory and showing of the Fremen and other people. There’s very little distinction between different tribes or sides, to the point that fights are quite forgettable and dull. The world itself is already bland, a desert, rocky and earthy so some great costumes would’ve at least helped to distinguish and give them more personality.

That being said, the special masks and robes they were in the desert had a nice touch. Also loved the way they made the blue eyes look. Just gorgeous. But to me the lack of colour, variety and a focus on the people’s and culture or what distinguishes them was key to not feeling too impressed about the movie as a whole.

I still feel part 2 can be great, but with some different choices that would’ve made it more appealing to a broader audience and put some of the money into a better fitting and charismatic cast - more like GoT - instead of going for star power would’ve made it more enjoyable.

What saved it from being a mediocre movie was the mystery, the idea of what was to come, some of the otherworldly things supported by wonderful CGI and score. It did just enough to keep me interested in a sequel, so for that they deserve credit.

#9490 JW86, Nov 28, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

No Time to Die - Latest installment of the Bond franchise. Very action packed. I liked the pacing, but I totally forgot what happened in the movie before, you know the one between this one and the surprisingly good Skyfall. It had the hacker from Mr. Robot, something something happens. Oh hai new Q and M! Boom boom yadda yadda…Mr. Robot didn’t die?

Below references semi spoilers that you’d already know from their promotional trailers:

Anna di Armas is always stunning, but she seemed more like a checkbox for Bond girl and was whisked away for Craig’s personal arc. Not sure if they’ll bring her back, but they should.

The new Bond Girl. Will be interested in seeing how that goes. Franchise could get woke and neckbeardy…but that’s not this movie. This is Craig’s movie.

Cory Fukanaga brought in his no-cut sequence and it delivers.

There’s really not much to hate with this movie if you love Craig’s Bond. The WMD device is pretty hokey and flimsy (when isn’t it), but did its job giving the sense of Saving the World urgency.

The main knocks are that forgetting key plot points of the last movie will leave you in the dark for the first half an hour and Daniel Craig’s Bond is not like the traditional Bond series of old.

That next movie though…

8.0 (plus .5 if you remembered the las tmovie, minus .5 if you missed the older bonds)

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I really enjoyed Dune I think they captured the overall trippy sci fi vibe of the book about as well as a 2 hour movie could -- 8/10. I hope they are able to complete the second part without a long delay.

13. supaflyz

supaflyz Member

I saw it the first time then saw it again the second time on HBO max. The visuals are captivating. Never seen another movie that I was just awe struck by the visuals other than Lord of The Rings and Jurassic Park when I was a kid. The second time I thought it was a little slow.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. supaflyz

supaflyz Member

Inglorious Basterds. Saw it again in 4k this time. Also saw it with a better center channel speaker so the dialogue was much clearer. Outstanding film. 8/10

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dune - 9/10

I saw it in a Dolby experience theater. It was amazing. Definitely worth seeing on the big screen with everything that goes with it. Visually amazing. I will back up what @supaflyz said about the visuals and being in awe.

I haven't read the books, but did read some articles about the background information of the setting. I think it helped. I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more hype.

The lore, and complexity of society, and different factions as well as monsters, bad guys, and all make it seem like a good set up for fanboy heaven.

If I was a kid, I would love this movie and series the way I did the original Star War series when I was a kid.

cheke64, daywalker02 and supaflyz like this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Shang-Chi and the 10 Rings

7-8/10

Pretty good for a Marvel movie. The last half of it was WTF? Dragons fighting each other, pretty predictable story, the first fight on the bus and the building fighting was really cool, Akwafina was annoying like everyone else has been telling me; she had more lines than just about everyone, the fighting was very well done although I thought the dance fighting was super weird, funny weird cameo from the Mandarin, I resonated with the Asian culture a lot when the grandma asked when they would get married haha.

17. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Latest movies I've watched. Rated Vest to Worst

13 Mighty Orphans 9.5
    Great movie for any football fan.
    Based on a true story. Highly recommend.
    I loved this movie!!!!!!

Stillwater 8.0
    Good movie based on a true story.

Joe Bell 7.0
    OK. Not great. Based on a true story.

Cry Macho 6.5
    OK. Not great.

18. CCorn

CCorn Member

Encounter on Amazon. Stars the Indian/paki guy that didn’t play Freddy Mercury.

Plot was predictable but it was still a fun ride since I went in with no expectations.

19. JW86

JW86 Member

Red Notice - 8 / 10 - Pleasantly surprised, especially because of the negative reviews and me being tired of Ryan Reynold and the same type of character he always plays. In this kind of film it worked, also because of good writing, I was laughing a lot. Gal & The Rock also delivered and it was really a solid action movie, throwback to the glory days of the 90s, which many movies nowadays can just not do properly. It's either too forced, corny comedy and or just out of place or the action is not that great. I thought this had great scenery, solid action, even to the point of ridiculous but it worked. Plot wise it was predictable yet the twists were not necessarily foreshadowed or still just caught me off guard. Very entertaining!

cheke64, Slyonebluejay and B-Bob like this.
  20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

On point review. I Invited my daughter to go watch it at the theater she imediately pulled a yt trailer on her phone and fastly declined. Me and my son came out asking who and what the hell was going on? Is this movie an analogy for the iraq oil invasion?