1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Dad died this morning from Alzheimer's

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Alzheimer's Disease is an absolute nightmare. It took my Dad this morning and was ultra-aggressive in doing so. It probably took 4 - 5 years. My Dad is the one pictured at the console in my avatar pic training John Glenn on the Mercury capsule for his historic Friendship 7 orbit around the Earth flight.

My Dad went on to do so many great things at NASA covering all the programs from Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, Soyuz, Space Shuttle, ISS, etc. . His area of focus and expertise was in astronaut training and simulations...preparing the astronauts for spaceflight missions. He was project manager over the building of the Space Shuttle simulator at NASA Johnson Space Center...that trained the astronauts for Shuttle missions. He was there in the beginning starting in 1958 after graduating from The Citadel military college and retired from NASA in 1999. He worked with most of the great astronauts back in the day.

Anyway, Alzheimer's slowly took his brain, his function, his ability to walk, his ability to move, his ability to eat solid food, his ability to swallow, and his ability to breathe. The final two things it took just in the past three days or so. He was on morphine and died peacefully at home. Thankfully, I was able to visit him yesterday and say goodbye. I thought he would still be around for another visit on Thanksgiving but it wasn't meant to be. He died on my Mom's birthday of all days...who was in the next room at their home. :(

My Dad was a great human being who loved his work, loved raising a family, loved being there for his two sons (when he basically had an absentee military father growing up who was in WWII and a POW camp), and was supportive in every way possible. He was kind of a strong-opinioned, quirky man who loved to gripe and nag but that just made his personality what it was. He didn't show a lot of outward emotions and wasn't a touchy/feely kind of guy. I don't think he ever told me he loved me but I know he did through his actions.

Alzheimer's is such a terrible thing and he didn't deserve any of that. He was taken care of best he could have been.

I welcome any prayers for him. I said mine as soon as I found out after I got the dreaded call this morning. :(

Unfortunately, he died a few times because he lost his mental faculties along the way and forgot who I was. So sad. I'll miss our conversations, the griping, the nagging...all of it. What I wouldn't give to have him back the way he was. So long, Dad. He was 84 years old and around 79 - 80 when he started showing the dreaded signs. He lived a full life but the latter part of life wasn't kind.

#1 Surfguy, Nov 24, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    RasaqBoi, Tomstro, htownrox1 and 51 others like this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

My condolences, Surfguy. I lost my father almost 7 years ago (he had Parkinson's, also a terrible disease), and I think about him every day.

It sounds like your dad was a super impressive man.

Cherish the memories.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Sorry to hear man. Condolences @Surfguy

Surfguy likes this.
  4. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Sorry for your loss. My dad is a retired astronaut, odds are he knew your dad!

BigShasta, Jontro and Surfguy like this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

my condolences as well. really beautiful description of him, though, @Surfguy . I really appreciate having learned about him.

FrontRunner and Surfguy like this.
  6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Sorry for your loss but, judging from your memories of him, at least you got to experience decades of greatness before he passed.

rocketsjudoka and Surfguy like this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hi Surfguy -- never knew that about your avatar on here. I love so many of those early NASA stories and the amazing people. We're losing them rapidly. I'm sorry for our loss and here today especially for yours. Thanks for sharing it with us.

8. Surfguy

This is true. My Dad was totally into all my sports growing up. He would come to my basketball, baseball, and soccer games. I have one very distinct memory of him standing behind the metal cage surrounding at home plate watching me play in a game where I hit four homeruns and one double in the game. It was the red, mechanical pitching machine type baseball game. But, what a day that was.

Also, so many memories of us playing catch with the NFL leather football, throwing the baseball back and forth, and playing basketball on the driveway at my childhood home. Every son should have those memories. And, going to see the Astros, Oilers, and Rockets play back in the day. Those were such great times...even if the home team always had a habit of letting us down by losing! ;)

And, lest not forget the memory the time we went deep sea fishing out of Galveston but had to sit on the bench on the outside of the cabin and the motion got us so sick we never dropped a line to fish. We went into the air-conditioned cabin and laid down. Going out to sea for tens of miles on a boat that goes up and down over chop/waves the whole time is no picnic. The Dramamine didn't help one bit. No fish that day. But, we did a ton of other shore fishing all around, like on Clear Lake and the Texas City Dike.

I cherish those memories and am thankful I got to do them.

I appreciate everyone's well wishes and words so far. You'll make me feel better on this tragic day.

#8 Surfguy, Nov 24, 2021
  9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Very sorry for your loss, and thank you for sharing all the wonderful stories and experiences.

jakedasnake and Surfguy like this.
  10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Definitely consider those memories to be the most valuable commodity in life.

Surfguy likes this.
  11. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Sorry for your loss ... Sounds like you have a lifetime of memories to cherish, and what a fantastic life he lived.

Surfguy likes this.
  12. VanityHalfBlack

My condolences bro.

Surfguy likes this.
  13. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Sorry for your loss @Surfguy. Watching our parents pass is not something fun to go through and really helps ring home how mortal we really are. When my father passed, I posted a similar passage on CF and found it to be very therapeutic...mostly being able to tell how great my dad was (even though none of you ever met him). I'm happy for you and your family to have gotten so many good years with your dad and hope that during this holiday season (and beyond) you will be able to celebrate the good memories of him. Thoughts and prayers to your family.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What a great writeup - am very sorry for your loss Surfguy.

Prayers to you and your family.....

DD

Surfguy likes this.
  15. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Condolences, sorry for your loss.

Prayers for you and your family as well.

Surfguy likes this.
  16. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

So sorry, what a great recount of your Dad.......that disease is F`d up, so sorry dude

Surfguy likes this.
  17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'm sorry man.

That's a great writeup of his life. My grandfather was the PR guy for Lockheed during the 1970's, I bet they met.

Rest in peace.

Surfguy likes this.
  18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Sorry for your loss. Alzheimer's hits the surrounding family harder than others.

Thank you for sharing a glimpse of the great man that is your father and that he can live on in you and your families hearts.

May be rest in peace.

Surfguy likes this.
  19. Surfguy

The part I'm dreading is having to return to that house tomorrow and see an empty room. Just trying to fathom him not there and gone. My bro sent me a picture of him following the transport of him to the funeral home. It's just all so surreal. I've never dealt with a loss so close to home. I thought putting down dogs was bad. And, I didn't think I would cry so much as I don't think of myself as a cryer.

When you have so many bad memories in the house your parents live in (not my childhood home), it's not something you want to keep around after. There were good memories there but so many bad memories came later. My Dad used to "sundown" around that house. Sun-downing is where Alzheimer's patients can't sleep at night so they get up and wander doing all sorts of crazy things in the middle of the night over and over again after you try to put them back to bed. They lose the sense that day is for doing things and night is for sleeping. It's like they are rising in the morning at night instead of going to sleep. It's the opposite. And, you have to monitor them to make sure they don't leave the house or whatever else. We used to have sensors in the hallway that would blare an alarm when he walked by so we could get up to assist him. Imagine trying to get a good rest in such an environment.

It was actually a sad relief when he could no longer walk...cause then we didn't have to do that. Then, you just worry about him falling out of bed or his chair...hurting himself....which he did and had to have a rod inserted in his leg. He was always wanting to get up even if he couldn't walk and go home...meaning a home we lived in two decades ago that he thought was his current home. He always thought he was on vacation or something...even though he was in the current home he owned. Going to visit Dad when he was at the "home" for brain-impaired, he thought he was in a hotel room and he would be leaving with us to go home. You just had to sneak out of there when he dozed off. Heartbreaking. And, the first time you had to leave him there and he's asking the people there where his family is trying to get out of there. :( I'm so thankful we got to bring him home from that place where he could live out the remainder of his days in his own home.

I mean...Alzheimer's is f-ed, man. I wish they had a clue how it started. And, they better f-ing figure it out sooner rather than later. Apparently, there is a medicine that they are testing on mice that clears up the Alzheimer's gunk in the brain and restores brain function some to those already in the midst of the disease. Let's pray it pans out and works on humans.

#19 Surfguy, Nov 24, 2021
  20. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Sorry for your loss. My MIL passed away recently from ALZ. She passed away 10 years to the day after the passing of her Husband. He probably worked with your Father at NASA as he was there from the early 60's until he retired around 2003. Cancer is what got him and it was sad to watch my MIL lose it to ALZ over the past 4-5 years.

All the best to you and your family as you celebrate his life and mourn is death.

Surfguy likes this.