1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Astros Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Maldonado had 7 ABs in the '19 World Series, and - offensively: JT Realmuto >>>>>>>>>>>> Martin Maldonado (as well as Robinson Chirinos)

Squirtle likes this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Chirinos batted great in the Series as well (power, not average). Reddick did not. You can put as many >'s as you want, but having Tucker bat over Reddick that Series has a much likelier positive impact than Realmuto batting over Chirinos and MM. Short term, Realmuto would have given Astros an edge in one regular season that Astros had best record in without him already. Other than that, Tucker has been as good, costs less allowing the Astros to have other players that help win games, and wouldn't have been a free agent.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I agree on paper it makes the team better. Still have to go out and do it. There is no guarantee.

The Astros had two HoF’ers not do so well in the postseason. You just never know.

awc713 likes this.
  5. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

If you want to win the 2019 World Series, just don’t trade Josh Hader for Carlos Gomez and ****stick Fiers.

Wulaw Horn, raining threes and Nook like this.
  6. Hey Now!

My one and only argument here is that the initial tweet is disingenuous.: you were not trading Kyle Tucker for '20-'21 JT Realmuto at @ $30MM. You would've been trading Tucker for '19-'20 Realmuto @ $16MM. That is a far more interesting discussion, because...

As good as they were in '19, the Astros would've been better with Realmuto. And in a World Series in which they scored 11 runs in 4 home games - including just 4 in the last 2 - adding a bat as good as Realmuto's may've made the difference. On no planet is any baseball fan taking Chirinos/Maldy over Realmuto. That's silly.

But I never - not then, not now - advocated trading Kyle Tucker. But using '20-'21 numbers is a big swing & miss.

7. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Damn Graveman close to white Sox deal per Heyman

Snake Diggit likes this.
  8. Hey Now!

If, before the Series started, I offered you the opportunity to replace Chirinos and Maldonado with Realmuto, they'd have to invent a new time measurement to clock how quickly you'd accept that switch.

But, again - I'm not arguing they should've done the deal - only that the initial tweet is disingenuous. The question isn't '20/'21 Tucker for '20/'21 Realmuto - it's '19/'20 Tucker for '19/'20 Realmuto, and only with 2 years hindsight can you definitely say "SEE, TWITTER MORONS!" At the time, that would've been a HUGE deal with significant short-term ROI.

9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I don't think you get Mullins without giving up 2 of Brown, Pena, or Lee plus some additional prospects.

Brown, Lee, Perez, and Abreu might get it done just for Mullins...

10. Marteen

Marteen Member

There is draft compensation coming their way if it goes through, but ouchies. Loved the bullpen.

11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

What are you talking about? There is no draft compensation involved in Graveman.

12. Marteen

Marteen Member

My fault. I thought he got a QO and declined.

13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

You can't give a player a qualifying offer that was traded during the season. I don't think the Astros would have offered it even if they could have.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

That Pedro Baez deal is really not looking good.

I don’t blame Graveman getting enough money to support his immediate family for life.

15. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

It hurts, but honestly I'm not too upset about it. Graveman wasn't the same pitcher for the Astros as he was for Seattle.

mikol13 and No Worries like this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

pretty crowded over there with liam, kimbrel, and graveman now

desihooper likes this.
  17. awc713

awc713 Member

Hasn’t CWS been shopping Kimbrel?

18. HTown2017Champs

No draft comp. Only for players who were tendered a QO. This sucks, I’m going to miss Graveman. Just really liked the guy. And TBH I thought he’d get more.
    If we re-sign Yimi Garcia I’m going to puke.

19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

At that price I'm surpised the Astros weren't willing to go there for Graveman...

It looks to me like the Astros are keeping Montero. Otherwise, why not cut him and protect someone else from the rule 5 draft last week?

raining threes likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Astros offered Graveman more money than the White Sox per season, but the Astros wanted a one year deal - said they may go longer later in the winter. Graveman decided to take the larger total years and number. I like Graveman but with his arm injuries I probably would have take the 3 year deal too.