1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green - what are your expectations for this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 11, 2021.

1. TimDuncanDonaut

I'm liking the Green and Gordon combo somewhat. Gordon maybe to trust Green more, especially in clutch game situations. Let Green be more part of the action or even run a few plays, be more than just dribble hand off and iso plays.

2. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I see tremendous potential and a willingness to play team ball. I can only hope that he isn’t discouraged by their slide and that he keeps developing. The rookies this year are pretty special and I think we got one of the best ones. I still think Mobley will be the best player out of this draft, but from what I’ve seen I’m pretty confident that Jalen will be a star.

3. fattz

fattz Member

We have two players not playing so we can see Green, and Gordon still freezes him out at times. That is incredible.

The system is broken. Just run plays for Green, Coach —> if you have any. Do you?

Squirtle and Verbal Christ like this.
  4. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Nah they really weren't stars at a young age. Zidane had clubs in the UK flat out stating they didn't think he was good enough to play in the 1st division (the league BELOW the premier league) in the mid 90's before he went to Juventus. Figo wasn't a star until he moved to Barca age 23. To claim that 19 year old superstars in football is a common thing is just completely false. You can't use the Messi types as the rule, that's like holding up Jordan or Kareem as "typical" basketball players, it's asinine. Even Cristiano Ronaldo had to work his way up into Utd's first team and had coaches let their vets kick him about in practise because he was too soft and trying to do too much, because nobody is a sure thing as a teenager.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That would upstage my comment but in hindsight also sabotages whatever their original idea was: promote Jalen Green.

He is such an unknown that has some 'crash potential' as you put it.

Fair enough.

(And yes, good scouts are still finding those star players, it is just a success ratio. 16-18 = best age)

6. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

You know the season is going really bad when people start talking about soccer in the GARM.

#926 Chilly_Pete, Nov 22, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    Yung-T and daywalker02 like this.
  7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Why you attacking KPJ like that?

8. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Thinly disguised KPJ sucks post.

Squirtle and cheke64 like this.
  9. xaos

xaos Member

So far averaging:
    14.4 ppg
    2.4 apg
    3.3 rpg
    29.5% 3 point %

A little under what I was expecting. I wanted Green at #2 and contrary to the common folk who thinks all Green supporters thought he was going to come in scoring 20+ ppg "because he was NBA ready" I certainly thought he was going to struggle early on, just not this bad. I think he's struggled for a combination of things, but I won't get into those.

I also thought his second half stats would improve based on 2 simple factors: simply having more experience and Gordon/Wood traded. Now we have Gordon/KPJ/Schröder/Josh/Green/Mathews at the guard spot with some potential for Nix/Queen coming up, that won't help his numbers. Hopefully we focus on developing the young guys post all-star break and Gordon/Schröder aren't getting much PT. However, last 3-5 games or so we've been playing a very different offense with very different lineups. There's still hope that we focus on developing our young players - Sengun/Green/Josh mostly.

I think for the remainder of the season he'll average above what I originally predicted for the whole season, but not sure the second half stats will bring his total season averages up to what I thought he would average for the season. So, remaining games:

Post All-Star Break:
    17 ppg
    3 apg
    3 rpg
    33% 3 point %

That should bring his average to about:
    15.5 ppg
    2.6 apg
    3.1 rpg
    30% 3 point %

Not enough to get him rookie of the year. Not enough to call him a bust. Not enough to feel good about picking him over Mobley. But, enough to feel like he can be a legit high scorer in this league, which is one of the hardest skills to come by. He's shown enough pick and roll play making ability for me to believe he will not be a black hole, but develop his passing enough to make it hard for teams to double-team him when he is hot. He has shown me enough improvement on 1 on 1 defense for me to believe he can be an average defender to good -- and I really don't care to see what the numbers on this says. I have seen them and understand the correlation between good defenders and these metrics. He has completely sucked on team defense, so there's only blind hope that he can figure that out, because with today's NBA, team defense is more critical for the season/first 10 minutes of each quarter than 1 on 1 defense.

Overall, so far he has not met expectations, but not by that much. My expectations weren't 20+ ppg rookie scorer who suddenly becomes the best player ever. Plus... he's only...

wait for it...

wait for it...

20 years old. ;)

BigM and vator like this.
  10. vator

vator Contributing Member

I feel like this is a solid post. I was torn between Green and Mobley. I really liked Green and was ok with the pick, but hindsight is 20/20. I think recent picks like Wiseman and Bagley over players like Melo Ball, Trae Young, and Luka may have given me pause on Mobley. Turns out Mobely's game translated to the NBA just fine. In fact, the day of the draft, I posted that I felt like passing on Mobley would be a huge mistake, not because I didn't like Green, but because of all the things that Mobley was already solid at with his height and length.

All that being said, I know these redrafts are floating around, and if you look at redrafts from any previous draft after 1 year, 3 years, and 5 years later they all fluctuate immensely. One year and a rookie of the year award doesn't determine anything at all. Knowing what I know today, I wouldn't take Green over Cunningham and Mobley, but even after watching his struggles, I would still take my chances on his upside over pretty much any other player in this draft. Obviously, you could make a strong argument to me for the upside of guys like Barnes and Giddey especially because they do a little bit of everything and I'm a fan of both guys. They just seem to me like the classic higher floor, but lower ceiling type of guys. Definitely a safer bet than picking Green though. Then Wagner, Suggs, Mitchell, Dosunmu, etc., are good players and will be in the league a long time, but I think Green is going to be really good eventually as he figures out the NBA and his body matures.

BigM and xaos like this.
  11. xaos

xaos Member

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

My expectations are growing, and that is a good thing.

DD

13. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

My expectations for next year are 20 ppg, major ball handling duties, getting knocked to the ground on drives 5 times a game.

matchesmalone and DaDakota like this.
  14. jayfree

jayfree Member

I feel the draft is behind us and no use going back. Green will be a good enough player to put that Mobley debate to rest. Not saying they are the same players but would you have picked Jordan over Olajuwon knowing what you know now? Would Jordan have been the player he was with the Rockets and got a ring and would Houston even had won a few rings? Hell, would Jordan even had stayed with the Rockets if given the opportunity to leave?

I've been happy from day one with Green and feel his upside is bigger than Mobely's game. Mobley would have to turn into an AD or KG type player to make me feel otherwise, even then Green could be a Vince Carter type himself. When it comes down to it, I feel in 5 years Green will have the tools to be one of the best players (not only in the draft but in the league), but for now I'm happy with seeing him grow as a student of the game and enjoy the ride that is to be.

15. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Getting higher every game

Believe It! and DaDakota like this.
  16. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

While we are pulling up old receipts … are we still excited about a Green for Giddey swap?

fchowd0311 and topfive like this.
  17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Needs to bump his scoring just a little more over the last few games and I’d say I did alright with my prediction.

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Jalen's doing pretty well for a feminine kid. o_O

red5rocket, Reeko, alethios and 3 others like this.
  19. vator

vator Contributing Member

Jalen’s Current Season Averages:

♦️16.1 Pts
    ♦️2.6 Ast
    ♦️3.3 Reb
    ♦️0.3 Blk
    ♦️0.7 Stl
    ♦️2 TO
    ♦️41.7% FG
    ♦️33.4% 3PT
    ♦️80.3% FT