1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Daniel Theis' contract a positive asset?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 20, 2021.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

This is my concern as well. It narrows the list to contenders, obviously, but it has to be a team that does not consider 2023 cap room important. Or, perhaps, they're willing if they want to get rid of unwanted salary that goes until 2023 and they could see a need for Theis.

It's the contract, not the player, that worries me, but I hope I'm wrong.

Dankstronaut and Deckard like this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

Depends on how much the cap rises over the several years too. Theis's contract becomes smaller as percentage of cap as time goes.

NBA's Projected Salary Cap and Luxury Tax Reportedly Set for 2021-2024 Seasons

Next NBA TV/streaming deal could lead to $175 million salary cap

Corrosion and Bo6 like this.
  3. MystikArkitect

Theis was fine as insurance just in case Sengun turned out to be bad. Now that Sengun is good, Theis is redundant at best. He makes the team worse any time he's on the floor with either Wood or Sengun. Two bigs that can't shoot congest the lanes and make KPJ/Green unable to operate. Theis is actually stopping from KPJ being accurately evaluated.

Wood and Theis won't be on this team long term. KPJ might be ok but we need to see him operate without bigs destroying the flow of the offense.

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i thought the contract was unnecessary from the jump...
    i never saw the likelihood of a huge upstep that would justify locking him up...
    i dont think anybody else did either... lol
    its not a terrible contract - but not desirable...

roslolian and palmsnbananas like this.
  5. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Stone stuck there
    [​IMG]

Bo6, snowconeman22, ArtV and 2 others like this.
  6. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Yeah this deal was always wtf
    He needs to be benched, fk his ego
    Collect your checks and be happy

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

I agree.

It was a signing that looked good in theory. Theis looked decent in his previous team provided solid defense, rebounding and range.

Unfortunately turns out dude was a scrub and a product of his old team's system. Havent seen anything but mediocre performance all around, Sengun cant even lesrn from his vet exp cuz he is already better than Theis day 1. Stone missed on this signing, and tbh Theis is prod one of the worst signings in the offseason alongside oaying Nwaba that 5M deal.

aaquaa, cheke64 and palmsnbananas like this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

I forgot about the Nwaba signing…2 years guaranteed with a 3rd year team option

not sure who he thought he was competing against when it came to signing Nwaba…Nwaba is a guy u give a 1 year vet min to, not a 3/15 deal

CF loved the Nwaba signing tho

aaquaa and ElPigto like this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

You just made the point that he is a backup contract. 153 > 150. I’m not sure we want to move him this year, but he is definitely movable. DD made a good point. If we are really trading for a star in a few years his 8 million for a serviceable big could be very valuable. We don’t need a bunch more mediocre draft picks. By the way, we don’t need cap space until Wall is gone and we can compete for top FA’s. The main issue with Theis is Silas playing him starter minutes not his contract.

#69 Hemingway, Nov 22, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

DeBeards likes this.
  11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Go to Spotrac filter on center salaries and you will see the group within plus or minus 1 million from Theis’ contract. The likes of Nerlens Noel, Tristan Thompson, Poetl, Thomas Bryant. Could he have been less, yes. Is it really an egregious contract, no.

Corrosion likes this.
  12. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

I always assumed we signed Theis and Nwaba (and Exum) to have some mid salary fillers in the future. It might still be the case, but not exactly sure who would need Theis at the moment.

DaDakota and dmoneybangbang like this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

It’s very unlikely we’d be moving Theis and Nwaba this season.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

A $9mil bench big is a great asset. It's obvious that he just doesn't fit on a team without a true point guard. He'll definitely have value for a contender with a trade exemption.

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Don’t see the point in trading Theis other than taking away Silas’ option to eat into Sengun minutes, but for those that are hot to trade him, Phoenix just lost their backup PF in Kaminsky. So after dec. 15,
    Theis, Nwaba to Phoenix
    Kaminsky, Payton, Jalen Smith to Rockets. Kaminsky and Payton can be released after the season. 2020 pick no. 10 project in Smith

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

I liked Nwaba but also mever understood why he got offered that 5M deal, nobody was chomping at the bit to get him lol and he actually got more money than House after all that brouhaha about Morey hiding him in the Gleague.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

JaMychal Green and you are done. Pretty simple swap.

18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Is Theis an upgrade over JaMychal Green? I doubt that Denver believes that.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

In terms of playing the C position? Yes. Matt Moore would not be tweeting they need a backup C if they felt JaMyke was sufficient. Remember, they have Jeff Green still to play the stretch 4.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If we start Sengun and play Theis as the backup, I don't see the point of moving him. He is what he is, an okay back up center.

Unless, of course, if we want the cap space to sign a FA in 2023.

rytay45 and Rocket River like this.