1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How long until Wood can get traded

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Wulaw Horn, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Nope. If you want I will let you surrender today for $250…

2. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

This thread isn't looking so bad anymore.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

The only people it looked bad to on the day it was posted were those who didn’t understand what we were doing. We were always tanking. I was shocked at the time how few people understood that. There was no way it was ever going to be a 1 year tank. A guy with 2.5 years left on his deal in his mid 20’s who some other team might want was never going to stay to the completion of his contract. It just didn’t make sense. I stopped arguing, put my money where my mouth was ($500 bet) and figured I’d bump the thread in a year. It has to be obvious to pretty much everyone now, right?

4. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Nah I’m good. If I lose I’m fine paying the full amount and I’ve still got an outside shot with wood being so bad that nobody wants him and he sticks with Houston on a small-ish contract through the rebuild. With how he’s playing this year I don’t think anyone is lining up to trade for him or pay him lol.

Wulaw Horn and hakeem94 like this.
  5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yeah- his trade value might have been at it’s all time high on the day I posted that. It could happen that way (smallish contract) but he doesn’t seem like the kind of guy to stick around.

harold bingo likes this.
  6. CRJ713

CRJ713 Member

I want to see Jalen Green takeover this game.

fattz likes this.
  7. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

If idiot fans of the Home Team keep trying to trade him.....I wouldn't want to stay either!

Wood is a good player and I keep saying 20/10 bigs are very hard to come by.

I think Wood is basketball's version of Dak Prescott. If you surround him with talented players, he will shine. When he played with Harden last yr, he was amazing! I think the Rockets need to figure out a way to get another star w/o breaking up their nucleus....Ben Simmons?

RoadWarrior likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He's a good player when his usage matches that of a player that is the 7th best player on a good NBA team. He is a black hole when his usage is that of a first or second option.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  9. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Would you do Kevin P, Wood and Gordon for Simmons + Springer, and 1st rd pick?

raining threes and fattz like this.
  10. fattz

fattz Member

I think we would have to give the pick and I still say yes

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  11. kiwirocketsfan

I get the impressions that Simmons and Woods are both guys that take chemistry and culture off the table so I'm opposed to having either of them on the team.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

CF has stupid AF posters.

13. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Woods > Simmons

14. raining threes

Yes

15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The issue with 2 man line-ups is it doesn't really look into the potential 3rd or 4th player that have an influencing factor. Basically, if we look at the most productive 3 man line-ups, Eric Gordon is basically the common denominator, which isn't surprising. He's one of the most important players for the Rockets during the Harden years. However, there are no positive NETRTG lineups with just Wood alone without Gordon. All of them are with Gordon. Whereas positive lineups almost always have Gordon in them, with or without Wood.

[​IMG]

If we look at 2 man line-ups, we see the same common factor. Any line up with Gordon in it is inherently better (or less bad). However, sorted by minutes played, Gordon basically shares the most court time with Wood.

[​IMG]

So whilst true, Theis is just bad for any lineup, it's really just Eric Gordon most of the time that is making any impact.

larsv8, Clutch, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He’s a better defender at the 5 than Theis = all trade discussion is irrelevant. Nothing to give up on. His value won’t eclipse his previous peak until he plays 75+ games with serious minutes in a season.

He should just take less shots or pass the ball faster. How dumb to trade him when he is neither at his peak in production or consistency. If you weren’t willing to wait that out, then you wouldn’t sign him - and most of the people wanting to trade him couldn’t come to understand why we would sign him in the first place. They just never got it.

Stone is an asset management geek. He invested in a rebuilding phase in a undervalued player. You don’t do that for a 10-20% profit margin. You do that to flip it for way more. Trading Wood now is like giving up on the project when he’s exactly on pace to fulfill the path to success exactly according to the timeline of the contract we accepted. Gradual improvement, more training, better strength, more mature, etc. Did you think he’d be further along by now? Why lol?

If Wood ends this season with the same or better efficiency than last year, improves his defense/team play and is healthy 75+ games, we will get assets worth way more than $15m for him. Right now that’s looking highly likely. Also if all that happens, that’s easily a vet 3rd scorer on a title team so why trade him before Alpi and Green hit year 3???

Also guys please for the love of God try to understand that we’re just toying with lineups in games and teaching college level fundamentals in training. Stop assigning importance to these things just cause you’re in that mood today. We always stop toying with lineups around game 20. All the shot creators efficiency will improve and every role player will stabilize once we start prioritizing rotation chemistry and consistency again.

We are settling on starters and rotation imminently. That’s the equivalent of game 1 of the season for a roster as inexperienced and chemistry-less as ours. Shift your mindset rather putting yourself in arbitrary conflict with the inevitable.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  17. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Nah, you're trying way too hard to use random stats to prove somebody who's clearly massively regressed and playing badly is actually good. It's total crap. Morey really did the worst for this fanbase, making everybody obsessed with nonsense cherry picked stats that don't actually prove anything at all. Moreyball is not successful at all, stop using its tenets to back your arguments, it makes it look really disingenuous in the context of how that player is actually performing with the team. Stats aren't everything, especially when a team is just bad all over. This obsession with advanced stats really convinces half of you that trash tier players are near star level, it's pure insanity.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yep and thats on coaching.... he needs a coach with authority to reduce his role to capela and ryan anderson ... he can be an allstar in that role

1 pnr pnp
    2 stretch 5 shooting 3s
    3 attack closeouts
    4.if guarded by a huge mismatch take him to the rim
    5 dribbling the ball only occasionally if the lead guard is covered double teamed or something

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Believe me, it works when humans do not have an ego.

And if we are talking about Morning Wood, he has a big one.

He is trying way too hard and it is mental not just Silas.

Rockets4Life13 likes this.