1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cade Cunningham the next James Harden/Luka Doncic Hybrid?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by HardenVolumeOne, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Streakshooter

Streakshooter Member

the video above that talks about how horrid his missed shots are.

2. Milos

Milos Member

Agreed
    For a similar skillset and size, Jalen Johnson is a way better athlete

Melo, Pierce and many other wings with similar builds overcame these limitations to become perennial All-stars and top scorers ... But neither proved a true MVP-level alpha around whom a champion can be built

Cade arrives with playmaking & DEF chops to form a robust, well-rounded tool box
    Perhaps that will make up the difference for what he lacks physically

Cade doesn't have the elite athleticism to create separation for himself, blow by with first step, or explode to the rim as a finisher

Neither do Harden, Steph or Luka (except for Harden's elite first step), so not saying he cannot become a premier scorer, but his skill level must improve to get there
    Those 3 have an elite handle and deadly step back to compensate, which Cade does not have yet
    His 2way potential is what sets him apart from the other 3 more than anything

To me, among the Big4 in this class, he is clearly 4th in terms of raw athletic gifts
    He is probably first in terms of a polished skillset
    Both of those combined scream limited upside to me

He is the classic equivalent of a Saban BAMA draft prospect - most pro-ready but just about maxed out as a rookie

Of the 4, Cade has the highest floor & the lowest ceiling
    He is the 'safe' choice
    That's rarely the best method when picking in the top 5

Mobley is just scratching the surface of his potential as a Sampson-ADavis hybrid prototype for the modern big

Suggs took the reigns of a powerhouse and emerged as the best player in the Final 4
    For me he is a physical clone of MVP DRose with the team-first mental approach and 2way dedication of George Hill

Green has all the raw, explosive scoring ability and supreme confidence of classic skywalkers like MJ and Kobe
    Future scoring title winner

I just don't see the same upside in Cade

#22 Milos, Apr 28, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    Roc Paint and D-rock like this.
  3. DonatelloLimestone

When people talk about him like Harden/Luka, its obviously hyperbole, but he has been able to create his space and shoot in traffic off the dribble. He is also playing against a zone, the nba court will be more open and as luka said easier to score. Hes got a silky shot, high court awareness to make the big shot,and maybe a better athlete than luka too.

I think its difficult to say he has the loweest floor of the big 4 especially without seeing him in a more open game. Green and the gleague guys get to play more nba style with more possessions and pace and easier to see why they are special.

Suggs was not the best player in the final 4. He was the most talented and maybe an elite athlete, but he didn't set the pace or tone for any of the games although he hit the game winner. That said, like the above, he may flourish with the space and pace of the NBA and have more room to work
    D. Rose is far and beyond more athletic, explosive and aggressive than Suggs.

I agree with Green. He's shown a strong nack to get a bucket and has springs in his step and also is doing it against better than college talent and we get to see his work in an nba style pace.

One way or another, the top 4 is a good place to be. June 15!

Milos and RedIsen like this.
  4. htownbball

htownbball Member

Nice that other people agree about Jalen Green, I thought I'd be criticized for that take! But I think he's a future 20ppg+ scorer guaranteed. Needs to improve his ball handling to get to that next level. My fear on Cade is that he becomes Evan Turner. A guy that dominated college with his skillset and can do a little bit of everything but doesn't have one elite skill that sets him apart.

Cade is a much better outside shooter than Turner, so that may be what separates them as prospects

#24 htownbball, Apr 28, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  5. H.D.

H.D. Member

Cade has neither Harden's first step nor his speed. Poor man's Doncic is the best comp.

D-rock likes this.
  6. HardenVolumeOne

D-rock likes this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

D-rock and BossHogg713 like this.
  8. Milos

Milos Member

On Suggs -

His build reminds me of Rose bc it's almost more of a thick, powerful FOOTBALL type of body
    As opposed to other elite PG athletes like Russ and Morant ... longer, more wiry, classic hoops frame
    Not surprising ... he was QB and DB on back-to-back state title teams in Minny, with FB offers from Ohio State, Iowa, Nebraska
    Only MIN prep ever to win Mr. Basketball and Mr. Football (didn't Joe Mauer win FB and Baseball?)

In the Final Four, and especially the title game, Suggs seemed to be the only one of Zags' Big3 that responded when the team actually faced some adversity for the first time all season
    Hits the all-time clutch game winner to get there, then clearly separated himself from his teammates against Baylor in a losing effort

Didn't set pace or tone ..?
    As Kispert, Timme, Ayayi struggled to make their typical impact ...
    It was Suggs who stepped up and clearly took it upon himself to lead his team's comeback attempts
    For stretches seemed to be the only guy trying to turn the tide of that game ...
    As the only FROSH starter, day one point guard, best defender, and crunch-time leader on one of the greatest college teams of all-time

Baylor clearly was the superior team, led by outstanding games from fellow 1st-RD draft prospects Mitchell and Butler
    IMO it was Suggs that stood out as the only player on the court with true superstar potential
    The skillset isn't there yet, but the athletic tools are exceptional

For me, his Final Four run emphatically checked all the other intangible boxes of a natural born leader:
    - fierce competitor with blistering pace/effort on both ends
    - confident leader sets example with play
    - phenomenal clutch performer who raises game in biggest moments

On 2021 Top 4 -

No joke ... the basketball gods cannot be so cruel as to deny us one of these guys ... can they?!
    Four guys who would be legit #1 favorites in many of the recent drafts, all on the board together

WINGS
    2019: Zion Williamson
    2014: Andrew Wiggins
    2013: Anthony Bennett
    Cade probably goes ahead of anybody but Zion, but that's a close call and quite an interesting debate
    Elite toolbox of polished, all-around skills and impressive mental makeup limited by pedestrian athletic profile
    VS
    Freakish, generational, LeBron-level of rare, athletic marvel limited by un-developed skillset with questionable professional dedication
    Zion needs to shadow LeBron this offseason to learn his profession, stay on the court, and reach his HoF potential
    Wiggins has unfortunately settled into a tragically under-achieving role player
    Bennett remains among the most horrific top picks in the history of pro sports

GUARDS
    2020: Anthony Edwards
    2017: Markelle Fultz
    2016: Ben Simmons
    2011: Kyrie Irving
    Suggs stands above all the other guards for me
    Mainly because he arrives with zero glaring flaws, though his jumper and mid-level OFF game need to improve
    Simmons & Fultz arrived with obvious, critical shooting flaws
    Edwards & Kyrie arrived with obvious, critical aversions to defense or sharing the ball
    Green vs Kyrie or Edwards is too close to call so early ... they may be competing for a scoring title one day soon
    I'd still take Green over me-first Irving, but it's also very close
    Both are pure scorers with exceptional shots, lightning-quick handles
    Both are also extremely confident, expecting to be 'the man', always ready to take the big shot
    Neither pays much attention to DEF end, and both look for teammates as an afterthought
    Green is a bigger, more explosive athlete, and doesn't have Irving's durability concerns
    Plus ... ya know ... Green hasn't been inspired to become real-life Kit Ramsey of basketball ... so that's a plus too

BIGS
    2018: Deandre Ayton
    2015: Karl-Anthony Towns
    2012: Anthony Davis
    Davis was a better prospect than Mobley, and has become a better pro than Evan probably ever will be
    AD succeeded Tim Duncan as the best big & PF in basketball
    I don't see Mobley as the guy to take that torch from The Brow, but he could still become a Top10 overall player in the league one day
    Evan's understated impact on DEF/winning and massive upside easily trumps KAT's empty stat-stuffing game that has no effect on winning games and appears to have already peaked as a Top30-ish talent who is just good enough to be the top dog on terrible teams
    Ayton vs Mobley could become a real battle, but Ayton's game lacks the diversity of Mobley's on both ends
    Both are so far away from finished products that it could still go either way, but I'll take Mobley long-term for his potential as a play-maker and perimeter defender that Ayton just has not shown to date

sydmill, D-rock and don grahamleone like this.
  9. Possum

Possum Member

Mobley is the next KG then.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. HardenVolumeOne

mobley is actually similar to christian wood to me if anything

11. Milos

Milos Member

Ceiling - Anthony Davis w better playmaking out of double team

Floor - Nerlens Noel w a 3pt shot

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mobley brings a s**t-ton of defensive presence that Wood just doesn't.

Nook likes this.
  13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Wood will never be a real 5. I wouldn't want him to be either. I'd would love to pick 2 and get Mobley just because it takes the pressure of not picking him 1

Ottomaton and Roc Paint like this.
  14. PhiSlammaJamma

It would be hard not to take Mobley. He has length, he can shoot, he can play D. It's a complete package with height. That's a difference maker. The two weakness are extremely coachable. Leadership. And Strength.

HTXSportsAddict and Milos like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think it is funny that now you have Harden, Doncic and Cunningham all in the NBA.

It actually makes them less 'unicorn-ish'.

[​IMG]

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Cade Cunningham = Shane Battier 2.0

17. kiwirocketsfan

I had him as mid-career Iguodala.

Similiar takes perhaps.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I think Cade will have a long career. Make a bunch of money. His game just doesn't stand out as a revolutionary type guy to me. Perhaps worthy of the first pick due to hype and college experience, but even that is debatable.

Paolo Banchero or even Chet Holmgren on the other hand .. they may break the game.

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

a lot of the takes in this thread could end up looking hilariously had

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

Wonder what people’s thoughts are now?