1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 3, 2021.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. Nook

Nook Member

More pictures of stretching and less of lifting weights... I hope Bregman doesn't plan on turning into a mini Goldberg.

3. Nook

Nook Member

https://www.astrosfuture.com/2021/1...s-injuries-tommy-john-surgery-rehab-and-more/

Forrest Whitley Talks Injuries, Tommy John Surgery, Rehab and More…
    November 17, 2021 Jimmy Price 0 Comments
    [​IMG]

Forrest Whitley Talks Injuries, Tommy John Surgery, Rehab and More…

Back in late 2017 things seemed to be going right for the Astros. They were coming off their first World Series Championship in franchise history, but also had one of the top pitching prospects in baseball still in waiting in right-hander Forrest Whitley. While the Astros continued their dominance of the American League, Forrest suffered a few setbacks dealing with some nagging injuries and ultimately missing the 2021 season.

Drafted in the first round of the 2016 draft, Whitley quickly burst onto the scene with a dominant 2017 season which saw him strikeout 143 in just 92.1 innings across three different minor league levels. Forrest was suspended for part of the 2018 season but still had some solid numbers with a 3.76 ERA and 34 K in 26.1 innings. In 2019, Whitley was thrown another “curveball” when he had an oblique injury, a nagging elbow injury and some mechanical adjustments which led to him throwing just 59.2 innings.

With the minor league season getting cancelled in 2020 due to COVID, Whitley went down to Corpus Christi where things didn’t go as planned. I asked Forrest about his time there and he said “When things got moved to Corpus, I had to deal with some quarantine stuff because of COVID which took me out of throwing for a few days. I ended up throwing one of the best outings of summer camp after the quarantine, I actually struck out every batter. After I had made the last out, our pitching coach quickly called me back to throw to another hitter because I hadn’t reached my pitch limit, so I threw to Jake Meyers. During that AB is when I tore my UCL initially”. The doctors told Forrest that his UCL was partially torn and he could possibly build it back with rehab. Whitley added “It was really unfortunate timing, I really thought I was going to get called up right after that outing.”

Fast forward to the Spring of 2021 and Whitley found out he was going to have Tommy John Surgery, which he stated “I totally knew I needed”. I asked him about getting that news and he actually said he was relieved. “I was so happy that I could finally have a healthy elbow again to pitch in games with. It had honestly been bothering me from the beginning of the 2019 season but I thought it was something that every thrower dealt with. It could have been torn for a lot longer than I realized”, Whitley added.

Forrest Whitley had the surgery in March of 2021. We are now about 8 months post-surgery so I asked him about the rehab process and what kind of throwing he is doing. “I’ve been throwing for over 3 months now and it feels incredible, it doesn’t feel like I have a gaping hole in my elbow every time I throw now. I’m throwing about 5 times per week and I’m back to 120 feet. I honestly couldn’t be happier with how rehab has gone thus far,” Whitley stated. I asked Whitley if he would be ready for Spring 2022 and he said he won’t be fully ready but will be throwing off of a mound, “so I’ll be participating in everything but games I’d imagine.”

Despite the setbacks, players can still find a way to grow through it all. I asked Forrest about this and he said “I wouldn’t say the adversity has helped me grow as a baseball player, it’s allowed me to look at things through a different lens which has helped me grow as a man. I used to be so fixated on what other people said about me, it kind of drove me mad without me realizing it. Then when I had the tough season in 2019 it was the hardest fall of my life, I felt worthless. But building things from the ground up since surgery had been very therapeutic for me, I’ve slowed my process a ton, a lot less of a sense of urgency revolved around getting to the show.”

From one of the top pitching prospects in baseball to working his way back from Tommy John Surgery, Whitley has never lost confidence in his ability to be a major league pitcher. He ended our conversation stating “I genuinely believe I’m still a front of the rotation guy, if not the best arm in all of MLB. I know it might sound conceded to say, or even ridiculous based off of my recent track record, but when I’m back, I’m coming for their necks with everything I’ve got.” The Astros are still in a good position with a talented squad, but getting Whitley back to top form would add another young arm to one of the best teams in baseball.

[​IMG]

raj87 and Snake Diggit like this.
  4. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

After the injuries he suffered in 2020 and 2021, I would hope Alex realizes he needs to spend the offseason getting his lower half right so he stays healthy.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

He's not lifting in any of those pics....

At the rack he's got a band around his ankle being held by the guy behind him, and 2 pics of him on a curved treadmill.

jiggyfly, DVauthrin and Nook like this.
  7. awc713

awc713 Member

Edit: deleted, J.R. beat me to the punch (per usual)

#887 awc713, Nov 19, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  8. HTown2017Champs

Surprised Nova wasn’t claimed. He was seen as a high ceiling prospect not too long ago and would’ve thought someone would’ve rolled the dice. But they probably wanted the 40 man spot(s) and weren’t using one on him. Wish Papierski was added. I think there’s a 90% chance someone takes him.

MoMobley likes this.
  9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Nova tore his ACL in September. I'm somewhat surprised the Astros didn't protect Yanier Diaz.

MoMobley, Astrofan59 and Nook like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

I know... just a lame joke

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. HTown2017Champs

Missed the news on his ACL tear. He was atrocious for most of the year but actually picked things up in August.

12. Nook

Nook Member

I've given up on him.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If Verlander repeats 2019, yes swapping CC for JV is an upgrade.

MoMobley and HeyBudLetsParty like this.
  14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Man I really hope Yainer Diaz doesn’t get picked in the Rule 5. He has a pretty big ceiling and it wouldn’t be impossible for a team like Oakland or Baltimore to stash him on their bench as a backup C/1B/DH. Scary. Wouldn’t surprise me if somebody picked Papierski. He will play pro ball for a long time. I think all the other position players are safe. There’s probably a dozen or more pitchers who could reasonably be chosen. Diosmerky Taveras is probably the highest upside guy and it won’t surprise me if he is chosen.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I was thinking France had a chance, too, but really like the additions and the removal of Nova.

16. HTown2017Champs

JP France is someone who I think might get picked up. Someone can easily stash him as a long relief arm, or as their 5th starter if they’re really thin in arms.

Joe Joe likes this.
  17. Jay713

Jay713 Member

True; he needs to get his Billy Wagner legs.

18. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Could they trade him before the draft?

19. HTown2017Champs

Definitely possible. I certainly expect to see some trades (not necessarily the Astros) done soon to help with the roster crunch.

Chilly_Pete likes this.
  20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I am not certain about the rules, but I believe they are eligible to be traded, but not eligible to be added to a 40 man roster for Rule 5 protection, so any team that trades for him will expose him to the Rule 5 draft. I could be wrong about that.

Chilly_Pete likes this.