1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 3, 2021.

1. raining threes

I hate that it looks like they will get nothing for James.

MoMobley likes this.
  2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Part of the game when you have a deep and talented roster. Just looking at who needs to be protected... Astros probably want to clear AT LEAST 3 spots on the 40 man and I could see more as a possibilitly as well.

raining threes and AznH-TownFan like this.
  3. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I’d hang on too Stubbs as long as possible. He’s caught a lot of innings with the staff.

AznH-TownFan and HTown2017Champs like this.
  4. HTown2017Champs

I see Montero and Garza as obvious non-tender candidates. We'll have to wait and see what happens, of course.

5. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros scouting and player development people had doubts about his ability to stay in centerfield and I know that was part of it. There were also concerns signing him would prevent them from signing Correa.

6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Garza is already gone. They took him off the 40 man and the Twins picked him up.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don’t think George was willing to sign here.

8. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I think George was happy to sign elsewhere, but there's a difference between that and a refusal to consider the Astros even if they offered the most money.

At either rate, all the more reason to keep the core star who actually wants to stay. As opposed to guys like Springer and Cole.

9. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I'd be surprised if we let James go. Obviously he has struggled...but the amount of upside in that arm will likely keep him around

Astrofan59 and Snake Diggit like this.
  10. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

James is 28 if he was going to be something it would have already happened.

James, Montero, Emanuel, S. Martinez and T. Jones would be the five I would shed all over age 27. I’d imagine that would cover a few free agent signings/acquisitions and protect 3-4 guys with the 40 man at 39.

11. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

But hasn't it already happened for James? Wasn't he a productive reliever in 2019? Didn't he get hurt in 2020, have surgery and not return until late in 2021? If it is determined that he cannot return to form, or even if it is determined that they have better players to fill the position, I have no problems jettisoning him, but to say it would have already happened seems disingenuous to me

12. The Beard

Yes, this

It isn't like we don't know if he can be successful at the MLB level, he struck out 100 in 61 innings in 2019 and hasn't had a normal/healthy offseason/spring yet to get ready for a season. I'll be really surprised if he is just let loose

13. right1

right1 Member

Is it wrong to want both Correa and Marte?
    Correa at 6 YRS/$210M or 8/260M
    Marte at 4 YRS/70M

If on the table, I think both would seriously consider those offers.

Move Odorizzi's contract maybe paired with Siri in trade for a lefty reliever, perhaps Okert from Miami.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  14. The Beard

Crane is willing to spend....that would likely put us over the tax threshold for multiple years coming up though, so can't see it as even remotely possible. Especially not knowing what the new CBA will bring

MoMobley likes this.
  15. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

The problem is you cannot get Correa at 6/210 or even 8/260. The first has apparently been on the table, and it has not been accepted. The Astros have said they will not go more than 6 years, so I do not see 8/260 as a possibility. Also it seems pretty obvious to me that Correa wants a contract in the Lindor range. He is entitled to try, and I think somebody will give him something close. In my opinion, he is a better player than Lindor. So it is not wrong, but it is not realistic

#875 Astrofan59, Nov 19, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  16. right1

right1 Member

Even with Greinke's salary coming off and with JV at 8M less minus Odorizzi's 8-14M? Wouldn't that be almost exact budget of '21? Plus Brantley coming off in '23 and more than likely Yuli as well?

17. The Beard

Lance is going from 6.5 million to 15.25 million, and others will be getting raises also

I don't know all the exact numbers, but I can't see two of those after signing JV

MoMobley and Snake Diggit like this.
  18. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

These guys all have an agent in their ear from the day they are drafted talking about the pot of gold at the end of arbitration. By the time it finally arrives they are ready to jump right out of their skin.

MoMobley likes this.
  19. HeyBudLetsParty

Is it wrong to think adding JV and losing Correa is a net positive or at least a push? Feel like the offense can still dominate and overwhelm teams but we were missing a clear cut ace all season. Guess it will depend on Verlander health and how he comes back but feeling confident with a top 3 of JV, Lance, Framber.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member