1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Well, suppose hypothetically that it would save 20,000 American lives (they estimate "thousands", including preventing more than 250,000 hospitalizations). Would you still be against it in that case? Just trying to understand if your position is based on you not believing it will actually save that many lives, or if you think thousands of lives isn't worth saving.

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Antivax isn't a new thing. Don't let the politics over vaccines and masking by the Republicans cloud the reasons people refuse to vaccinate. Sure, some do it for political reasons. But my bet is more people do it because they are simply antivax or very vaccine-hesitant. You could argue that some of them become antivax or very hesitant due to the politicians pushing antivax messages but that doesn't mean they did it for politics but that they were influenced by politicians.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is a right to work but there isn't a right to work any job. Many government jobs even before COVID-19 required taking vaccinations and drug testing.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

So what is your point? I was giving an example of a place that exists where you lose your job if you don't get vaccinated after it was said you could just test weekly as an alternative.

I fully understand an employer (including the government) dictating the terms which you must meet to work there, including requiring vaccines.

What I disagree with is the Federal Government telling private companies they must require vaccines for all employees (which I don't believe has ever been a requirement before for any other vaccine).

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Again, which other OSHA regulations would you like to see ended? And btw, I think this is the first highly communicable pandemic that has killed three quarters of a million Americans in a short time that would have required vaccinations.

No Worries and rocketsjudoka like this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Federal government has long been able to regulate workplace safety so in principal yes they can require employees to take a vaccine. The current hold up in the courts is about how the "mandate" has been implemented not whether the government could require this.

No Worries and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Mask wearing is an efficient heuristic for knowing who the sheep are

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Which is reasonable depending on vaccination status. Also when he was eating or drinking or not.

People keep trying to post 'gotcha' pics but they never are really in violation of guidelines.

It's really boring seeing these efforts to try and make others doubt reasonable safety recommendations and regulations. It's also very irresponsible.

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

this isn't how indoor mask guidelines work at all

vaccines don't prevent transmission

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They actually do reduce transmission. A vaccinated person is less likely to be infected. If they are less likely to be infected, they are less likely to be able to infect others. If two people are vaccinated, it isn't unsafe for them to be unmasked. They won't have the serious side effects or hospitalizations that the un-vaxxed folks will have.

Again indoors masks are often on and off all the time because of eating.

Finally if the good doctor didn't have his mask on when he should have, that doesn't mean there isn't a valid reason for mask mandates or vaccinations. Using his error to try and spread the idea that there is no reasons for the vaccines or mandates is irresponsible.

DFWRocket and Invisible Fan like this.
  12. Gioan Baotixita

Yes. I’m getting myself a fake one. I’ll do everything that I can to give Brandon my middle finger.

IBTL likes this.
  13. RocketManJosh

Duh ... the argument is how far they should be able to go. We disagree on what it acceptable, but do you think they should be able to do whatever they want? Of course not. The vaccine is a gray area and you think it's acceptable and I think it's not. Not much more too it than that. Our society will determine this at the polls as it should be (regardless of what the last idiot in office says, I have faith in our electoral system).

14. NewRoxFan

What area do you believe is gray? That there is a dangerous and unprecedented pandemic threatening the safety of people in the workforce? That the vaccines have been proven to help protect people from COVID-19?

15. RocketManJosh

Maybe OSHA should demand all private companies only serve healthy food and not sell any soda or sugary drinks. We have an obesity problem in this country killing way more than Covid each year.

If you can't see that this is a gray area with the amount of people that are for or against the mandate, then I can't help you. You have blinders on and only care to hear yourself in an echo chamber.

I fully believe in the vaccines, which is why I took it and even volunteered to administer it to the public. I just don't believe in forcing it on people and I feel comfortable being protected by taking it myself and encourage everyone to protect themselves.

16. NewRoxFan

Seems you are presenting a rather trite and tired "whataboutism" misused by anti-vaxxers. But sure, if healthy eating can be connected to obesity that has killed 3/4ths of a million Americans the last two years, I would support your drive to get OSHA to act on this.

The political debate about support or opposing the mandate can be disconnected from OSHA's mission which is to protect the health of the American worker. You made the smart decision to protect you and people you care about with the vaccine. Unfortunately, driven largely by politics, many of the people in your community and a small number in your workplace have decided to not do so, adding to the risk to you and the people you care about.

And a separate note... your use of the term "echo chamber" only reveals your politics. Perhaps you would be happier posting on your facebook or some fox news discussion board where you would be free from echo chambers?

17. RocketManJosh

Lol, from the guy that can't even acknowledge there are other viewpoints other than his own, so you resort to insults. Says a lot about you as a person.

tinman likes this.
  18. NewRoxFan

Oh, there are plenty different views. Opinions are like... everyone has one, and some are smellier than others. Though curious... when did I insult you? Seems you are the one trying to make this personal.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

NewFoxFan watching too much cable news and getting triggered

The virus is getting people vaccinated or not who have conditions and or really obese

People hitting the gym like crazy now. These are people who understand what’s going on. It’s not a coincidence that nobody in the NFL or NBA are dying of covid.

Westbrook and Lamar Jackson got it twice .

Gioan Baotixita likes this.
  20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

CDC supports wider COVID vaccine booster use : Shots - Health News : NPR

CDC Director Rochelle Walensky is recommending COVID-19 vaccine boosters for all adults.

The announcement came just hours after a vaccine advisory committee voted unanimously to expand Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine boosters to everyone 18 and older.

The experts met Friday afternoon following the Food and Drug Administration's decision to authorize the boosters for all adults.

The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices voted in support of a change to COVID-19 vaccination policy that says people 50 and older should get a booster if they had a primary immunization with an mRNA vaccine (Moderna or Pfizer) at least six months before. The recommendation also applies to people 18 and older in long-term care settings.

For people at least 18 and younger than 50, the panel supported a policy that recommends they receive a booster based on their individual risks and benefits.

An analysis from a CDC working group concluded that the balance of benefits and risks for a booster is clearest for older people. The group also noted that the latest data on myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart seen rarely after vaccination but most often in young men, is "reassuring to date."

FranchiseBlade likes this.