1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHANT]: F*ck Joe Biden

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Sep 7, 2021.

1. goophers

goophers Member

Multiple unsolicited messages minutes apart. Wow you truly must have Biden Derangement Syndrome. Seek help.

2. Gioan Baotixita

Just feeling frisky this morning after I left Brandon Honda yesterday. The chant of “ Let’s Go Brandon” reverberated in the air is still fresh on my mind.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

So what books have you been reading this year? Any recommendations?

4. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Probably not a popular opinion but biden would get some respect from me if he holds our athletes out of Beijing. Screw china

Corrosion likes this.
  5. Gioan Baotixita

The Art of War- Sun Tzu
    Surrounded by Idiots- Thomas Erickson
    :confused:

Corrosion likes this.
  6. Gioan Baotixita

I highly doubt it if he knew there will be an upcoming Olympics. He’s still trying to fight CornPop in his mind.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I seriously doubt the US will athletically boycott. There is talk of a diplomatic boycott. That's not much of anything because unless the media discusses it, it's not a visually impactive thing. You occasionally are shown the various leaders in attendance, but they don't add anything except "respect" for the host nation.

Corrosion likes this.
  8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

What did I miss? Did China do something beyond their usual?

Even if Biden wanted to, does he have that power? Part of the US gov can boycott the 22 Winter Olympics in Beijing (as you said, diplomatic boycott), but I doubt the POTUS can hold athletes out of it.

9. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

[​IMG]

10. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Member
    Supporting Member

He will hold out until Hunter gets more cash for the family coffers......

Astrodome likes this.
  11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The US boycotted the 1980 Russian Olympics and the Russians retaliated in 1984.

There is precedent, but it'd be a pointless move. China won't change due to an ath boycott.

rocketsjudoka and Corrosion like this.
  12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I read more into that. The decision is made by the USOPC, not by POTUS or by Congress. They could crumble to political pressure but their current stance is they are against a 2022 winter game boycott.

I agree it's pointless.

13. Gioan Baotixita

:D

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Democratic Party is in trouble
    The higher ups in the party are ok with it because. . .they are DINOs
    it is all a big dog and pony show at this point

Rocket River

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

That is easy to say though when you're not a world class athlete who has been training all your life for this one shot of Olympic glory. I' know some people who didn't get the chance to compete in Moscow in 1980 and have been bitter about it ever since.

I agree the PRC is going to use these games for propaganda purposes but boycotting them punishes the athletes.

16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Did you miss the pandemic thing that they tried to hide?

17. foh

foh Member

it's not pointless if a bunch of countries do it. it certainly would make a hole in the Chinese media news censorship and in trade. Latter is a good leverage against china. Remember the tariff wars - i'm sure a bunch of people thought there was a point to it.

#metoo may be strong enough to move some towards the boycott camp. Would be kinda shocking to see 1 woman affect public opinion more than millions of Uyghurs suffering, but it's not unheard of that a pretty damsel in distress (in this case, Peng Shuai) makes the story so much more fascinating for the silver screen..

edit: although I admit the dictatorships out there have easy time coercing individuals to produce self-incriminating videos where they take back what they said, apologize and take the state's side in a dispute. It's just that in this case, PRC/CCP admits to censorship, which is a win in my book.

#357 foh, Nov 19, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Did you miss that China CDC and US CDC had interactions about this coronavirus in Dec 2019? That China CDC formally alerted the CDC director Redfield of a potential pandemic on 1/3/20202? And that the US intelligence, in classified warnings, alerted Trump of the likely pandemic from Jan through Feb of 2020?

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Carter pushed for and the US Congress supported the 1980 Moscow game boycott due to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. 65 nations joined the boycott. The outcome was a retaliation boycott by the 14 countries (allied with Russia) in the 1984 LA games. It seems to have zero impact on the Afghanistan situation. The Soviet invasion and war eventually lasted almost 10 years.

If the world actually bands together and have a human right baseline standard for international trade, that to me would have a major impact.

20. King1

King1 Member

I sincerely hope you're drinking because this is one of the worst meltdowns I've ever seen here. Sober up buddy or get some mental health help. You're losing it.