1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 3, 2021.

1. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

I'll give Marte 3 years/55 mil or 4 years/70 mil tops. If not, go after Bryant to be our super utility guy if Tucker might go to CF.

MoMobley likes this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Gurriel did show signs of decline... mainly due to inability to stay in shape. The Astros likely recognized that and knew he'd be worth the extension if he made a commitment to his fitness (which he did).

Brantley was deemed as a guy who just couldn't stay healthy... until he came to the Astros and was able to stay healthy.

Jury still out on Verlander. Regardless of what happens now, they've still only got one game out of him for $66 million.

MoMobley likes this.
  3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I was banging that drum that 6/150 was fine for Springer last year.

4. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yes. That’s what I’m saying. And I do think you can certainly hope for Altuve and/or Bregman to do that, but I don’t place them in as sure a thing category as Yordan and Tucker. That’s all.

5. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Fair, completely fair. We really don't know but when comparing the two I fail to see the logic in spending 15 million a season on aged 33 Starling Marte. Nonetheless, I will undoubtedly be upset if/when we sign Marte for 3-4 years for 20 million a season.

6. awc713

awc713 Member

7. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Both are coming back to Houston if they are having lunch in the city :p

8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Someone had CC to Detroit as basically a done deal yesterday. This is interesting in light of that. Or maybe they are just friends and catching up.

texans1095 likes this.
  9. CinematicFusion

That's nice of Hinch to fly into Houston and help the Astros keep Correa. That's going above and beyond, hope Detroit doesn't' get upset.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Hinch (and family) still live in Houston.

Would certainly expect Detroit to try and appeal to Correa with someone he’s familiar with. That being said, money/years/and ability to compete for rings will be the main factors. Not like Detroit is a “sexier” market than Houston… fairly comparable.

11. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

For a Latino I’d think houston would be a much sexier market than Detroit.

MoMobley likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Maybe. I know neither are comparable, in terms of PR natives, to NYC.

At the very least, Carlos still lives in Houston… apparently he just moved to the memorial area.

MoMobley likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Im pretty surprised we haven’t seen more roster cleanup trades in the last day before Rule 5 roster protection is due. Makes me wonder if teams expect the lockout to prevent the Rule 5 draft and for the new CBA to give teams another shot to protect players before things start back up.

15. HTown2017Champs

With JV accepting the QO, I think we're down to only one spot left on the 40-man roster. There's a few guys I know they'll want to protect, I'm also curious as to why there haven't been more moves.

16. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I don't disagree, but I think Springer was pissed enough about his service time being manipulated that he wasn't going to get over it easily. Didn't seem like either side did much to keep that relationship going

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There was that… and then the report that they wanted him to sign an price-fixed extension in order to get promoted sooner (similar to what they did with Singleton), and he told them to F off. Then after he was promoted, they presented one of the very team friendly Altuve-like deals (they also offered this to Grossman and Matt Dominguez) and he again had to tell them to F off… this was 2014.

When they finally got serious about bigger money talks in 2018, there was really no mending the situation. They did do partially right by him by guaranteeing 2 of his 3 arbitration years at a higher than market rate, and then he busted out in 2019 to give him his first big annual salary for 2020… but then covid hit and he only got a fraction of the 21 million he truly earned.

All of that plus his northeast roots that he always held on to… with an emphasis on his immediate and extended family.

Luhnow probably would do things a little different now if given a second chance. They were in total experimental mode with all aspects… but its no surprise their extension for promotion or low-ball pre-arb extension strategy never caught on anywhere else. The slot manipulation did, however.

The Beard likes this.
  18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Yea... tomorrow could be interesting. Guys like Montero, James, Stubbs, Seth Martinez, Solis, Emanuel, etc could get the boot.

19. HTown2017Champs

Do you think Stubbs has any value even for low level minors guys? I can see someone wanting him as a lefty hitting backup catcher who already has MLB experience.

20. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I don't really know the 3rd catcher situation for all the other teams so not sure. If we cut him will he get picked up? Probably, but I don't expect he will be traded straight up for a low level prospect. If he was just a throw in for a bigger trade that would make more sense to me. Plus, Astros need to clear some 40 man spots so why would a team give up anything until they see if he is still on our 40 man after tomorrow when they might be able to have him for free later?