1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 3, 2021.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Getting Correa and Graveman back would be a great offseason. Correa and Verlander may price them out of Graveman though.

whiskeyred and DVauthrin like this.
  2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

We are gunning for that ALCS once again

3. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Click has ALOT of leverage in a potential trade for a team in need of starting pitching.

4. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

From Passan? Haha. Kidding.

5. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

I don’t think we’re going to resign Graveman. We have starters that can be part of the bullpen as of now. I preferred to use that money (plus CC money) to get a big bat or 2. I would love to have Graveman back but I don’t think adding a bullpen arm is an urgency at right now. There’s always the trade deadline to add a reliever. I still think we could/should add another TOR SP via trade.

Wulaw Horn and Rileydog like this.
  6. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Totally (?) unrealistic dream off-season (if CC walks)

After re-signing JV we turn our attention to the bats.

Sign Story to a 5 yr/$135 million deal

Sign Marte to a 3 yr/$60 million deal

Address the bullpen via small signings and internal options.

Lineup would be Altuve, Brantley, Bregman, Yordan, Marte, Tucker, Story, Gurriel and Machete. Insane.

Rotation would be JV, LMJ, Framber, Garcia and Urquidy.

MoMobley likes this.
  7. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Can't have both Story and Marte after the JV signing.

Rather have Marte on the 3 yr deal vs Story for 5 years. We have Pena ready to go.

I think McHugh comes back if we offer him a fair mkt value deal.

8. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Hard pass on giving Story that much money. His home/road splits are significant.

9. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I see 3 signings left. Payroll resource projects Astros 2022 payroll with arbitration projections at $162 million. Crane was prepared for the 2020 Astros payroll too reach 200 million before Covid took effect. By all his reports, Astros can have a $200 million payroll this season. That leaves 38 million…

CF/SS/Reserve Infielder

Correa is gone. Pena likely starts. Starling Marte and Chris Taylor are two my favorite bats on the FA Market under 75 mil. Taylor can play SS/CF/2B/1B/LF so he provides the most versatility and has won LCS MVP. Good options in CF via trade rumors as well. I wouldn’t rule out adding a 15-20 mil a year bat on a 3-4 year deal. Having no current guaranteed deals on the books by the time Alvarez & Tucker reach free agency is ideal.

I’d go 3/27 mil for Graveman (9 mil AAV)

find a LH power arm in the pen. 1-2 yr/4-5 mil

Unloading Odorizzi would offset the cost of bringing back Graveman and adding a lefty to the pen.

1. Maldonado
    2. Gurriel
    3. Altuve
    4. Bregman
    5. Pena
    6. Brantley
    7. * FA/Trade CF (S. Marte, C. Taylor, K.Marte, etc)
    8. Tucker
    9. Alvarez
    10. Castro
    11. Diaz
    12. & 13. Between McCormick, Meyers, Siri, Leon, K. Lee or Stubbs

1. Verlander
    2. McCullers
    3. Valdez
    4. Garcia
    5. Urquidy
    6. Pressly
    7. *Graveman
    8. Stanek
    9. Maton
    10. P. Baez
    11. *LH Power Arm
    12. Javier
    13. Odorizzi or the slew of prospect options

Tigers max out on Correa and garbage
    Yankees max on Seager, and a bunch of garbage.
    Angels max out one of Scherzer/Kershaw/Rodon
    Giants max out on Gausman, Bryant, etc
    Braves max out on Freeman and Scherzer/Kershaw, etc
    Someone pays Robbie Ray a lot of money
    Mariners max on Story and a bunch of garbage
    Dodgers can’t do anything. Lol. 20% of their payroll is facing felonies.
    Rays probably trade Glasnow.
    Padres file bankruptcy.

#789 Mr.Pringles, Nov 18, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    MoMobley, AznH-TownFan and texans1095 like this.
  10. HTown2017Champs

Love getting JV back, but with us only eligible for 1 comp pick, please, no QO signings. Not worth giving up the 2nd rounder for anyone we can get. Still would like to look for one more ace and a power bat. Will post more tomorrow.

MoMobley likes this.
  11. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Totally agree. This was purely a dream unrealistic scenario. I would rather have Marte at that price as well.

MoMobley and H-Town Info like this.
  12. ktex

ktex Member

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Hell no to Story. He is a product of Coors field. His numbers away from Colorado are pedestrian.

MoMobley likes this.
  14. Jeremy Williams

I think we may be much more likely to bring back Graveman and add another big RP if we leave CF within the hands of the guys already on the team. My best guess at SS is that we add someone reasonably priced and have Diaz and the new guy compete for the starting job. This would also mean the newly acquired guy would have to be a super util. I think Pena would likely be called up at the first injury of Diaz or the newly acquired, and could take the role permanently from there.

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Sign Kris Bryant and call it quits. He gives us all kinds of flexibility over the course of the next few years. He can immediately start in RF and move Tucker to center. When Brantley moves on he can move to left, Tucker back to right, and Leon, McCormick, Siri, or Myers takes over center. Bryant also gives you insurance at 3B in case Bregman keeps getting hurt. Pena will give you very good defense at SS at worst. If he can hit major league pitching the you will have a better lineup than last year. Signing Verlander makes the bullpen less of a concern as you could train Odorizzi from the start of the season to become a long reliever. Verlander, McCullers, Valdez, Garcia, Javier or Urquidy with the other going to the bullpen.

What a lineup:
    Altuve
    Brantley
    Bregman
    Alvarez
    Bryant
    Tucker
    Yuri
    Pena/Diaz
    Maldonado or later on maybe Lee?

AznH-TownFan and Wulaw Horn like this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

With Verlander in the fold and $25M less in payroll flexibility, Houston still has resources to make 3 significant moves (2 trades, 1 free agent signing). Their primary need is a bat to replace Correa’s offense. Their secondary need is another pitcher, either to add another frontline starter, or to deepen the back end of their bullpen. Luxury needs would be a 13th position player and another pitcher.

Locks (17):
    C Maldonado
    IF Gurriel, Altuve, Bregman, Diaz
    OF Tucker, Brantley, Alvarez, McCormick
    SP Verlander, McCullers, Valdez, Garcia
    RP Pressly, Baez, Maton, Stanek

Locks if not traded (4):
    C Castro
    P Odorizzi, Urquidy, Javier

Other internal options:
    C Stubbs, Papierski, Diaz
    IF Pena, Jones, Leon, Nova, Perez
    OF Siri, McKenna
    P James, Montero, Taylor, Abreu, Bielak, Solomon, Paredes, Martinez, Whitley, Dubin, Ivey, Emanuel, Scrubb, Solis, Bermudez, Record, Blanco, Taveras, France, Macuare, Conine, Torres, Rivera

My current best guess would be signing an OF (Marte, Taylor, Pham, Canha), a RP (too many options but McHugh seems to make a lot of sense), and a fringey SS (Simmons, Iglesias, Villar, Galvis), then continuing to look for impact trades for pitching (A’s, Reds, Marlins).

#796 Snake Diggit, Nov 18, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    AznH-TownFan likes this.
  17. awc713

awc713 Member

I know it’s not a major need per se but I would love to add Bassitt

18. HTown2017Champs

Same! Love the energy he possesses, he’ll fit RIGHT in with this team. Very tough guy too. Still think we look to add one more starter, and Bassitt, because he only has one year left, shouldn’t cost as much as Alcantara, Bieber, etc.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Bassitt shouldn’t be all that expensive as a rental without a long track record as a top end starter. He is coming off of a career year where he was worth 3.3 fwar, so I would imagine 2 2nd tier pitching prospects could get that done, something like Abreu and Dubin. That would then free up Urquidy to be traded for an elite RP (Hader) or CF (Buxton)

20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

My ideal offseason if Correa left was Bryant, Marte and Semien in, JV, Correa, Greinke, Odo, Brantley out. With JV back that means no chance at all 3 anymore just 2.
    Bryant- 7/175
    Marte- 3/75.
    That's $50,000,000 in Salary in. $8 million savings on JV, 24 for Greinke. 12 for Correa. Ship Odo out of 8 million and there is your $52 million. Really, I want Brantley out if those 2 guys come in and sign Turner. That's probably equal money
    Here is your Roster:
    Marte, Tucker, Altuve, Yordon, Bryant, Bregman, Yuli, Turner, Catcher. That lineup ****s. Bench- Diaz, Castro, Meyers, Chazzy Fizz (13)
    JV, LMJ, Framber, Urquidy, Garcia, Javier, Presley, Stanek, Maton, Taylor, Baez, Bielak, Josh James (Brown and Whitley half way through the season if all goes right- if it doesn't get 2 arms at the deadline). That team is under the tax line and wins 100-110 games depending upon how the season goes. Bryant takes over at 1b for Yuli in 2023 and Meyers and Chaz go back to the platoon.
    If you really want to get Froggy trade Chaz, Siri, and Whitley or Brown or something like that for Bassitt.