1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets on/off numbers with Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by harold bingo, Nov 16, 2021.

1. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

He will improve, but coaching needs to change. I wish we had a Nate McMillan type veteran coach.

Silas is just as clueless on coaching as the players are in the game.

AroundTheWorld and DaDakota like this.
  2. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

He’s basically been the worst offensive and defensive player in the entire nba which is a feat in itself. So yeah, should probably be coming off the bench or else will likely set some records for futility this season.

The problem is he’s horrendous yet he’s green lighted to play the most minutes so that is exacerbating the problem, there’s plenty of bad nba players but they aren’t forced to start and play 35 minutes

Also interesting to note that with green playing but KPJ out the off rating goes DOWN 20+ points, that kind of ends the narrative of KPJ making Green play bad no?

GotGame15 and NewAge like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

u have to think he’ll eventually have some little stretch where he shoots 35% from 3 or something to raise his percentages

charlieaustin and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Are you sure? I was told quite clearly by someone with “TBag” in his name that I was dimwitted for suggesting Jalen was not “already a plus defender.”

The sad part of the way this board works is that reasonable comments - “he’s not a good defender right now, nor a good shooter, but he is 19 and has a ton of potential” - are met with insults or claims of being a “hater”. As with most things in the US, emotions are running too high. Winning a few games would help reintroduce some rationality.

palmsnbananas, cmoak1982 and DeBeards like this.
  5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Count me in the Jalen to 6th man role campaign.

Swap Theis to the bench too and start Gordon and Sengun until Gordo showcases enough for a trade.

Not going to suddenly go on a winning streak but just limiting thr turnovers and avoiding the pairings of guys that step on each other's toes and ruin spacing will help development.

6. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Lol yeah, I like the analogy, this is sorta what I was trying to say. All this tells us is KPJ on is better than KPJ off...that only means he's better than the other options on this roster running point. Not saying much that he's better than DJ Augustin, or Jalen Green trying to run pnr and distribute.

AroundTheWorld and vator like this.
  7. vator

vator Contributing Member

I agree. KPJ has been AWFUL. Pretty much any stat you want to go to will support that assessment. Anybody defending his play...I just don't know what to say. As you said though, there are literally no other acceptable point guard options currently on this roster so that skews things whereas Jalen Green is often subbed for an actual NBA level player in Eric Gordon.

Now, before anybody labels me a Jalen Green apologist. He has underwhelmed and been disappointing overall. Statistically the absolute worst player on a dog crap team. I acknowledge that and I admit that he has been bad more often than he has been good. That said, we are 14 games into his NBA career and there is data available that suggests that this isn't an uncommon struggle early on for a young wing player so although it is disappointing, it is not necessarily a red flag that he is going to be a bust. Not yet.

NewAge and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s crazy that there have only been 49 minutes with that lineup. It seems like that would just naturally be one of the most used lineups.

9. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

definitely Eddie Griffin potential on this situation. Well said.

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Yeah that would be my starting lineup w/ Sengun first big off the bench.

I think we would still obviously struggle to win but could help us be more competitive and would give KPJ and Green a better group of “vets” to run with for more minutes per game.

Will be interesting to see if this lineup gets more run if all those guys remain on the team.

Edit: For reference our current starting lineup of Porter/Green/Tate/Wood/Theis is:

(160 minutes)
    Offense : 80.9
    Defense : 107.4
    Net : -26.5

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Man, the turnovers are just mind boggling

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

Giddey is putting up near double doubles in rebounds and assists, and has outperformed defensively. Overall he is still not a positive contributor overall as is expected of rookies(especially 19 year olds), but everything else he does mitigates the poor scoring efficiency.

Jalen Green on the other hand is an black hole on both sides of the court and does nothing else when his shots are not falling. It really caps his upside.

palmsnbananas, cmoak1982 and hakeem94 like this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. I like Giddey, a lot. Mainly because he offers a more well rounded game. His stroke is there so I can see him becoming a respectable shooter. He honestly seems like a Simmons-Melo Ball hybrid to me.
    I’m still not going to give up on Green this early, but that’s just my nature to not give up on young talent too quickly.

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

That just tells me Wood and Theis shouldn't be playing together.

At least when we go small the floor is super spread and we can cause turnovers and score on speed.

15. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

He shot 36% in the GLeague last year and 52% in the Summer league. A lot going on in his head right now while he adjusts to the big league.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Green still has a AAU mentality when he plays. That style of playing doesn't work in the NBA with bigger bodies and way better defense.

I think it might just be a lack of offensive diversity. In his arsenal there's a straight line drive and challenge at the rim, or a step back 3. Occasionally he will make a pass or two in a simple PnR. It's a very tunnelled way of playing offense and really easy to read when everyone knows what you are going to do.

Not even the best guards in the league can get away with just straight drives and expecting to score every time. They are constantly switching speed, dribbling around, surveying for the best option.

When you see Morant play, he has the same speed as Green, yet there's so much more nuance to his attacks than just head down at the rim

napalm06 and daywalker02 like this.
  17. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

He has lots of flaws in his game. He's still young. I just hope he didn't build up bad habit during this time. Defense awareness is a mess. He tend to guard toward the guy with the ball and leave his man with more space. He often don't switch even when his teammates switched that leave his man wide open. No box out, every time after opponent shoot the ball, he just turn around and look at the basket. On offense he just try to get the hold and try to create something, which he isn't there yet. At least in the last two games he stopped forcing bunches of threes. His shooting arc is too high, even mid range it is too damn high.

18. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Our offense is a lot better when KJ or House is playing PF. Isn't Wood suppose to be stretch PF? Why spacing is a mess when he's playing PF?

19. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

thx for your sharing, great input.
    overall to say, your thread is about jalen's negative impact to the games, i guess there are some facts missed out there, which could hardly being put aside if we want to discuss jalen and his performance:

1) though Jalen's avg MIN/game is around 28-32 at most, that's quite a lot, but as we all can see in past 11-12 games, sometimes during the game, hardly could he touch the ball, the ball either under KPJ's procession (mostly dribbling) or feeding to bigs (say cwood), it means he just running around in vain, which makes a SHOOTING GUARD looks so bad;
    (i dunt want to blame KPJ here, cuz he's still a rook pg-wise)

2) as we all know, our starting lineup got problems which definitely need a tweak here and there, for example:
    - sengun should replace theis at the C to start,
    - start KJ at 3/4 might give our first string a more vibrant look
    - wood obviously looks soooooooooo reluctant to set PnR for teammates
    and so on
    all a/m makes jalen in an awkward situation - a 19 year old kid just begin to feel for the game, let alone there aint any reliable system in place, to let him fit in, the 1-3-4-5 positions all debatable...then why on hell jalen off the bench could solve the problems? or is he the problem atop the list?

my point, either finding a coach who can tutor young'uns and bringing in a system at least, or let jalen off the bench in the meantime ask silas giving a whole package of solutions to tackle our problems based on a packing order.

#59 DeBeards, Nov 17, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

hopefully he manages to settle in because a lot of his misses look really bad…like not even close to being on target the second it leaves his hands as it clanks violently off the rim bad

apollo33 and charlieaustin like this.