1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experiment is Over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by atam, Oct 20, 2021.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

His arsenal has been monotonous of sorts.

All 3s, step backs, dribble drive, dribble drive, finish or get stuck. Body check, body check.

He also does not rebound that well, Harden and Westbrook were really rebounding monsters.

Oh, and bricks.

palmsnbananas and robbie380 like this.
  2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Before anything elae fix his shot first

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

His jumper is busted needs to be fixed first before anything else

palmsnbananas likes this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Because he can't shoot and isn't a competent enough passer to give other players wide open 3 point attempts.

robbie380 likes this.
  6. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Also because those other players aren’t good 3 point shooters.

Tfor3 likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Stagnation in his growth for the past 2 weeks or so is concerning. He's definitely not improving game to game as I would have hoped.

This is going to be a long project if Green becomes what I hope he can be but I'm expecting a very bad rookie season. I'm not sure he'll even make a all rookie team.

Two weeks of solid play can erase this taste we have of him so far. So opinions can change fast.

charlieaustin likes this.
  8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Joshua Primo was the youngest player in the draft. Jalen wasn't even the youngest player the Rockets drafted.

jiggyfly, snowconeman22 and amaru like this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

A competent passer would hit Wood in the corner where he's a 38% 3 point shooter or you'd have Theis for an open 3 at the top of the arc

In another, he's got KPJ in the corner who is a 46% 3 point shooter from there.

All of those are valid options for a quality ball handler. The fact that he can't do that is why Green shouldn't be starting.

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley, and Moochie Norris all think Jalen Green has a low BB IQ.

palmsnbananas and Williamson like this.
  11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Jalen Green's profile is that he has to be a 30 PPG scorer to be a big time contributor in the league. Whatever the Rockets do, it should be to maximize his scoring development. I don't think they should develop him as some sort of playmaker, for example. They should be running plays where he gets the ball in scoring positions and becoming a finisher.

12. vator

vator Contributing Member

I still believe in Jalen Green in that he will develop into an all-star caliber player eventually, but watching him brick 3 pointer after 3 pointer is extremely tiring. I’m annoyed by his shot selection and his approach. I’m also immensely annoyed by Wood and KPJ as well, but those rants belong in different threads. It’s not just the losing. These 3 guys play low IQ basketball that is hard to enjoy watching. There is zero cohesiveness between this trimuverant.

fchowd0311 and conquistador#11 like this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Chalk me up as frustrated. Trying to keep perspective and realize for some guys it's a multiple year development process before they become actually good. But the past few games have really made me a bit jaded with Green.

15. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I thought he would be a better shooter than what he’s shown. 28% from three is a bad I figured he would struggle finishing around the rim because of his small frame.

with that said I figure he would also shoot 36-37% from 3 and be getting a solid 15-17 ppg because he would get all the minutes he can handle.

we’ll 14 games in and he has gotten the minutes and had 3 solid games were he shot well and scored well.

but man he has been very unimpressive so far.

all the rookies picked around him have looked better and that’s what’s most disappointing.

I admit I was a cade/Mobley guy but you guys and the internet sold me on green.

I’m not giving up it’s 14 games in and he’s young but he has to be shooting 41/35 splits by midseason or I will be very concerned that he is a bust or just a rotation backup guy moving forward.

you don’t have to be all world your rookie year but the guys who become allstars or even just starters don’t play/shoot this poorly their rookie year

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Bit disingenuous to compare an entire season to the first 12 games though, no? Can't be bothered doing this for all of them because it took me ages but Beal's first 12 games (his main comp I see) were as follows:

Beal FG 42/129 32% 3PFG 17/52 32%

Oh look, seems like he's pretty similar to his main comp after all. Oh well.

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

his flashes are wonderful if he demonstrates a good work ethic he shouldn't be a bust no way....

YaoMing#1 and Dobbizzle like this.
  19. jogo

jogo Member

This is a good point so I looked them up. The splits are as close as I could get without having to do a lot of extra work (they were split by month).

Kobe first 14 games 40.4% and 48% TS 56.2%
    Booker first 13 games 51% and 60% (I'm not calculating TS% here bc I'm not sure how to average it. It's probably way above 56.2% from Kobe.)
    Lavine first 11 games 41.4% and 27.8% and 49.8 TS% (first year was 42.2% and 34.1% and 51.5 TS%) Green gets most often compared to Lavine and Green's averages won't sniff 42.2% and 34.1% and 51.5% unless something huge changes.

Green could improve a lot like Beal, regress like Booker, or get marginally better like the rest.

Dob-Where do you think his %s end up at end of season? I think it's realistic to see 40% and 32%. Those would be pretty far off from those other players by season's end. What do you think they will be?

The idea that these numbers will magically shoot up during the season is suspect to me. They could go up over the offseason and next year but I doubt they go above 40% and 32% this year (really, I could see 30% or 31% on 3s but I'm trying to help him here). And I can't get excited about either of those numbers. People dogged Lavine for 42% and 34% and we should be disappointed if Green shows similar numbers (or worse) at end of season.

Green has been playing better in the last few games but statistically it's still a bit of a mess. His last really solid game was on 11/2 against the Lakers. Since then: Fg% 21.4%, 33.3%, 33.3%, 40%, 33.3%, 28.6%, 46.2%, 3pt% 28.6%, 0%, 16.7%, 27.3%, 50%, 0%, 33.3%. I looked at those games and I thought, "40%. He's playing better. Wait, now I'm happy for 40%?" Just making up a number: 43% is a good fg% from him for a game. He has 3 of those out of 14 games. That number will go up but how much?

Green's is probably fine and those numbers will go up. He might become a great player in a few years. But I'm not going to say he had a good year if he manages 40% and 32%

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is 19, let him develop.

Take him out of the starting lineup now.....he hasn't earned it.....make him earn it.

DD