1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Isn’t Silas On The Hot Seat?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Xopher

Xopher Member

It isn't the development I have a problem with, yet. It is the bone headed rotations he is throwing out there. Nwaba should have never been on the floor in the 4th. Why not have JG out there in the 4th trying to build some confidence? Why not have the rookies playing the entire 4th? Why keep playing the same starting lineup when it clearly isn't the best lineup?

juanming and steddinotayto like this.
  2. Xopher

Xopher Member

Furthermore I want a coach who holds people accountable. I can handle a rookie making mistakes. I can't handle veterans like House making idiotic plays and hot having his a** handed to him and not riding the bench. I can't handle KPJ missing shots and then pouting and not getting back on D without having his a** handed to him and being put on the bench.

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i can handle nwaba missing 3pts or FTs...but i cant handle him not working on it at all in the offseason
    and not only nwaba... nobody seems to work on their shot on the rockets...and i dont even count team practices they are too short , messy and not a good place to master the shot... this requires additional individual work over the summer and every day during regular season after the team practices...

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

nwaba should in fact never play until he develops semi reliable 3pt shot...he shouldnt even practice anything(no weightroom, no nothing) save 3pt shot...theres no place for wings in this league that cant shoot....this is his 2nd season under silas and silas did nothing to help him improve his shot, in fact he become worse at it under silas

#124 hakeem94, Nov 16, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  5. ACL1

ACL1 Member

I’ve watched the rockets for more than 40 years now . I do not recall any of the teams be this bad, ever!!! I don’t mind watching them lose , it’s a part of development. But this team does not look like they’ve been coached at all. There are no set plays , they don’t even know where they are suppose to be on the court . No out of bout plays . No pick and rolls ( the simplest strategy on basketball) That’s why a lot of passes fly off out of bounds . It’s like watching 5 guys on the Y get randomly picked as a team playing vs actual nba teams A bunch of AAU 8 graders have better team startegy in their first game together than these guys. In the first 14 games of the season I have yet to see any improvement that I would say they have gotten better than the first game or they move in the right direction . No logic to rotations . He just stands on the sidelines a and smiles as they throw the ball away ….

DaDakota, bmelo, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  6. bmelo

bmelo Member

Also why do you think there are best positions to shoot for our players? because opposing defenses are begging our no skilled players(Nwabas, Theises and other Houses) to shoot it wide ****ing open! They are daring JG/KPJ to penetrate into the basket because they know with big inside they can't finish. Its not like we run some ****ing offense that creates good looks my god I swear this team need college/european coach to teach this young's basics (that's what EG tries to sneak in interviews too). We need REAL COACH, not NBA-PUPPET-COACH that will micromanage and coordinate. We need real coach that runs practices, is a leader and knows what the hell is he doing

harold bingo and hakeem94 like this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, it literally does....when you have attention to detail, you can see the improvement immediately, maybe not the result but you can see people making harder crisper cuts, you can see them ignoring the refs and not whining when they miss a shot, you can see them getting yanked when they make a stupid pass, and him talking to them, explaining it and putting them back in....teaching moments.

These are KIDS...they need someone with ATTENTION TO DETAIL to coach them....the fundamentals.

DD

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

juanming likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

There is some prudent truth to what @Clutch said about evaluating the coaching staff and front office.

The reality is that we don't know how much of what Silas does is coming from the front office and how much is his own coaching decisions. For example playing Porter and Green heavy minutes.

The reality is that no coach would look good running out a starting backcourt of Kevin Porter and Jalen Green. Neither player is experienced enough to know how to win and both need major improvement. They don't know how to win or play well yet, and they don't play well together. The Rockets could have Anthony Davis on this team and still be sub .500% with that backcourt.

Silas also has to deal with a malcontent on his team (Porter) and veterans that really don't want to be on this team (Gordon and Wood).

So while I am not pleased by a lot of things I have seen from Silas, the reality is he has a really tough job right now.

If the Rockets keep losing and the chemistry gets worse, I think he could be gone at the end of this season.

D-rock, BossHogg713 and snowconeman22 like this.
  12. DaDakota

Porter is not a malcontent, he is just immature.

DD

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

FIRE HIM ANYWAY!

BossHogg713 and DaDakota like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Hitting women..... getting kicked off your high school and college team.... being removed from your employer by security after throwing stuff..... having your coach say he has to modify how he talks to you depending on your mood each day? No.... that is more than just immaturity. Doesn't mean he won't improve as a person, but he goes beyond normal immaturity.

gfab-babyboi, amaru and FrontRunner like this.
  15. DaDakota

Charles Barkley threw a man through a glass window, Hakeem Olajuwon used to punch players in game, the NBA is littered with kids that come from broken homes that are not very acceptable to societal norms.......some of them mature and become great players......others fall off....Terrance WIllians, Eddie Griffin etc.....

But you don't give up on talent at 21, if you can nurture it and help him mature....we have only had him 1 year.....and some of you are chucking him aside.....that is what has happened his whole life.....let's see what a little understanding, compassion and tough love can do....

DD

D-rock and BossHogg713 like this.
  16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

yes ... some truth . He can’t just have a blank check to go 5-65 or something like that.

furthermore , what does it say about our organization if Stone and co are making decisions about PT and NOT Silas ?

did we really fear Silas playing wall and us being great ? So we had to sit him out ?

did green look good in practice ? Or was he lost ? If so why did we start him ?

Just depressing man

17. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I don't know why people keep talking about these things like anything matters until the Rockets get new ownership. They will never sniff a title under Tilman without a HUGE stroke of luck (like LeBron caliber draft winnings and getting a title before his rookie contract is up)... We've seen better, bigger organizations crumble under the weight of arguably less problematic ownership.

18. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Two sides to this...

On the one side:

You aren't getting a great coach to come replace Silas. History says that you will get Lucas who may or may not be any better, and is already doing a ton of work with these guys. You also run the risk of a better coach not wanting the job if he thinks Silas is being let go for not flourishing in a situation where any coach is going to struggle to get wins. It makes sense to at least wait until the season is over to change directions if there is no obvious upgrade both available and willing to take the job. The season started with a stretch against almost all playoff teams, and not winning those games individually isn't shocking. I think 20-30 wins is about the best you can hope from even if you had Popovich, Phil Jackson or whatever other coach of your choice leading the team, and no established coach of that caliber is coming here any time soon. There are rumblings that we have some players that refuse to listen to coaching, and it's not clear how much that would change with a different coach anyway.

On the other side:

Last season, and what we have seen so far this season, is as bad a stretch as any the Rockets have ever had. It's not Silas fault that we aren't a playoff team or close to it, but there also isn't anything to suggest that any coach couldn't duplicate or exceed these results. There are large stretches where we aren't even competitive. We seem to make the same mistakes over and over.

I'd still wait and see how the rest of the season goes, but right now it's hard to imagine Silas will still have the job by the time this team is competing for playoff spots. Twenty wins is the floor for me to be an "acceptable" coaching job, but right now we are on a pace to win less than 8. Tough schedule sure, but the Pelicans just beat the Grizzlies, and the Rockets made them look like they were the Durant/Curry Warriors. The team is brutal to watch. We have to go 19-67 to reach 20 wins the rest of the way.

jboslett likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

What does it say about our organization if Stone has control about PT? Well it mostly just says that the power with the organization rests with the front office and not the coach. It isn't the first time a GM has controlled or influenced a coaches decisions. Morey did it with Adelman and also McHale. Ainge did it early with Brad Stevens as well and there are other examples.

Wall didn't want to play with the Rockets, and the Rockets front office wanted to give time to Porter and Green. That is why he isn't playing. The front office has tried to paint it in a positive light but Wall and the Rockets both really were not terribly interested in him playing. Would Silas want Wall to play? I am sure, because he is right now a better player than Green or Porter. Remember, Silas wanted a backcourt of Wall and Oladipo. That backcourt would have more wins, but wouldn't help the team long term.

As for Jalen Green, I haven't heard anything negative about him from inside the Rockets other than some of the coaches were surprised he is as raw as he is. Why is Jalen Green starting? Because he is a huge part of the Rockets future and they believe the benefit he gets playing outweighs the harm to his development. Having said that, I don't believe the Rockets knew he would struggle to the degree he has. FWIW I think he has looked marginally better the last handful of games.

Yeah, it is depressing but rebuilding in the NBA is hard when you don't already have a veteran difference maker on the roster. Also, the fact that Green was the Rockets draft pick means more losses in the short term because guys like Barnes and Mobley do little things to win that Green doesn't currently do. The benefit is we likely get a higher draft pick this season, the negative is that the Rockets may develop bad habits.

J.R., D-rock, amaru and 1 other person like this.
  20. TimDuncanDonaut

And flipped his car. Loaded handgun in the car, which apparently is illegal in Ohio.

Nook likes this.