1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Mark Berman: Astros offering Carlos Correa a 5 year/160 million dollar contract

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaBeard, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yeah; I do not expect him to take less to stay here - though "less" is relative.

There might be a number he simply can't refuse, and the Rangers may very well hit it. But I don't think $300MM from the Rangers will carry as much weight as $280MM from the Astros, is what I mean.

Wherever he ends up, he is going to get paid. He just doesn't strike me as a guy that would take more for the sake of more and not consider the other elements, if not equally, still very important.

2. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know if anyone other than Carlos, his wife and maybe his agent know where he will end up.

I don't know if it is worth anything but when he first was drafted by the Astros and was very young he made comments in private that he wanted to get the biggest contract in baseball history and talked about playing in NY or LA.

However over the last few years he has seemed to change some on that point. I know that he has talked to some about how he wants a legacy with the Astros if possible and that he wanted to be the long term face of an organization and how some of the older Latin players had told him the same thing, how they wish they had done something similar.

No idea what if any importance this will actually have, but he seems to have changed his focus somewhat.

FWIW I think the Astros will be fine either way.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Just a formality. I have seen several people on twitter lamenting this. I am not sure if they don't understand what this is and think that it means he can't come back here or what, but there is no way he was taking the QO with deals that are going to be on the table.

5. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

6. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Correa to the Astros confirmed :).

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Im sure wherever he goes theres going to be a clause restricting him from MASSAGES.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Can contracts include an ownership stake?

9. Buck Turgidson

The City Of Houston needs to license about a dozen real masseuses and have it written into every contract that they are the only ones allowed to touch our professional athletes.

BMoney, raining threes and msn like this.
  10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I love carlos but I am salivating at what this team can be using that money elsewhere. We have some leaders and if we add some top pitching and some power at SS or CF then the sky stays the limit.

I am fine with him returning as well but it seems to be a handcuff at this point.

11. Hey Now!

Man, he wasn't even 18 when they drafted him. It was 10 years ago. I would guess whatever was said has changed and evolved as he's grown and matured.

Hopefully.

If he really *wants* a 10-year contract, he knows this will be his one and only pay day and all signs point to him taking a very Tom Brady-like approach: doing his homework and looking for the right chemistry in addition to the most money. I just keep looking at the landscape - and other than money (maybe) - I just don't see a team that can offer him as much as the Astros.

Nook likes this.
  12. raining threes

Somebody should've put this clause in Watson's contract.

13. Hey Now!

So.... re-sign Correa?...

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Carlos isn’t a new toy so simply bringing him back isn’t as exciting as other potential moves, but there probably isn’t a better move they can make then retaining him.

BigMaloe, cmlmel77, DVauthrin and 3 others like this.
  15. awc713

awc713 Member

if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. And Stros are far from broken. $ and years are obviously the big question mark…while we can’t control what other orgs do/offer, I just hope we don’t get Drayton/Beltran’ed this time around. I’m pretty confident that won’t happen, and that we’ll make a competitive offer when it’s all said and done…just a matter if we get blown out of the water or not.

BigM and DVauthrin like this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Milos likes this.
  18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

The Texans provide access to massage therapists on site and off site. They use Genuine Touch Massage Therapy. No need to seek other therapists unless you are lookin for something else.

Nook and raining threes like this.
  19. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The Astros have the financial flexibility to sign Correa to a massive AAV (30-35M a year) and sign Verlander while remaining under their payroll from last season. Their current payroll is in the 136-137M range.

Altuve: $29M
    Yuli: $8M
    Bregman: $12.66M
    Maldonado and Castro: $9.25M combined
    Brantley: $16M
    Tucker/AlvarezMcCormick/Siri/Meyers: $750K each, or $3.75M
    Diaz: $4-5M

83-84M for the offense without Correa

Pitching:

McCullers: $17M
    Odorizzi: $8M
    Valdez: 3M in arbitration
    Garcia and Urquidy: $750K each, 1.5M combined

29.5M in starting pitching

Bullpen:

Pressly: $10M
    Stanek: $3-4M in arbitration 2
    Baez: $5.5M
    Maton: $2M in arb 2
    Javier, Taylor and Bielak: $750K each, or 2.25M

23.25M for the bullpen

Signing the best position player on the team is not handcuffing the organization. The Astros could sign Carlos and JV to $55M in AAV and still be under their $198M payroll from last season. Next year, Brantley (35), Pressly (34), Yuli (38), Castro (35) and Diaz are free agents. They make about $42-43M combined. They will buy Baez out for 2M, so that’s another 3.5M saved. If Odorizzi declines his player option, they clear $52M. Otherwise, it’s $45-46M. Bregman’s deal increases by $18M for 2023, and they do have to deal with the first year of arbitration for Tucker and Alvarez, but unless either wins the MVP next year, their first year arbitration numbers will be somewhere below $10M. Point is, even factoring in those raises and the ones Stanek, Valdez and Maton might earn depending on their performance in 2022, the Astros have the flexibility to make it work.

Finally, Max Scherzer is not coming here. Kershaw has forearm inflammation issues just like McCullers. If I’m giving a high AAV contract, I’m giving it to Carlos Correa at his age before I ever give it to any starting pitcher, whether it’s Kershaw, Verlander, Robbie Ray, Carlos Rodon, etc. Too much injury risk and volatility for my taste. We saw that first hand with Verlander, and there are numerous other examples of very good to elite pitchers getting hurt or simply falling off performance wise like David Price, Blake Snell, Mike Clevinger, Chris Sale, Noah Syndergaard, Patrick Corbin and Stephen Strasburg with the Nationals, etc. Even DeGrom missed most of last season with arm problems.

#419 DVauthrin, Nov 15, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    everyday eddie and BigM like this.
  20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Can we sign marte, simien and a TOR starter? Or simien, verlander, and some bullpen help? I would be happy with Correa and Verlander.