1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark Berman: Astros offering Carlos Correa a 5 year/160 million dollar contract

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaBeard, Nov 6, 2021.

1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

If you look at the replies to his tweet, another person corroborates his info. We shall see.

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

This was the same guy Blummer was hanging out with this week for the golf tourney in Houston. I am as intrigued as Ashby now.

3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Could they still land Marte if CC stayed?

4. HeyBudLetsParty

I think if it was an insane offer, north of 300 million, he would be an Astro by now

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They’re not going to bid against themselves. Maybe there’s an internal understanding that they’ll match (in pre income tax $$) another teams offer.

or maybe they’re all full of **** like Chandler Rome said.

Jake Tower and snowconeman22 like this.
  6. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I went back and looked at some of my old posts at CFB on this subject. In March of 21 I said 6yrs and $210M Was where the Astros would wind up at on Carlos and that is where they are now.
    On the other hand a couple of months before that I said Pena would hit close to 20 home runs in the second half of 22. Pena does not make it up in 22 if Carlos accepts the offer. Either outcome sounds OK to me.

7. HTown2017Champs

I honestly doubt one affects the other. They're two different players that play very different roles. I've stated in the other thread that Marte does not excite me, unlike most of y'all, and outline my reasons. That said, Marte clearly has a big market and I think we'll be outbid, fortunately (for me).

8. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Pena is likely in the majors with another team in '22 if we re-sign Correa.

rockbox and raining threes like this.
  9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I don't know. I think we keep him as a utility guy to replace Diaz and then replace Bregman when he comes due a couple years down the road.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Pena will be 27 years old by then, where Correa is now... and that's when he gets a chance to be a starter?

His highest possible trade value is now. His highest possible ability to be a long term starter is now. I'd venture one or the other will happen going into this season.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Because they didn't need to bid against themselves.

It might yet happen - and, if so, the Astros can wave a hearty good-bye: but the 10/$300+MM payday just doesn't look like it's in the works for Correa. 7-8/$250 is looking far more likely and I think that's a sandbox the Astros are willing to play in - but, again: why offer it *now* when he was going to test the market regardless and you don't want to send him into it thinking ~$250 is his floor.

This is breaking nicely for the Astros - especially if/when Seager goes to NYY. There is not going to be another team on the market that fits Correa's likely long list of wants *and* have the $$ he wants.

#371 Hey Now!, Nov 14, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  12. rockbox

You know he will have plenty of time for an extended runs in the next 2 season because of injuries. If he's good, then maybe trade Bregman. I would only trade him if it brings us an Ace pitcher. We all know if we sign Correa, there will be no way we can pay Bregman long term also unless he regresses.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You're all over the place. Pena will get a chance to be an everyday player... either here or via trade.

Bregman will be getting paid $30 million/year. Nobody is trading for him. He's already going to be considered a "long term" Astro by the time his contract is up at age 30. By that point, his value and future production (along with health status) should be fairly declared.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Good take. We all obviously want Correa but I think the likelihood of him being a bad value starts to be too high around $280M. And of course anything under about $180M he is likely to be a pretty good value; I don’t think it’s a coincidence Houston has set their initial offer slightly below that mark, and it will really surprise me if they go much over $220M.

15. Major

Major Member

What is this based on? Have we heard anything from any team out there in regards to deals offered to Correa? I think we all said the same things about Harper and Machado when they went months without signing - they just waited out the market and eventually got their deals in the Spring. People laughed at the idea of Lindor getting $300MM+ last preseason and then it happened. I don't think anyone in mid-November has any idea what deals might get offered to Correa, especially when you add in the labor uncertainty.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I do think there's an added element of urgency this off-season with a possible work stoppage. There will be a lot of guys who are reluctant to go into those negotiations without a contract already in hand.

raining threes likes this.
  17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

This is probably true for many guys. That said Correa will certainly get at least the Astros offer even after a potential work stoppage. He’ll sign the right deal if it’s offered now but I don’t know if there’s any real gamble for him in waiting.

raining threes and Major like this.
  18. rockbox

Again, if Bregman is indeed worth 30 million, then someone will trade for him. If he is not, we will trade him and eat some of that 30 million and let Pena take 3rd base. We are not going to field a 100 million dollar per year infield long term.

rockets1995 and snowconeman22 like this.
  19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Somewhat agree .

out of yordan , tucker , and Bregman ... if we keep Correa then we can only keep 2 out of 3 .

If we think Pena is good enough to replace Correa , he’s good enough to replace Bregman .

Pena’s advanced status makes it hard for you to keep him down too long . I Think it’s a potentially amazing outcome to use him as a utility guy . But ... who knows , he could be much more valuable as a trade piece

20. Jeremy Williams

I'm not sure it should be considered an initial offer. We've been making offers to Correa for a long time. Once Correa starts exploring the open market, I think we move on. In reality, I think we moved on at the start of the 2021 season when Correa decided to test free agency.

raining threes likes this.