1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Mark Berman: Astros offering Carlos Correa a 5 year/160 million dollar contract

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaBeard, Nov 6, 2021.

1. jayfree

jayfree Member

Put it this way... any team dumb enough to spend over $300 mill for him we won't have to worry about in the playoffs.

2. jayfree

jayfree Member

Agreed. We can get along with Pena or Leon I'm sure. We've been spoiled as ss for years but it's not an Ozzie Smith league anymore (and even him came from the Padres after a few years)

Maybe we can get Verlander back, sign Scherzer for only a few years (and only use him in the second half of the season so he's fresh for the playoffs LOL) and use Correa money to go after 1 more SP

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You could easily just ask who is really worth $30 million a year when they're actually getting $30 million a year. That includes some current Astros.

The answer is basically nobody.

But if you want to have players in their prime years, either a lengthy contract... or a very high AAV after their prime years... is the price.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You're sure?

Keep in mind, people were still calling Tucker a bust as recently as April of this year... he made his debut in 2018.

The MLB learning curve is steep. Even steeper due to last year's lost season for some minor leaguers.

5. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Scherzer is not leaving the West Coast. He made it clear at the trade deadline that’s where he wanted to finish his career. If it’s not the Dodgers, I’d expect him to sign with the Giants, Angels or Padres.

6. Marteen

Marteen Member

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

#347 J.R., Nov 12, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  8. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

This guy knows a couple players on the Astros personally and has some pretty good connections. He’s been pretty adamant about the Astros making Correa a very competitive offer. Stay tuned

9. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I think Houston is done bidding on Correa. Their offer of 6/210 is as far as I believe they will go. they have a few other issues to deal with this winter and time is going to be an issue with the CBA potentially chewing up all of the winter and on into the Spring. If a deal is not done before the current CBA expires I don't see one happening.

raining threes likes this.
  10. Major

Major Member

That is ... weird. The problem with a $300MM deal is the out years - it has no effect on the first several. The Astros are willing to pay him $32MM/yr for 5 years. If they were willing to pay him $300MM over 10 years, they'd actually have a lower payroll from 2022-2026. Pretty sure they'd make the playoffs next year.

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I’d never heard of the platinum glove award until opening this thread. That’s cool.

BigMaloe, jklb, noppeper and 5 others like this.
  12. Major

Major Member

All the 10+ year deals in MLB history:

No Regrets (4): A-Rod (two different 10 year contracts!), Jeter, Votto
    Didn't Work Out (2): Pujols, Cano
    Mixed? (1): Stanton (great when healthy, but not very healthy)
    To-Be-Determined (6): Tatis, Betts (already won 1 WS), Harper, Lindor, Machado, Trout

I think the main lesson we learn is don't sign 31+ year olds to 10 year contracts.

marks0223 likes this.
  13. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Jake Tower, DVauthrin and texans1095 like this.
  14. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Didn't Betts win the WS in his last contract? Didn't his new contract start for the 2021 season so no WS yet. Although I wouldn't be surprised if he does get another ws in his new contract

15. jayfree

jayfree Member

How many teams have gone deep in the playoffs with a $300 mil player so far? And usually when that happens the organization is reluctant to offer contracts (especially longer ones) to retain or sway other notable players. So yes it makes perfect sense.

Until that changes I'm okay with not worrying too much about a team that overpays to pick him up if that's the case.

16. Major

Major Member

There's only 8 of those contracts, and most were signed in the last couple of years, not necessarily with an immediate payoff in mind. The two older ones are mixed - Trout has gone nowhere; Stanton's Yankees have made the playoffs in all 4 of his years and made the ALCS. They missed the playoffs in 3 of the 5 years previous to acquiring his giant deal. The other 6 are all in Years 1-3 of their deals. Harper, Lindor, Tatis, and Machado were building blocks for teams that weren't already great. Betts joined a great team and has been to an NLCS in Yr 1 of his deal and was on the best regular-season team in baseball. Cole is in Year 2 of a team with plenty of resources to chase whomever they want. The teams may not be good, but that doesn't mean that the big contracts are the reason for it - there are lots of crappy teams without $300MM players too. None of these deals have hampered any of their teams from improving. The Yankees, Mets, Angels, Phillies, Dodgers, Angels, etc are still all the big names in the market for the biggest free agents.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It does seem that Astros social media, and all the current players, are still rallying around Correa... both in his accomplishments and in simply what he's up to.

May mean absolutely nothing... but they did nothing of the sorts with Cole or Springer (or Greinke currently).

They also never gave the others an offer (or even a token offer), so I guess there's that. As much as Chandler Rome continues to insist this is all just posturing as it was with the other FA's, the Astros have had tangible differences with how they've addressed and approached Correa's impending free agency.

BigMaloe, Kim, DVauthrin and 4 others like this.
  18. texans1095

texans1095 Member

That’s what I thought as well

BMoney and Marteen like this.
  19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

20. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Not getting my hopes up, but obviously I want him to stay an Astro.