1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj Report: John Wall increasingly likely to sit entire season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Nov 11, 2021.

1. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Not even remotely similar.

napalm06 likes this.
  2. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I want his job!

3. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Why is Wall is simply ok with this? He is still in his prime and would want another big contract. Sitting out simply would not help his cause. At least Green and Sengun would develop better with a playmaker like Wall who is 100 times better than KPJ at this point. This decision by the management is puzzling after seeing how poorly KPJ is playing at PG.

#103 Magicsaint, Nov 12, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    Ramo$e, DaDakota and gogispade like this.
  4. amaru

amaru Member

I wonder how he’ll respond to being stuck here after the trade deadline.

sirjesse, DaDakota and BossHogg713 like this.
  5. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Millionaire Gang Member?

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

wall is not even close to still in his prime. He's not coming near a big contract again. He'll be ring chasing bottom barrel deals after this super max is done

Williamson and CarlosGM like this.
  7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It's obviously not just Rockets mgmt. I think it's clear basically everyone around John Wall including John Wall are paranoid about him being able to stay healthy. They are trying to keep him healthy for a trade and by doing so are really doing a great job of convincing other teams that he's incredibly fragile physically.

I always said going into this season that they should just go in assuming he's a member of the team, and the starting PG. I knew he'd only stay healthy for the first quarter of the season at most, and KPJ or whomever would get as much PT as they could handle. If a trade came, great, but just play the guy until he injures himself and is out for the season. There's no upside to doing what the Rockets and Wall's team are trying to do here if it's done long term. It proves how fragile the guy is.

8. splendidchen

splendidchen Member

I think we are just tanking. Trading him has always been nearly impossible without multiple picks attached. If we are actually trying our best to trade him this season, the best strategy and the only hope is showcase him as a capable savior of this horrible team who can actually lead us to some wins. We will see if that's what we end up doing. If he is unable to do that or re-injures himself, his contract will become even more untradeable but it's not like it was tradeable to begin with.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Like others have said,, and Jeff Van Gundy(!), I realize Wall won't help the team that much but im surprised the NBA doesn't have this in its sights as extremely blatant tanking, or intentionally being non competitive. This would be pretty cheesy from the outside looking in on another team and it's debatable whether it's sportsmanlike.

Don't get me wrong I'll take the high draft pick. I could just see a case to be made for this not being a desirable scenario for the league or the PA.

And for some reason we keep playing Danuel House.

Xopher, amaru and DaDakota like this.
  10. opticon

opticon Member

I am fine with John resting and training and sitting out this year. He needs to play next year and show value so we can move him at the 2022 trade deadline. Injuries are a part of the league. Someone is going to get hurt at some point in early 2022 and will eat his expiring deal if he can contribute.

11. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

The pistons did the same thing with Blake, I think Charlotte did with Batum, it’s not a clear car of tanking but a clear case of putting development as a priority.

articles have already said Houston has been willing trade him(nobody wants him at that price) and willing to buy him out(wall not giving up a cent).

amaru likes this.
  12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

After the deadline

Wall: Hey Rich are my paychecks still coming in?
    Paul: You know it!
    Wall:

[​IMG]

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Pretty sure Washington won the Wall Westbrook trade lol.

14. dmoneybangbang

Being the most desperate team in each of the trades never ends well....

amaru likes this.
  15. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

The Wizards are 8-3, after trading Westbrook for 3 useful and young players: Kuzma, Caldwell-Pope and Harrell.
    We traded the same guy for the worst contract in the NBA...and here we are...Not Stone's finest moment...

NewAge likes this.
  16. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

But we also got half Sengun out of that trade

17. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

Exactly - HALF of Sengun, since it took the FRP pick from the Wizards AND the Pistons FRP pick...and we get to eat $44M this year and probably most of another $47M next year.

18. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

you can't always foresee stupidity. Yes, the lakers made an idiotic trade, but the rockets also have zero useful for role players like kuzma and harrell, all they would do it potentially mess up our picks. I'm THILLED with how that trade has worked out, A++++ so far

19. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

It’s bizarre that he’s not an active player, I’ve been a proponent of showcasing him in a 6th man role.

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well we did get a 1st rounder in the deal. I guess the question would be would you trade a single wizards 1st rounder for Kuzma, Caldwell-Pope and Harrell. I'm not sure I would unless I thought I could trade them elsewhere and get back at least 2 1st round picks. I don't want to make any of those guys part of our rebuild.