1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

re spider tack, I wonder if the new CBa and new season will include a swinging back of the pendulum to allow some types of substances for grip. Plenty of voices this year about how the approach was an over correction and potentially led to injuries (glasnow).

if so, maybe that impacts the valuation of someone like Framber.

raining threes, lw17 and Htown Legend like this.
  2. TheresTheDagger

Astrodome, AznH-TownFan and lw17 like this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Pretty sure those 3 contracts combined would put Houston right at the luxury tax, and in order to address CF or the bullpen they’d have to trade Odorizzi and/or add cheap players via trade. Fwiw I think Semien will get a lot more than that and Rodon will get a lot less. But that’s a great free agent haul and assuming McCormick hits the lineup and rotation would be stacked.

4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Also, there is about a ZERO chance the Astros give Rodon 5 years

5. TheresTheDagger

There's only 2 contracts. Verlander goes to the Angels in this article.

PavlovsDog and Snake Diggit like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

It's an interesting idea.

The Astros giving Rodon 5/95 would take huge balls, but I will say this, I don't think people realize just how dominant Rodon was last year when he did pitch. He averaged 13 K's per 9 innings and a 5:1 K/BB ratio. I am in Chicago and watched him hit 99-100 on the radar gun and be close to unhittable. He doesn't give up many hard hit balls either. He was, when he pitched, the best pitcher in the AL.

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

My bad I misread it.

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If the Astros strictly want to replace Correa’s offense and patch the OF for 2022, would Nelson Cruz make some sense? It would mean committing to an everyday outfield of Brantley/Tucker/Alvarez, but Cruz would likely come on a 1 year deal and be by far the most affordable elite bat available.

Nook likes this.
  9. Pringles

Pringles Member

I would be okay with it since it was our offense that lost us the world series....

10. Mattician

Mattician Member

When does everyone think we'll start to see teams signing players? Like the top free agents.

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I would be very surprised if we saw any free agent deals >$50M signed before the new CBA is settled, which may not be until next year, optimistically the CBA will be settled in December and free agency would begin in earnest in January, but a lockout could delay things well into the spring.

It would not surprise me to see a flurry of 3rd and 4th tier deals ($5M-$50M range) get done over the next 2 weeks. I also think we will see a smattering of trades next week in advance of the roster deadline related to Rule 5 eligibility.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was shocked he didn't get the QO for that reason.

Like McCullers, his innings and usage need to be managed, but if you can get to the post season with him healthy, he's a difference maker. I don't know that I'd go 5 years, but I'd think hard about 4.

13. TheresTheDagger

Not to mention Semien would be an outstanding replacement for Correa given the length and cost of each potential contract. Semien finished 3rd in the AL MVP and hit 45 dingers which I believe was the most ever by a 2nd baseman.

On a side note, I wonder if the Astros have considered moving Bregman to short and shop around for a 3rd baseman as a way of opening up options assuming Correa leaves.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

For Rodon, how about something novel like 4yr/60m + 400k/playoff innings pitched (about another 10-12m/yr if we go all the way)

raining threes likes this.
  15. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Simien numbers must have been inflated some by playing in Dunedin, or whatever little league field it was. I’d be a touch surprised if he got that long a deal.

that long of a deal on rodon is terrifying.

16. Marteen

Marteen Member

Not happening, according to Click.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...nt-offer-to-Carlos-Correa-not-in-16607771.php

17. raining threes

I would be happy to go 4 years but not 5.

Also how long is Dusty going to be around and how will Dusty use him.

18. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Is Rodon like McCullers? Healthy to start the season but most likely injured at some point of the season,whether it's the midway point or near the end of the season? If so, kind of reluctant on Rodon. Would suck if both gets injured at the sane time, especially in the post season.

lw17 and Squirtle like this.
  19. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Game 1 and 6 say hello on pitching being crappy. But agree that offense was a problem too.

raining threes likes this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Game 4 was THE game. They had the opportunity to put all sorts of runs on the board and ended up losing a one run game.

They clearly lost a game they should have won. Can't say the same for any of the other games... the better team won every other game.