1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Almost everything that is wrong with the offense summed in one video

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by flamingdts, Nov 11, 2021.

1. BonziWellsGOAT

Silas' burner account detected

Zen Tabak, Dobbizzle and Joe Rocket like this.
  2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Crazy how we went from high IQ players in Chris Paul, James Harden, Trevor Ariza, PJ Tucker to KPJ/Wood.

DeBeards, fryjol7, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

matches the IQ of the owner

4. HP3

HP3 Member

Listen man, the fact is Wood is a very good player. But how good do you believe he actually is?

Stephen_A and D-rock like this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

Being a hard ass coach isnt going to get anything out of anyone. See Stan Van Gundy.

Stephen_A likes this.
  6. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's unlikely the Rockets ever have a backcourt again with as high a bball iq as CP3/Harden. :(

DeBeards, fryjol7, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

Cmon man. Last year every person on here wanted Wall not to play, both him and Dipo were bad.

Lets just give the man more time. If its like this in 1-2 years, we can revisit this but right now, the young guys just need to learn.

Stephen_A likes this.
  8. Franchise 101

Franchise 101 Member

Toxicfans poster at it again. This site has the classless uneducated hate rage knee jerk emotional boys of all rockets sites I've been on. Can count on ol toxicfans to bring the toxicity and negativity.

D-rock likes this.
  9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Already mentioned it. Read some of my other posts. But let me reiterate my main position. Players not owners not coaches not GM’s. Players make the league and the game.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Get ready for franchise worst seasons, every season Silas is here.

It doesnt require us to be the worst team for multiple seasons to get back to playoffs.

Championship talk will be a distant memory and rightly so.

I advocated for Silas hire, I was wrong.

But at least I figured it out sooner rather than later.

Silas is a great human being, but as a coach he leaves a lot to be desired.

The WORST in franchise history, and counting.

That's a franchise that has been around for more than half a century.

And there were many Rockets teams that had much WORSE talent and less depth than current team.

DeBeards likes this.
  11. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

i didn’t say coaches have no voice. They certainly have a role in preparing for an opponent but a lot of systems allow for free flowing offense and yes a lot of times players iso themselves or take it 1-1 etc. just like how QB’s audible in football. But again the main point I reiterate is players control their destiny not coaches not GM’s not owners. Players.

12. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Man rewatching the game makes me hate our play design even more. For the life of me I don’t know why we’re starting Theis and Tate. I love both guys and what they bring to a team but their lack of gravity negatively impacts our scorers. I wish they would scrap this attempting to play defense and just roll with wood at center and KJM at PF. Lean into the speed and athleticism of the team more. Play Wood as the single release valve. It’s not like Theis gets a ton of boards. He’ll I bet KJ would be a better rim deterrent at this point.

Accompanied with the lack of spacing is this weird movement for movement sake. For example every time down we run Jalen off double screens going away from the lead imitator and the basket. When he gets it he’s basically just in another ISO possession and waiting for another pick to reengage the offense. For the life of me I cannot understand what the point of that design is. Green uses it but isn’t in any kind of position to shoot or attack. He just basically swapped turns playing iso with KPJ while he goes to fill the weak side outlet pass. Why not space the floor have a 1-5 or hell a 1-3 pick since Tate is amazing as a decision maker on the flux and then let Green attack off a close out?

Zen Tabak, Dobbizzle, fryjol7 and 2 others like this.
  13. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I think he can be really good or serviceable with Harden or a legit All star dominant player. He’s no doubt a complimentary guy that needs playmakers to create and find him.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Better than he is being utilized.

Wood is not a franchise player but 5's that put up his numbers can be counted on 1 hand in the NBA.

Silas needs to use his resources better, put ALL his players in best positions to succeed.

He just has no clue how to do this, we can all agree to this at least.

15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Yes. Suns we’re 19-63 when Ayton and Bridges were rookies with a 5 year guard in Booker. Got a few vet pieces in 20-21 and made the finals. Let that sink in. Nothing is overnight.

16. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I wouldnt say no clue. I’m sure he’s making adjustments. There’s new pieces to this offense and Wood needs to figure it out. That’s on him. Sure there’s always room to improve in coaching to maximize your players putting them in right positions and situations to score yes I can agree with that. But to say coaches have no clue is a bit of an exaggeration. The opportunities are there for wood. He just hasn’t put himself in position to dominate instead he chooses to miss 50% of his FT, take long 2s and not get deep position in the paint. This all goes back to work ethic, desire, and mindset.

dmoneybangbang and HP3 like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

MDA system (and even Kerr system) does not let ANY player iso.

Silas empowers EVERY player to iso.

It's a bad system.

DeBeards and HP3 like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Silas has the best rebounder playing stretch 4, as far from basket as possible.

And a shitty rebounder and rim protector playing the 5 but loves to run out to the perimeter on defense.

That's stupid coaching.

BallaDoc likes this.
  19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I’m lost here. Do You mean Wood plays on the perimeter and theis likes to run out to guard opponent’s on the perimeter?

20. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Totally agree, seeing similar things. Our action develops, but our people seems to be missing the options or we are not running aggressive enough to get openings. Also, there is really low awareness on the decision making process, a lot of times our players pick up the dribble on the middle of the play. There is not a lot of confidence attacking the rim on the first intention, those seconds of hesitation really kill our flow and we end up on ISOs with a short clock

D-rock likes this.