1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We have to get rid of KPJ

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownfan_9210, Nov 7, 2021.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

It's encouraging how many fouls he's been drawing going at the rim. The finishing is very iffy but getting to the line and playing physical is very valuable.

2. sheb

sheb Member

Why are we trying to turn him into a PG?
    He’s better as a score first option

Bo6, CHAMPBOY, Ramo$e and 4 others like this.
  3. pass_to_Hakeem

I don’t think KPJ needs to be the running the point. Sure keep it this way for this year to land that too pick but next year if they are serious about Possibly making a push to a playoff spot, I just feel HKU needs a true 1. I feel Green & KPJ’s game would be even better with a true point guard.

Ramo$e and Plowman like this.
  4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

agreed. but Christopher, like KPJ, are new to the PG position just because the rockets don't have any. I think they're both best as secondary or tertiary ball handlers.

and I like wood, but he's good now. he's ready to contribute to winning now. by the time Jalen and sengun can contribute to winning wood will be on his decline on the wrong side of 30. the timeline's don't matchup.

its no guarantee that we land a top 2 pick even if we have the worst record again. we might not end up with a PF in the draft. and wood might be open to a team friendly extension. I'm not 100% sold on trading him before the draft. wait to see who we pick, see what extension talks look like, and if we pick a PF or are far apart on extension talks then trade him on draft night for another lotto pick.

1 thing I would've done was trade him this past draft for pick 7 or 9 and gone after Davion Mitchell who I think is a perfect fit next to Jalen.

xaos and Jontro like this.
  5. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Oh ye of little faith.

In 02-03 John Lucas was the head coach of the Cavs and he gave the ball to Ricky Davis, a maniacal, delusional chucker. And Ricky delivered the #1 pick to the Cavs, some guy named LeBron. And so I say unto you, KPJ is exactly what this team needs right now.

vator, airflights92, DaDakota and 3 others like this.
  6. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

Agreed. I'm just pointing out that he's not shooting the ball well. It IS his 3rd year and NBA IS hard. I'm not throwing the baby out with the bathwater, I still root for the guy obviously. Expectations are just high, and they're high because we think he's capable.

Ramo$e and Plowman like this.
  7. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

His personal life story.... you have to be a monster not to root for him. You want guys like this to succeed for sure

Williamson, Ramo$e, Squirtle and 3 others like this.
  8. Denovo

Denovo Member

I feel the same protectiveness toward KP. Like he’s a younger brother.

I refuse to give up on him this early. He’s too young and too talented.

Im adamant on starting him on the wing and simplifying the game for him. PG is the hardest position to learn at the NBA level. We need to make it easier for him to maximize his talent.

We can develop JC at point and/or draft one with Brooklyns pick this year.

Sonicbun8, Ramo$e and Plowman like this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is fine, he is getting better, 3 of those turnovers last night were fumbled passes by players not ready.

Larry Bird used to throw the ball at his teamates heads in practice - after the first couple of practices, nobody was moving without looking at where the ball was.......

KPJ needs to start tossing it at noggins.

DD

10. Denovo

Denovo Member

Green Tate and Theis have all struggled shooting.
    The whole starting line up needs to shoot better it’s not just KP.

Shooting can be improved he’s only 21. We’ve seen vets develop consistent jumpshots late in their careers.

Also we’re 1-10 the team as a whole is ineffective. Coaching staff included.

11. a time to chill

Good article about why Kevin Porter Jr isn't a good point guard.

https://spacecityscoop.com/posts/houston-rockets-kevin-porter-jr-point-guard

12. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They switched him to PG because he's a non-shooting shooting guard. Apparently, they thought his ability to develop PG skills was more likely than his ability to develop SG skills. I'm not blaming his poor shooting for the team's record. But he needs to take advantage of every opportunity to improve his game, or his not going to be in the league long enough to develop a jumpshot as a veteran. If it doesn't work here, he's not likely to be re-signed by the Rockets. At that point, he's going to be roster filler for other teams getting around 9 minutes a game. With this coaching staff, I'm not convinced that he will get where he needs to be, but he can't leave anything on the table.

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

a nice little midrange ala JC would do wonders for his game

14. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

I was informed of this just today by @Nook , didn't realize how ****ed up his life is/was.

wlekfjv923n and Nook like this.
  15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I looked up the data for this season and Porter hasn't shown any evidence in being above average at any specific play type like pick and roll ball handling, in isolation, in transition, etc. There's a glimmer of hope with spot up shooting where he's generating 1.35 points per possession but he only uses 1.5 possessions every game in that situation. Otherwise, transition (12th percentile), PnR ball handler (19th percentile), transition (12th percentile), isolation (25th) are meh. Of course this is also playing in a different role, with mostly new teammates, etc. so I'll have to dig up data from last year to see if he excelled in more of a scorer role

Nook likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

They moved him to point guard because he sees the floor really well and they believed they could possibly run an offense through him and he had the ability to guard point guards and cause mismatches. The problem is that he really hasn't played well this season and his efficiency is poor (and has been). He certainly has a high mental aptitude for the game and has a lot of talent but I am not sure that they keep up this experiment in the second half of this season unless he really starts to show something.

He has A LOT of baggage and doesn't have the reputation as the hardest worker or the easiest person to coach or get along with. At some point the Rockets will decide that they either want to win games or that he isn't worth the effort. Right now the Rockets are bad with or without him so they are willing to play the lottery with him. That won't last forever.

Squirtle and Easy like this.
  17. Denovo

Denovo Member

Do you have a source or reference for this?

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I agree with others here, he is a bench wing or bench slasher SG.

Might grow into a starter, but he is not a PG.

19. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Silas is the number one problem this team has. I’d really hate to give up on young talented players before we get an actual coach in here that has testicles/holds people accountable. I’ve never seen a less imposing presence on the sideline in 30+ years of watching sports. He’s not built to be a head coach.

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

God I knew that story was going to get bastardized.

Jalen, Alperen and Josh are REQUIRED to show up to those work outs. They are mandatory for them. They have zero choice. Because KPJ is in his 3rd year they are no longer mandatory for him. And yet he still does attend some of them according to John Lucas, just not all of them.

Squirtle, Ramo$e and Denovo like this.