1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paolo Banchero vs Chet Holmgren

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by MystikArkitect, Nov 9, 2021.

?

Chet "The Jet" Holmgren or Paolo "The Lambo" Banchero?

1. Holmgren

2. Banchero

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. futilman

futilman Member

Chet as a player is closer to KD than all the similarly built players that failed. Chet is also an anomaly.

2. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Chet all the way! We made the mistake of not taking Mobley because so many people thought he was "too skinny". Holmgreen is 7'0 with 7'6 wingspan! If we're going to suck, it better be because we have our eyes on this guy!

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Just beat me.

i3artow i3aller and J.R. like this.
  6. i3artow i3aller

Fun list.
    Wasn't really sure where else to put it.

Shark44, Fulgore and JamesC like this.
  7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The thing with Chet is that man does he seem to have crazy skill with that height and length. But at the same time you can’t be human and not be thinking “god damn that is a crazy skinny/gangly dude”.

I know they play UT soon (next maybe? This week I think) but not sure how good UTs bigs are this year … but I absolutely want to see Chet against its top 19/top 25 teams.

8. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

We draft Paolo then Christian be like...

:D:D:D

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  9. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

What about Emoni Bates,?

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m not sure Emoni will be draft eligible.

Either way, I think Chet and Paolo are a notch above him.

tmoney1101 and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Gonna be a #HolmgrenHombre for this one.

tmoney1101 and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Do you make a lot of money as an NBA scout/fortune teller?

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

10 games is enough to convince you skinny guys gonna dominate the NBA?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. MystikArkitect

Chet had 7 blocks his first game.

For reference the most Mobley had is 6. From the scouting reports, Chet is apparently Evan Mobley with a motor and better offense.

i3artow i3aller and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly the only knock on Chet is slight frame. He’s athletic, tough, long, has guard like handles, shooting, elite defense.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Indeed. Mike Schmidt from espn - who obviously is not always right but has become their refs to college bball scout guy - described him as the best defender prospect he’d ever seen.

despite his frame he bumps, he’s aggressive, he goes after it hard.

and offensively you just have to watch. He plays like a legit guard/wing…. AND a legit big.

so I need to see him against better completion (albeit he was still great in the U18 tourney they did)… and then most importantly I’d want as much confirmation he won’t get regularly injured as possible.

I think those aside he’s the best prospect for sure.

19. MystikArkitect

I think so too. I was all in for Banchero but Chet looks like a made up character. If he continues this level of play he would've gone #1 in this last draft and there would've been no discussion.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/11/10/nba-draft-notebook-paolo-banchero-duke-champions-classic

Paolo Banchero, PF, Duke | Freshman

Height: 6' 10" | Weight: 250 | Age: 18

Banchero opened the season as our projected No. 1 pick and did nothing to change my opinion in his debut against Kentucky, finishing with 22 points on 7-of-11 shooting, seven rebounds and two steals and setting the tone for the Blue Devils throughout. He turns 19 later this week, but was far and away the most polished player that took the floor in either of Tuesday night's games. There are simply not many players of Banchero's size who can do as many things as he can offensively: he can initiate offense with the ball in his hands, play as the handler or screen-setter in the two-man game, and operate comfortably at the elbows, the baseline and on the block. He’s a mismatch creator by nature, which will be exacerbated by the types of bigs he’ll face in college.

A certifiably unique prospect due to his various gifts, positionless mentality and combo of size and ball skills, Banchero profiles favorably in comparison to bigger-bodied playmaking bigs like Julius Randle at the same stage. It’s easy to see him evolving into a similar type of All-Star caliber forward, with a chance to be better than that due to his advanced skillset and the innate versatility he supplies. Banchero changes direction and handles the ball exceptionally well for someone his size, operating with some ambidexterity. A heavier-set player earlier in high school, he's clearly gotten in great shape and looked more athletic than advertised (certainly more than I remembered from watching him extensively at USA Basketball camp two summers ago). Despite not being an explosive leaper in tight spaces, he’s so fluid, coordinated and comfortable with the ball in his hands that he can facilitate offense in isolation when needed. Banchero asked out of the game early in the second half while battling cramps and wasn’t quite the same after returning, but carried Duke at various points in the game and was clearly prepared for the moment. His passing skills weren’t overtly on display in terms of assists, but there’s latent playmaking ability there that should manifest over the course of the season as he inevitably navigates double teams and junk defenses. While not a remarkable leaper, Banchero is also a willing and capable defensive rebounder.

It’s the job of NBA front offices to nitpick elements of Banchero’s game, and while he doesn’t have any pronounced holes at the college level, his defensive impact and three-point shooting are the key areas for improvement. He’s not a natural rim protector, and while he may be able to center small-ball lineups down the line, he doesn’t profile as a five defensively for long stretches. He’s smart enough to be a great team defender, but not an elite shot-blocking prospect in terms of his leaping and spatial coverage. Duke has made a point of having one of Mark Williams and Theo John on the court at all times to handle those defensive responsibilities. As far as the jumper was concerned, Banchero made several convincing mid-range shots and went 8-9 from the line, which is highly encouraging in terms of his eventual progression to NBA range. He did miss all three of his three-point attempts.

Overall it would have been hard to ask for more from Banchero on Tuesday night, and his performance in front of essentially every front office decision-maker in the NBA should strengthen his case as the No. 1 pick, with Gonzaga’s Chet Holmgren viewed as his primary competition. Personally, I comfortably lean Banchero in this debate right now. But it’s still close enough that it will require a bit of time to play out. It will be appointment viewing when the two of them play head-to-head Nov. 26. Safe to say, Banchero left an excellent impression to start the season.