1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experiment is Over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by atam, Oct 20, 2021.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

To make these matter of fact statements about a dude in his tenth game that has shown plenty of stretches of promise, not to be blunt....

But do you think you lack self-awareness here.

Joe Rocket and Dobbizzle like this.
  2. fchowd0311

It's really making me question if it's good for one's health to post here. Jesus Christ these posters have the patience of a toddler.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

why not both.gif

fchowd0311 likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Everyone was talking about 10 games but hey, folks were eager to hype him up after 15 regular season G League games.

I never heard about caution back then too.

Works both ways.

5. fchowd0311

There is a difference between being excited about potential and writing off someone's career after ten games into their 19 year old rookie campaign. How can you not see the difference?

Like if the over the top opinions here are just a petty knee jerk, that seems like a childish thing?

People are hyped about a number 2 pick. Oh jeez, someone call the hype police and make over the top statements the other way to create balance in the fandom force.

xaos likes this.
  6. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

Extremely. But clearly this thread is gonna be a thing every time he has a bad game.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I see no reason to over-protect him, I am not his dad.

Dude is 19 and a young adult, and he is a growing player that can handle criticism.

It is not his entire fault that the weight of the 2nd pick is weighing on him (he had his parts in it).

The Rockets were going to make him the face of the franchise.

I am just not getting why grown ass posters start coddling this little brat.

I think most of the comments here are not hurtful, true, there were some outlandish ones, but I do not think those are in the majority.

#967 daywalker02, Nov 8, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    GotGame15 and DaDakota like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Partly agreed but what's in it for you to go HAM and defend him like that, that is the interesting part.

On my part, I was never 100% against this draft choice, even if it should turn out to be a mistake.

GMs make mistakes, part of the job, move on.

9. fchowd0311

So now he's a brat because?

I don't know what this has to do with protecting him like a dad? Wth? Dude, like you have daddy issues or something to bring this up out of nowhere?

Dobbizzle likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is called a banter, breh. You are just being sensitive about everything today, I do not know you well enough as a poster to say what triggers you or not.

Stop protecting him like a child, 10 games should be enough to get a feeling of what he could do.

The real problem runs deeper, young prospects these days care way too much about highlight reels, triple doubles, numbers.

They forget about the fundamentals, playing consistent defense, all that what would make you ready for the league.

Real talk, some are more ready than others.

DaDakota likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

Hmmm didn't know you had experience with young prospects and their training regiments. You were like a AAU coach or something?

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I like you two both as posters....you are on the same team more often than not.

DD

#972 DaDakota, Nov 8, 2021
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Thing is nowadays you do not need to be working in that field to go and get an idea of what works and what does not.

It is a hobby for me to analyze sports, actually began with soccer.

If you work for one team, you tend to cater to the needs of just that team, but if you cast a wider net, you could follow more players.

I had a funny observation that players like Theis and Tate are rounding into midseason form but both are already developed.

#973 daywalker02, Nov 8, 2021
  14. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I know right! Can you believe there were people labelling him a superstar and franchise altering player before he even got on the court haha.

Agreed! They're so dramatic!

tycoonchip likes this.
  15. Downtown Sniper

Well this just takes into account those few times he gets the ball up at the ring.

Convenient cherry picky stats in the tweet. I wonder what his drive to turnover ratio is.

16. Downtown Sniper

Just like those knee jerkers are quick to highlight when he has a good game as if it proves he's a superstar.

Alas, they haven't had many opportunities to spit that rubbish once the games have started.

17. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Its not about being patient. Its about being right. Some picked Mobley and they really just want to be right so they can look smart. People on here are petty. Some on here want to divert attention from their favorite player playing like **** (KPJ).

#977 Joe Rocket, Nov 8, 2021
    Dobbizzle likes this.
  18. Downtown Sniper

Honestly, no they aren't. I've yet to see evidence of that.

When you're being defended by a single defender, that's not an entire defense activiely trying to shut you down.

My goodness.

Getting double teamed at half court is actively trying to shut someone down.

Green is closer to getting the Ben Simmons treatment than he is the James Harden treatment from a defense.

palmsnbananas and Williamson like this.
  19. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Well because rookies dont usually drop 30 in their third game in the NBA at 19 (without freethrows). It just doesnt happen often. What does happen often is rookies struggling. So its not really overrating when you see someone doing something thats rarely done in the NBA so early for rookies and say "wow he's a future star". What you do is look at what they do well and whats not working and say to yourself will that be fixed in 2 or three years? His shooting can absolutely be improved in the next 2 or three years.

Also let me just say we are all fans of the Rockets on this team or atleast we are supposed to be. Why on earth would you not be excited for what Green and Al P can become when they show flashes. The reverse is expecting a 19 year old to be a superstar right away its just stupid. Data backs what the people who support Green are saying not the haters. Our biggest concern should be people in their 3rd year or more looking like they have regressed i.e. KPJ and Wood.

#979 Joe Rocket, Nov 8, 2021
  20. Downtown Sniper

I'm not excited about Green because I do not believe he will be an all-star player, it is plain and simple. It is my opinion. Just like people have their opinion that he's a superstar before he played an NBA game. I never understood the hype pre-draft when I saw his G-League highlights (just like I never understood the Suggs hype) and i'm perplexed there are so many people shocked by how bad he has been.

What I do expect from someone who was touted as a franchise altering player, and a player who talked a bunch of trash after the draft....... is to have at least mastered the fundamentals.

So far from Green the positives to his game are:

- he can jump high
    - he has nice vision on some of his drives
    - he is good in transition

I expect much, much more than that from a number 2 overall pick. Especially when that pick talked the talk.

That's why I'm not excited about Green.

Heck. Stromile Swift had all the athleticism in the world. People fawned over him expecting the world. Yes I know different positions and age. Yet it was Stromile's athleticism that have people giddey (pun intended), much the same as Green's athleticism has people giddey.

I don't understand this superstar talk.

I don't understand this flashes of amazing talk.

I see an athletic guard who can't shoot (and one who needs to completely re-invent his shooting stroke), can't dribble, and can't harness his best weapon.

Also, he is making enough clips to start one of those youtube highlight videos of his shocking off ball defense.

I AM excited about Api though. Because that is a 19 year old who has mastered the fundamentals. Who has a high basketball IQ. Who hustles his ass off when he is out there. That's someone I am excited to see grow. (it is a whole other question though whether I'm confident he grows on the Rockets or they completely fumble his development because they're so invested in trying to make Green happen. Insert Mean Girls quote here.)

How many athletic freaks of nature don't pan out in the NBA?

You do not tank an entire season to get the #2 pick, just to draft a player who is two years away from being two years away from being a rotation player.