1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Elienator

Elienator Member

They are almost certainly better than saying Correa is better than Lindor, so he should get 10/350.

Anyway, if the 6 / 210 talks are real, that’s arguably a more compelling offer than 8 / 240 (the median estimate on Fangraphs).

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. Landry's Tooth

That's fine, those guys will get that money from other teams and we can play minor leaguers or sign journeyman....

You might be passing on those dollars but they will get them... Baez already turned down 180....

Not a fan or Marte or Taylor for big money.. i think Bryant is reasonable but i prefer a Shortstop to replace a shortstop so we don't rely on Bregman there..

4. Landry's Tooth

Btw, if you're not including Garcia, why would they take our inferior prospects?

There are other teams out there we would be bidding against...

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

1. Carlos Correa. Ten years, $320MM.

Tim Dierkes: Tigers / Steve Adams: Phillies / Anthony Franco: Tigers

8. Trevor Story. Six years, $126MM.

TD: Phillies / SA: Rangers / AF: Astros

17. Raisel Iglesias. Four years, $56MM.

TD: Dodgers / SA: Astros / AF: Blue Jays

18. Carlos Rodon. One year, $25MM.

TD: Astros / SA: Red Sox / AF: Angels

23. Justin Verlander. Two years, $40MM.

TD: Giants / SA: Giants / AF: Braves

28. Kendall Graveman. Three years, $27MM.

TD: Astros / SA: Royals / AF: Dodgers

40. Zack Greinke. One year, $15MM.

TD: Nationals / SA: Cardinals / AF: Red Sox

6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I'll take Graveman for 3 years 27 million

Iglesias getting a qualifying offer has me way less interested in him.

7. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Yes please

8. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I’m not giving up five years of Luis Garcia for two years of Luis Castillo. Garcia is almost as good, and he’s barely scratched the surface of what he can become. Then, you wanted to add in another top 30 prospect in Jeremy Pena. Your offer is way too much for the Astros to give up for him. If someone else wants to overpay, so be it. If your offer was one of them and a lower-level prospect, I’d consider it, but both is a hard pass.

Luis Castillo isn’t Max Scherzer. He was awful in the first half and figured things out midseason.

AznH-TownFan and Snake Diggit like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

FWIW .... what I am hearing....

The Astros have shown more interest in top of the rotation type pitchers than bats, when it comes to the trade market.

Astros, Giants and Braves all very aggressive in trade talks.

Astros and Giants are among a number of teams interested in Castillo with the Reds. Astros also have interest in Verlander (obviously) and a number of younger pitchers on the Marlins.

The Astros also have had conversations with the Cleveland Indians about starting pitching, but the Indians want a lot in return. Still, they have talked a number of times.

Astros are willing to radically change their outfield if it can net them starting pitching, and address the outfield situation via free agency.

Astros tend to think that the market will NOT be as bullish on player contracts as some think.

10. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I know MLB Trade rumors has legitimate news stories and I follow them, but definitely take these predictions with a grain of salt. I looked back at the article they posted last year and they were not right on very many. They got Trevor Bauer right but very few others in the top 30. They did get close on some of the numbers further down the list, and they did get some obvious ones right (Yadier Molina) but predicting the market and where players are going is pretty much a crap shoot. It is nothing against the MLBTR guys its just that you could probably do an old school mash paper (yes I am dating myself here) and get similar results.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/11/mlb-free-agent-predictions-2021.html

everyday eddie, The Beard and J.R. like this.
  11. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Bregman isn’t playing shortstop next season unless both Aledmys Diaz and Jeremy Pena get hurt. The last thing the Astros are going to do if they lose Correa is shift him there with his hamstring and quad injuries the last two seasons. That idea needs to die.

I also don’t care that Baez turned down 180M. I’d rather sign Correa for 7 or 8 years, or move on cheaper options like Chris Taylor at say 4 for 72 or 5 for 90 or Marte at 2 for 40 or 3 for 60 (team option on year 3 since he’s 33) than give Baez 168M over 6 years. Taylor can play 2B/SS/3B and all three outfield positions. Bryant can play 1B/3B/all three outfield spots, though he’s better in the corners. Marte is a big upgrade on Meyers/McCormick.

I like Taylor or Bryant the most because of their versatility. That enables the Astros to be flexible moving forward from a position player standpoint.

12. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

You don't trade a guy like Garcia for TWO years of Castillo, that's a recipe to be really terrible not too long from now. No team would make that kind of deal. Not even the angels who are terrible run, but do their best to stay away from good pitching

Pena will likely be a top 40 prospect when the new lists start coming out. Very very unlikely you are moving him unless you already have Correa, or another of the free agent SS's signed long term

If we go after Castillo it would likely be headlined by Hunter Brown and some of the other prospect arms

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  13. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Taylor turned down the QO. He is good, but i'm not giving him 80-90 million PLUS giving up a top pick for him

DVauthrin likes this.
  14. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

If I want a big bat other than Correa, I want Kris Bryant. Give you position versatility at 3B/1B/LF/RF and CF in a pinch, solid defense, and gives .850 OPS or better.

15. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

u had me curious so I have to googled her up. Hard pass. LOL

Htown Legend likes this.
  16. Marteen

Marteen Member

Appreciate it, Nook. And IF they move Brantley, this is the guy to go after at the LF position, imo.

Him and Yordan mashing would be fun to watch.

Htown Legend, whiskeyred and Nook like this.
  17. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

SS needs to be decided because without Pena available to trade for a starter I'm not sure we can match what other teams with a bunch of top 100 prospects can offer. Alcantara would be my dream trade but no idea what that would cost.

After seeing the qualifying offers and some contract predictions I could see something like this happening....

Trade Michael Brantley, Jake Odorizzi, and Jason Castro. If you can get a major league player (bullpen arm) in return on any of those guys great. If not prospects would be fine. You are freeing up possibly 34 million by dumping those guys depending on what incentives Odorizzi ends up reaching next season.

Trade for:
    Wilson Contreras. (arb estimate is 8.7 million)

Free agent signings:
    Kendall Gravemen 3 years 30 million
    Kris Bryant 6 years 150 million
    Justin Verlander 2 years 40 million
    Freddie Galvis 1 year 4 million

Bryant starts in LF next year. He moves to 1B whenever Yuli is done. Maybe in 2023 or 2024. Bryant can also move around depending on injuries/rest.

Lineup:
    Altuve 2B
    Tucker RF
    Bryant LF
    Alvarez DH
    Bregman 3B
    Yuli 1B
    Contreras C
    Meyers CF
    Pena SS

Bench: Maldonado, Galvis, Diaz, McCormick/Siri

Rotation:
    Verlander, McCullers, Framber, Garica, Urquidy/Javier, Brown, Solomon, France, Ivey, Whitley, etc.

Bullpen:
    Pressly, Graveman, Stanek, Maton, Baez, Javier/Urquidy, Montero, Taylor/James/Scrubb/Paredes/Dubin/Abreu/Bielak

18. Landry's Tooth

Pena missed time last year and would be blocked in my scenario. He's about the 8th best ss prospect they could get for Castillo. He's not Austin Martin and Castillo isn't Berrios.

I don't dislike Garcia, but it's a win now move and we don't know if we can rely on him due to lack of track record...

19. Nook

Nook Member

I would be happy with that outcome, but from talking to Kirby they don't seem overly concerned with waiting on the shortstop situation. All I can guess is that they know they know their plans for Pena regardless (i.e. he is being traded or kept no matter what) of what happens at SS, or they are confident that they can add a starting pitcher without losing Pena.

I do find it interesting that we are as involved in the trade market as we apparently are. The Giants are competing for a lot of the same players the Astros are.

whiskeyred likes this.
  20. Major

Major Member

Bryant has had an OPS over 0.850 just once in the last 4 years and that was in 2019.