1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 7, 2020.

1. HTown2017Champs

Grae Kessinger delivers a 2 RBI triple for Glendale in the Fall League.

Also, under the radar: Joe Record has allowed 0 runs, 1 hit, and only 3 BB and K'd 9 in 9.2 IP (7 games so far), while also recording a save.

Marteen likes this.
  2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Record should start next season as the Astros final middle releaver or as Sugar Lands closer.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Wow I didn’t know Sierra and Tejada were already eligible for free agency. Bummer. I would expect both of them (along with Hinojosa, Garcia, and Ferrell) to latch on to another teams AAA roster.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

About 5 years ago if you would have bet me on Miguelangel Sierra having exactly zero success above rookie ball I would have lost a lot of money.

They promoted him to AAA after the Covid break, but he hasn't really earned a single promotion since he left Greeneville.

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I saw him play 3 times this year and he looked really good. He is a very good athlete with a good arm and quickness in the field, and he hits the ball hard, showing easy double digit HR power with potential for a lot more if he didn’t swing and miss so much. The strikeouts were his undoing but it would not shock me if he latched on with another team and has a AAAA career like Robel Garcia. But I agree he definitely didn’t match the hype after his signing bonus and power show in tricity.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I can remember when some people thought there was a chance Riley Ferrell could be a September call up in the year he was drafted because he was so MLB ready.

Nook, awc713, JeeberD and 2 others like this.
  9. HTown2017Champs

Joe Record pitched 2 more innings today. Gave up 2 hits, struck out 4, didn't walk anybody, and continues to be scoreless.
    Grae Kessinger went 1-4 with a single and a K.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Drafting a college reliever to be a MLB reliever should not include a long minor league stint.

sealclubber1016 likes this.
  11. juicystream

Huston Street is the one guy I can think of that really accomplished that and had a very successful career. The other guys I can think of were starters (as most draftees are) that were moved to the bullpen mostly to limit innings.

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

In hindsight, his walk rate his last year at TCU should have been a bigger red flag than was given credit. Still striking out 53 guys in 31 innings at the highest level of college competition is hard to ignore.

He was basically coming from A ball when we drafted him.

13. juicystream

He very well may have made it anyway if it wasn't for shoulder problems. Shoulders de-rail so many pitcher careers.

14. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Pena is The Chosen One.

No Worries likes this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not saying it is frequent, but the payoff of a reliever isn't big. Using a high 3rd round pick on a reliever without starter upside implies low risk (i.e.-almost MLB Ready).

16. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Ryan Wagner from UH comes to mind as someone that went straight from college as a closer to the Big Leagues. Nasty slider but career was cutshort I believe to injuries

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Record and Korey Lee made the all-star team. Record has shown really well in the AFL and will be one to watch in Sugar Land’s bullpen next season. I had no idea he was throwing high 90s stuff, crazy that he was just let go in the minor league rule 5.

raining threes likes this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Like 2 days after I posted this comment someone went in and edited Prieto’s wiki page to remove the Astros reference. Strange that it was updated to the Astros in the first place and even more strange that it was changed back so quickly after I saw it.

raining threes likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-2021-minor-league-report

Excerpts below.

Tamarez, the Astros’ No. 26 prospect, reached 98 mph with his fastball this year and eats up right-handed hitters with his slider, which he throws as hard as 87 mph, though he can be wild at times.

Melendez
    He’s added about 5 mph to his fastball since signing and now sits at 92-95 mph with a pair of solid breaking balls, an 83-85 slider and a 78-80 curveball. He's only 5-foot-8, so he could profile more as a reliever as he advances through the system.