1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The Jalen Green Experiment is Over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by atam, Oct 20, 2021.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

@Denovo
    Probably, but my statement is true none the less.

Showed video proof of it to back it up.

2. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Would read again.

3. NewAge

NewAge Member

:) so others also had noticed certain gland deficiencies…

Seriously, I agree, I like Jalen’s play last few games, especially the free throws. He plays a bit looser.
    Still not sold on his "top dog” potential, but am not excluding it. With some you know right away, others take awhile…
    I’d say the last few games have reduced the “bust" probability, at least for my estimate.

If I have to put guesstimate numbers, I’d say:
    10% total bust (hasheem/darko level)
    35% NBA solid rotation player (Evan Turner level)
    35% All-Star (Dipo level.. or LaVine if you wish)
    20% Top Dog (Ja/KD level)…normally, I’d like to see more testicular growth for that scenario…

bmelo likes this.
  4. HardenVolumeOne

since when are ja morant and Durant on the same level

5. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

JG is already scoring more this year than Evan Turner did in his best scoring year. Bit is obviously a worse defender at this time. I think anything higher than 10% for this category is laughable

6. Bigearz

Bigearz 713only
    Supporting Member

Coach
    Please put Shengin back in quickly so he can help us get a lead back

The team looks completely different when he is in the game
    What a wonderful move up to get this kid

harold bingo likes this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Green has been ok this season, not amazing but not a bust or terrible either. If you look at videos of top rookies in the NBA so far in youtube his name is almost always in there, albeit on the bottom of the lists.

He isnt Jalen Siggs or Cunningham bad. I'm def a little disappointed that he's playing a lot worse than I expected given his performance in GLeague but at the same time lots of scoring guards struggle at the start of their career. James Harden for example ended his rookie year on 9 ppg at 40% fg, not exactly stellar numbers.

8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Evan Turner never played defense

9. T for 3

T for 3 Member

The title of this thread should be changed to: "The Kevin Porter Jr. Experiment is Over".

amaru likes this.
  10. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

My memory is that he was a versatile and rangy defender in his athletic prime but I'm certainly no Evan Turner expert

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Jalen Green creates more speration on a single stepback than Harden does in his double stepback.

12. amaru

amaru Member

Now he needs to focus on converting it.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You should tell him that just in case. Maybe it could really change things.

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Fair enough.

I remember him as a bum.

Either he or his teammate Allen Crabbe said, "Defense? Offense gets you paid."

15. bmelo

bmelo Member

Since Ja Morant is mvp conversation as 21 Yo he has to be reffered as top dog potential. Dude reminds me of more poisoned DRose

NewAge likes this.
  16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The difference between “wow he’s going to be AMAZING!” and “he should still be really good but dang needs more work than I hoped…”

is 2 more made shots a game and 10 pounds of bulk. If he made one 2 and one 3 more per game on his current shot attempts he’d be averaging 19 a game, shooting 43% from three and 56% from two. Instead he’s shooting 30% from three and 43% from two.

the difference is pretty astonishing really.

That said … I’m not sold on when that will happen. We’re past the point of jitters. It’s unclear why he is so “off”. Yes, he has always been a streaky shooter… but from the same distances with similar looks in the g league and summer league his three % was much better. Jitters, mentality, Silas/coaching, pairing with KPJ, new ball (lol)….

the positive is, which we’ve all beaten like a dead horse, he does look fairly decent in other aspects. He’s bullied like crap on defense but isn’t totally lost out there. He seems capable of playmaking at times. Etc. and he’s very very very young. His offseason practice ideas should be very clear.

but overall not sure how one can give Jalen anything better than say a C so far. Not only have the Mobley Mob been clearly right so far … Scottie seems to be the standout rookie (I was not one of the ones that thought the raptors crazy for making that pick… but definitely didn’t think maybe Scottie should go 1 or 2!).

9 games does not make an NBA career… but obviously we all wanted Green to come in and at least relatively quickly be a Morant impact like player (I love Ja Morant btw lol). He’s clearly clearly clearly clearly not there. Ja was relatively amazing off the bat.

there’s still plenty of hope! Kobe wasn’t “good” well into his first and even early second year. Trae Young shot under 20% from three his entire month of November his rookie year. Steph scored under 10 a game much of his first coulee months. Etc. etc.

BUT… these guys were contributing in other ways at a higher level and you could “see” the future in a way that one is increasingly questioning on Jalen.

again, don’t get me wrong. I’m still Green Gang (lol… I was never all about those dumb names, I wanted to trade Wood and get both Green and Mobley but was certainly Green over Mobley)… those two extra shots wound make it stat wise look crazy different….

But one thing i HAVE to see is gradual improvement as the season goes on (ala Edward’s last year). So that means making those extra shots. Making an extra play a game. Reducing a turnover a game. More situational awareness defensively(not much he can do about the bulk thing). Without that improvement he can STILL take the offseason to grow and mature and come back MUCH better next year… but the excitement then will be just as much about Senguns year 2 and whomever they draft in this upcoming draft where they’ll have a super high pick.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This team needs Pops or one of his disciples in the worst way.

Someone who knows fundamentals and someone who can get the best out of those international players.

Get back to grit and grind, basic, turn over less basketball.

And of course last but not least, screw Tilman!

18. fchowd0311

Im sorry what exactly was Kobe contributing at 19 that was "more"? He was a inefficient 19 year old chucker at 19 and that was his second season with one year of NBa experience.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I basically said that….?

amaru likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

Okay maybe I'm misunderstanding you here?