1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood bringing the ball up is counter intuitive to our team's strength

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by flamingdts, Nov 5, 2021.

1. T for 3

T for 3 Member

This is my old, tried and true Wood take and it still applies: He's just not that good.

aaquaa likes this.
  2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Wood's passing is horrendous, maybe it's better if he doesn't pass and just force it at the rim. Maybe he will get a foul, or grab is own rebound on his miss.

I don't mind him dribbling it down, as long as it dives into the rim, I feel like it's better offense than him trying to post up in the low post.

How many times have I seen him throw it into no man's land

Ghost5Horse6 likes this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Just needs to lose a playoff series so he can understand the bigger picture. Development is going great imo, will be peak value when he has a healthy season.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

THIS

Hank McDowell likes this.
  5. Juxtaposed Jolt

You want a team to lose in the playoffs just to teach one singular player, a lesson.

This is peak CF pettiness.

Emtenndo and Dobbizzle like this.
  6. bmelo

bmelo Member

When 1.5 a year ago(when we thought we will compete for championship) i posted he is a fools gold i got bamboozed here for saying that. He has hof scorer playstyle and allstar abilities I mean he can play but him trying to be 30/12/5 guy would hurt any team thats better than current Rockets. If he knew how to play 2/3rd fiddle he would be exceptional but he stuck in his ways for now.

To be fair he never had anybody to learn being second fiddle to because of bs that Harden pulled

For now as we agreed we tanking im not mad go and get your own CWood spam all you want to get paid

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Glory holes don't matter whether it's black or white.

aaquaa and Salvy like this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

what's hilarious is a year ago, every single one of these guys that cf's so adamantly believed in, was good enough for someone to play with to win a title. Now look at the energy. Every single one of them now pretty much sucks LOL classic

9. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

In all honesty most of our guys aren't great at bringing the ball up. I would like to see more of Jalen handling on the break with Porter looking for the cut, I think they work better together in that direction with Jalen setting up KP right now and KP finishes better in traffic. Once the game slows down for Sengun and he can make faster decisions, if he can get the board and then make bigtime outlet passes that could be a huge threat with our young athletic wings. In all honesty though, I just can't criticise Wood for this failing, Augustin (when he remembers he's a vet) and EG are the only players on our roster I feel confident in bringing the ball up for us on a consistent basis right now.

10. Salvy

Salvy Member

So, if Wood is our black hole.... Sengun our white hole... Who is our glory hole?

Invisible Fan likes this.
  11. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

It helps out opposing team's transition points average tho... All they do is get in the passing lanes because he either gets stuck or does that slow ass Eurostep directly into someone's chin..

12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I want that guy from Happy Gilmore to show up to his next practice and do the bit...

"You will not make this free throw....JACKASS!!!"

Until his ego is gone. Then he will pass the ball and stop crying for fouls so much.

He's part of the 40-50-90 club.

40% from 3
    50% from free
    and he weighs 90lbs!

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

No, I don't. Just saying what he needs in order to be motivated to lose bad habits, and then what he needs to hit peak value.

Every GM will point to the fact that he has 0 healthy seasons on his resume. We need to change that first this season. Hopefully we extend him 1 or 2 years if he agrees. He will peak closer to 28/29 imo, his body type will do well late in career.

14. hongxingli

hongxingli Contributing Member

he is afraid that the ball won't be back in his hands, just like young kids hold their candies:D

15. hongxingli

hongxingli Contributing Member

Seriously this is easy one to fix, we even can design our offense to avoid to have him passing the ball. I think in long term, his attitude (sometimes he becomes too passive when things are not going his way) and his free throw form could be problems.

16. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

have to say, till now, silas null system makes wood's game look 'selfish', disconnected, ugly...(im missing so much the wood-olynyk front court)
    as for the 'selfishness', the bad thing is, wood is now desperately putting up big numbers night in night out, amof, those 'beautiful numbers' does nothing good to our offense on the contrary most of them coming from iso balls, through less passes, resulting in hiatuses of ball movement;
    the good thing is, the 'selfishness' prevents his value from plunging, even giving some inflationary look, which might be good for stone using wood's contract as trade bait, both wood n gordon are our valuable trade assets could bring us coveted FRPs.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah I can’t help but be annoyed when I see Silas stroking his ego letting him bring the ball like he’s Pippen or Lebron. It serves no purpose of pushing the pace like Barkley or TWolves Kevin Love would do when they’d push the ball off of a rebound. It actually lets the defense set more when he dribbles instead of pushing the ball up the court.

We all know through reporting Wood has been seen as a very immature personality. I still have no problem keeping and trying to further develop him, but the dribbling thing is a sign of a weakness that Silas could have on the bench. Good coaches can get good things out of immature players ala Spolstra and Whiteside. A good coach with Christian Wood has him in pick and rolls imo. Not allowing him to think he’s Scottie Pippen.

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I still think his skillset is a sublime fit with a prime Harden.

19. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

What do we need more FRPs for exactly? We already have loads and loads of youngsters we're already trying to develop. We do need some players over 25 on the roster. The obsession some people have with picks is crazy, as if picks are an instant fix.

20. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

This is biggest issue I see is his lack of post up game. If he would just pass out when he's covered he would be so much more efficient versus forcing it up and doing his best EG impression (like he was fouled).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]