1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#WHERE'STHEBIGSTONE

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, Nov 5, 2021.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

This has been going a consistent problem with the Rockets since Morey was GM and it needs to be addressed!

I'm tired of losing games because we are too small in the frontcourt. Why are we the only NBA team with 6'4 - 6'8 PFs and Centers? Remember CHUCK HAYES and Joey Dorsey? I love Sengun but if he try and lay the ball up one more damn time, rather than dunk it, I'm going to EXPLODE!

Our frontcourt needs to be addressed

#WHERE'STHEBIGSTONE

varughese.arun likes this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

On the one hand they played Wood and Sengun together quite a bit last night, but Wood is Charmin soft and Javale McGee ate their souls.

We also have Daniel "his shot never goes over the front of the rim" Theis!

And we traded Jarett Allen for Dante Exum and a future pick.... so there's that?

But all nonsense aside, I'd be far more concerned about this if we weren't trying to lose games.

HakeemOnlyFan, slothy420 and Jontro like this.
  3. vick

vick Member

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the small ball experiment is over

also the Rockets Lack A True Big!!!

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. xaos

xaos Member

Although I agree we will need to get a big, we don't need to get our big of the future this season

6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

To me at this stage, it's more than wins and losses....it's about Roster Construction for the future. Morey did the same thing, thus we never could get pass the Warriors!

You got to have size and the Rockets yr in and yr out continue to orchestrate roster that are too short for their position.

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm confused....you complain about the team having only 6'4-6'8 centers but yearn for the days of 6'6" Chuck Hayes and 6'8 Joey Dorsey, who only played like 80 games for the Rockets?

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

Sengun is not that athletic…newsflash, he won’t be dunking everything in sight

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Going with a traditional big would run counter to the team's strengths. Sengun and Wood are fine being the "bigs" in most games.

10. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Different GM different team situation now than when Morey was here. This is a rebuild people, you will have to give it time. We have a lot of picks to change the roster over the next few years. Stop trying to fix EVERYTHING right now after 7 games his season. And let the young bigs we have develop a little bit so we can see what we really have so then we know what we need later..

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

rox getting their big in the 2022 draft

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Sengun will be fine as a big as he adds strength to his upper torso. He has really strong legs and is built to be able to add muscle in the off-season. He needs to get deadly from the 3 pt line in order to meet his potential on offense. I’m betting he will spend the off-season in growing stronger and shooting 3 pointers.

13. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

It's not all about height man, the Chuckwagon was a beast, Charles Barkley is one of the best 'bigs' of all time.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh for sure, it's easy to forget that he's just 19 years old given how advanced his game is in some ways.

Zen Tabak and CarlosGM like this.
  15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Lol. I think you've misread what I said. I used those two as examples of what we use to have and I'm tired of.

varughese.arun and burlesk like this.
  16. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Chuck was good during the season but during the playoffs he became less effective. The better teams were bigger teams simply went over the top. Size wins in the Playoffs.

Barkley was the exception but if you notice, he always played next to a true center; Moses Malone, Rick Mahorn, Greg Kite, Oliver Miller, etc.

Tomstro likes this.
  17. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Laying the ball up in the NBA will not cut it! Remember 7'6 Yao Ming? I use to be at games and the crowd would cringe and complain when he would lay the ball up and miss layups.....DUNK THE DAMN BALL!

red5rocket likes this.
  18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I like Sengun and I'm hoping he gets bigger and stronger, which I'm sure he will but to win long term, the Rockets need a versitale 6'11, 250+ lbs player next to Wood....Olynyk was good but he didn't play defense. I would love Myles Turner or a similar player

Garuba is 6'8"
    Sengun is 6'9"
    Theis is 6'8"

#WHERE'STHEBIGSTONE

#18 hlmbasketball, Nov 5, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

Sengun isn’t 7’6, and he isn’t that athletic…

yet you’re expecting him to be Deandre Jordan at the rim…

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is a reason why only guys like Shaq or Giannis dunk the ball almost every time.

It is mental and a freak of nature body type helps.

The Dream would fade away or lay it up too a lot, I did not see many ppl complaining about that.

That is why finesse ball and dunking do not go that well hand in hand, finesse means go the extra mile to get those points.

Tfor3 likes this.