1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Pringles

Pringles Member

It's part of baseball, so I'm trying to figure out if our slumps were not out of the ordinary and we should not be concerned?

I just can't tell how much of my bias is affecting my judgement.

Stephen66 likes this.
  2. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Yah I don't know what causes it, but I knew it would show up in the playoffs and we'd be done. I followed nearly every game this year.

rockbox, Tomstro and gfab-babyboi like this.
  3. ktex

ktex Member

Same here, I felt the same way. I wonder if anyone could do a comparison of slumps to see if 2021 was substantially worse than 2019 or 17. I'm guessing it was.

Stephen66 likes this.
  4. awc713

awc713 Member

Can Jose Ramirez play SS? If we lose Correa he may be an interesting addition, just not sure if he and Bregs makes sense on the left side. I would prefer to not totally rehaul the team…but if the price is right, he could be one helluva addition to our lineup, and would mitigate the need to improve at C/CF.

Squirtle likes this.
  5. Radricky

Radricky Member

This team needs another power threat.
    I'm talking a 30-40 Homer type of dude.
    If we lose Correa I really hope we don't try to replace his production with a rookie.

6. Marteen

Marteen Member

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Boob Nightengale…

8. Mattician

Mattician Member

Cool. Glad Yuli will be back.

So it looks like we could see new faces at SS and potentially CF? For position players that is.

9. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yuli has lost power but hits for avg.
    I would love a high avg person to replace CC
    And a power hitting CF … the Astros really let a guy hitting under .200 kill them with HRs … it was like getting beat by Draymond hitting 3’s

10. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Losing Correa makes me think we need more pop at the corner infield positions. Bregmans not the same guy anymore and yuli will be 38. Yuli only had 46 extra base hits this year. We need another power bat. I like having Yuli back but we need another thumper in the lineup.

11. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Strom begin gone really concerns me. Will suck even worse if h decides he doesn't wan to retire and goes and works for the yankees or dodgers. That would BLOW

12. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

i think it was too. We won 95 games, which is great. However, I think our run differential says that we should’ve won 7-8 more than that. Its weird. Like I’ve said before, it’s easy to defend this offense by pointing to the numbers. Yet If you’ve watched closely all season, and choose to only look at the numbers, I think you’re being obtuse. Lots of games where the bats went cold and lots of runners stranded in close games too.

ktex likes this.
  13. HTown2017Champs

May sound a bit weird, but, Paul DeJong? Hit 19 HR in limited at bats with the Cardinals, which prorates to 31 if he got the same number of at bats as Carlos did. He also fills the hole at SS. Sure, his arm isn't the rocket that Correa's is, but he's a good fielder who moves well. Also, I'd like to think that his power would go up more with half his games in Houston, especially with him being the pull side fly ball hitter he is. I expect the Cardinals to move on from him after his benching, but the talent is there and he's a bounce back candidate after a change of scenery. His contract is also manageable. He's owed $15.3M/2 yrs with 2 option years, but, only counts $4.3M against the luxury tax during the guaranteed years due to the structure of his deal, per Spotrac.
    I can easily see him having a .250/35 HR season with a change of scenery, good lineup protection, and the Crawford Boxes.

We can also trade Odorizzi to the Cardinals in this hypothetical. After Waino and Flaherty, they have HUGE question marks at the back end of their rotation, and Jake can be a stable #4/5 starter (something they could have used last year). Assuming Dusty stays, as expected, I can see Odo being traded since there seems to be bad blood.

tierre_brown and Radricky like this.
  14. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Sorry. I like LMJ. But he is glass. He will NEVER be a machine.

Squirtle, jklb and Tomstro like this.
  15. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

yuli hasn’t lost too much power, he had a fluke 2019.

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Who's the favorite to sign Correa. I've been predicting NYY all year because Gleyber is a disaster and Yankees have always been willing to commit for good infielders.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

My feelings are hard to sort out. I should feel pretty good. We got to the World Series! The offense had a banner year. The bullpen, ultimately, was better than many thought. We beat two very good teams to get there. Yuli won the batting title. But I don't feel very good at all.

I suppose I am trying to hide from myself this feeling that this is the end of their peak. They will still be very good for another 3-4 years. But I feel them slipping off the mountain instead of climbing it. Strom is part of it. So is the talent lost to free agency. Bregman and Altuve regression soon? Already?

Despite the above, there are good reasons to be optimistic. I am just having a hard time convincing myself that they matter. World Series hangover I suppose. Bright and shiny next week? Probably not . Probably not for a while if there is a work stoppage.

18. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Just for fun predictions:

Astros trade Jake Meyers, Bryan Abreu, Tyler Ivey and Forrest Whitley for Byron Buxton, Taylor Rogers, and Tyler Duffey(Bellaire HS/Rice Product)

Astros trade Hunter Brown, Pedro Leon, Peter Solomon, and Yainer Diaz for Luis Castillo and Amir Garrett

Astros trade Jake Odorizzi for a mid tier and a lower level prospect

Sign SS Trevor Story to a 4 year 100 million dollar deal with the understanding that he possibly will take over in LF once Brantley’s contract expires after the 2022 season, paving the way for Jeremy Pena.

Resulting Lineup:

CF- Buxton
    LF- Brantley
    2B- Altuve
    DH- Alvarez
    3B- Bregman
    RF- Tucker
    SS- Story
    1B- Yuli
    C- Maldy

Starting pitchers:
    Castillo
    McCullers
    Framber
    Garcia
    Urquidy

Bullpen:

Javier
    Maton
    Garrett
    Stanek
    Taylor
    Rogers
    Duffey
    Pressly

Bench

Castro
    Diaz
    McCormick
    Siri

-Having our draft picks back moving forward and a couple more splashes in the intl. FA market allow Click to make some bold moves.
    - Acquiring an ace caliber SP while solidifying the back end of the bullpen instead of getting into a bidding war to retain Graveman.
    -Addresses the lack of solid LH relief pitching by nabbing Rogers in the Buxton deal and also gets a LH flame thrower in Garrett with the hopes of him finally harnessing his control in the Castillo deal.

I think Story would hit very well at MMP and as I mentioned above- he’d have an understanding about a potential move to the OF once Brantley leaves. There was some talk about potential suitors at this past deadline inquiring about Story making the move to the OF.

Looking forward to Click being able to operate with plenty of resources at his disposal.

I know none of these things are very “likely” and I could be way off on contracts/prospect value but man… that would be a team that instills fear in the rest of the MLB

punkoholic and Snake Diggit like this.
  19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And, after 2022, they'd be dealing with a hefty contract for free agent Buxton.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  20. HTown2017Champs

Fantasy offseason
    QO both JV and Correa. Both decline, sign elsewhere, and we get two comp picks

Non-tender Montero, tender all the others

FA signings:
    Kevin Gausman - 4yr/$100M: This is tough for many, but he's arguably the top arm
    Kendall Graveman - 2yr/$15M + option

Trades: Astros get SS DeJong + PTBNL; Cardinals get RHP Jake Odorizzi + PTBNL

Astros get: RHP Chris Stratton

Pirates get: RHP Josh James, RHP Enoli Paredes, RHP Pedro Baez

Stratton is Maton 2.0 with his spin rate. He brings a little more heat than Phil, and has just as elite peripherals. His curve also has elite break. We let Yimi walk in this scenario, and Stratton basically takes over his role. Also snuck in a Pedro Baez salary dump too.

1. Altuve 2B
    2. Brantley LF
    3. Bregman 3B
    4. Alvarez DH
    5. Gurriel 1B
    6. Tucker RF
    7. DeJong SS
    8. Meyers CF
    9. Maldonado C

Bench: Castro, Diaz, Siri, McCormick
    Rotation: LMJ, Gausman, Urquidy, Valdez, Garcia
    Pen: Pressly, Graveman, Stanek, Maton, Stratton, Taylor, Javier, Solomon

No major prospects traded. This team should easily be in 1st place and on pace for triple digit wins at the deadline, while giving us flexibility to re-evaluate then.
    Really do NOT want to trade Hunter Brown, I think he will become exactly what Forrest Whitley was supposed to be, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him bump either Garcia or Framber out of the rotation (my super hot take that could be cold).