1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Silas Is A Horrible Head Coach!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its a comedy of errors up and down. Hard to evaluate because its just a bunch of kids running around and jacking up shots. Silas is too meek and easy going to command a young team like this.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

In his defense, he wasn't envisioning his first head coaching gig to be a rebuilding project when he signed up to be here. I'd imagine he works better in situations where there are veterans and players he can rely and lean on like Steve Kerr, Doc Rivers, etc. Rather than being a strategic coach he's more of that mentor-type. Of course I'm also part of the group that thinks if you're going to be a good to great coach, you work with what you got. Most of the time that doesn't translate in the W-L column but it should translate onto the floor in how prepared your team is, are they competent and aware of what the defense is giving them, do they know where to be on the floor, etc. Sure you got 2 rookies playing heavy minutes but let's not kid ourselves that the others (Wood, KPJ, Tate, Theis, etc.) should get the same pass either.

Losmi_34, Bo6 and Verbal Christ like this.
  3. NewAge

NewAge Member

So maybe he should resign then and look for ready-to-win opportunities…

#123 NewAge, Nov 1, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

one can only hope my friend.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

For sure. He came from a team/system that had a true alpha that would usually take care of the details himself and hoped he would have another ready made alpha in James Harden to keep his "system" working. Even then the very premise of his philosophy requires shooters on the floor at all times. He's over there scratching his head why its not working when he's handcuffed himself to JST who's shooting 18% from 3. For what? His defense? Did his Dallas teams have a defensive identity? Its just crazy. He hasnt even toyed with the notion of moving around some players and trying to find something that "works" maybe not in terms of wins and losses, but in offering a professional version of basketball.

If Silas needs a top 10 player in the league to run his offense, then this isnt the place for him. If tanking is really the goal of Stone and the front office then they seem to have found the perfect coach for that.

aaquaa, hakeem94 and Rockets4Life13 like this.
  6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Whatever the reason, young players, lack of size, etc, etc. This team is just not competitive.

D-rock likes this.
  7. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I just want to know what this team focuses on in practice. We need to find our identity and become good at one thing. Apparently our defense is rather good, but it’s a small sample size and we’ve had games where we can’t hold our opponent to under 30/qtr.

But we need to figure out one thing and do it really well. Perfect it. All year. Then next season add to it. Right now I feel like we are trying to improve a different thing every game and it’s just a mess.

D-rock, fattz and hakeem94 like this.
  8. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So many crybabies in here - the Rockets have actually improved defensively … now there will be growing pains with KPJ learning to play PG and JG being a rookie.

Because the Rockets shoot so poorly from 3 - teams pack the paint , which make people overlook wide open shots.

Majority of turnovers come from - passing too early or too late or in a crowd , dribbling into a crowd… things I expect to be cleaned up as the season goes on. Keep in mind we are TANKING there is a group of teams we have to stay within reach of.

Corrosion likes this.
  9. Rockets4Life13

DJ augustine has been a serviceable Point guard for 14 years but he can’t do **** either, whats the excuse there?
    our offense seems to be designed to get Theis open 3pt shots… (???) but they leave him open anyway.

Lineups are part of the problem. If the paint is packed because we have no respectable shooters out there, of course there’s going to be more turnovers. You need space to pass too.
    So why not play Armoni Brooks some minutes? Why has KJ been in the doghouse despite being a respectable shooter at the end of last season? Atleast try to roll out a lineup with some respectable shooting to create some good shots. Maybe the defense would suffer but I’d rather take that than scoring ****ing 50 points through 3 quarters. That’s just embarrassing.

D-rock, Joe Rocket and Verbal Christ like this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

its the coaching... cant pair a rookie coach and a lot of rookies

D-rock, fattz, VickMackey and 2 others like this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol even when he s playing armoni its never a designed play to get him easy looks, its mostly armoni iso from 35 feet

Joe Rocket likes this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

silas gonna destroy our rookies

hes already forced alpi to shoot 3s and alpi didnt even adjusted to hitting open layups lolololol

aaquaa, fattz and DaDakota like this.
  13. Rockets4Life13

Yup but atleast someone has to stand next to him so that’s one guy less packing the paint

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Good Guy Silas has got to go. This is the perfect team for a great college coach to come in and take over.

hakeem94 and VickMackey like this.
  15. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

To everyone who hates Silas (I’m undecided as we have such raw talents it’s hard to judge) who do you want them to hire? Obviously no coach worth a damn will he available right now, mid season. Who’s not working that we’d want that somehow wasnt scooped up by another team already? Do you want to go with a college coach?

seems like we are most likely to be in a similar situation with an inexperienced coach trying to develop an extremely young, raw team.

Corrosion likes this.
  16. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Kenny Atkinson, Jeff Van Gundy, Mark Jackson

Kevooooo likes this.
  17. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

And anyone on Popp's bench. Becky Hammond could do a better job.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I seriously doubt any of them would take this job , its a job they are destined to fail at for multiple years & by the time the team has matured they are likely fired.

And Mark Jackson ? Why .... dude sucks.

The only one on either list I'd consider is Hammond because she'd run Pop's offense ....

I don't think Silas has done such a terrible job as the majority here does , I'll give him a couple years before I say off with his head.

aaquaa likes this.
  19. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

But being competitive isn't really important right now, is it? For me the most important job of our head coach is developing young players - not to win games. Getting a high draft pick next year would be ideal for where we are right now.

Now personally I have no idea if Silas is good at developing young players - but I wouldn't measure the success of our HC by wins right now.

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I would say you're all a bunch of idiots when it comes to knowing what this team needs when it comes to personnel or coaching, but that would not include myself. We're a bunch of idiots, we. Me included.

I have grown to love Stephen Silas!

burlesk, hakeem94 and Squirtle like this.