1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] World Series Astros vs. Braves

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 25, 2021.

1. E-Man

E-Man Member

So I guess MLB will allow the Astros to make the World Series but have to lose it as punishment for 2017? :confused:

banzai likes this.
  2. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I'm sure it'll be addressed, but 20 runs in 6 games wasn't exactly winning many WS after 1914.

3. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

It’s an incredibly stupid take because Jim Crane gave Justin Verlander a 2 year, 66M contract extension after the 2019 season and he agreed to take on Greinke’s bloated contract at the 2019 trade deadline. Verlander got hurt in Spring Training last year and tried to pitch through it, and Greinke finally got to the point where he couldn’t trick hitters consistently anymore with lesser stuff.

Not to mention, the Astros’ payroll this year was $198M, and Crane has proven time and again he will do what it takes to win.

lw17 likes this.
  4. HTown2017Champs

I like Minter because he went to A&M (hence, the Raley avatar- though I may switch to Maton). Swanson I'm on the fence. Pederson is the only other guy I dislike (obvious reasons- F the Dodgers).
    Freeman, Acuna, Riley, Fried, d'Arnaud, Duvall, Albies, etc. are all pretty cool.

Edit: Who was that Nats rookie who started the Baby Shark crap? Dude was annoying as f***

lw17 likes this.
  5. DVauthrin

I’m more angry than sad tonight. Not because they lost, but how they lost. I can accept getting beat. I cannot accept laying down in a win-or-go home game.

6. Screaming Fist

It hurts to lose to a mediocre team missing their second best pitcher but the bats just went cold. Not much can be done when only a single player hits a home run the entire series. Sucks but that’s post-season baseball - it’s as much luck as it is anything else.

lw17, STR8Thugg and DVauthrin like this.
  7. DVauthrin

The Astros scored four runs combined in their four losses. They could have had Cole, Verlander, Scherzer, etc and it wouldn’t have made a difference.

8. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Fu.ck the Red Sox

lw17 likes this.
  9. STR8Thugg

Yeah, and we've had a ton of really good players develop. We weren't ever going to be able to keep them all. Hell, even boston decided to trade betts.

You would hope your organization can also find viable and very good young players like Kyle Tucker to replace expensive stars that leave. I don't see that as a bad thing.

I would love to have Correa back, but at this point I could see the justification in signing a tier 2 guy like Story, or maybe even Seager and use the remaining on improving the starting rotation.

I fully expect us to be a WS contending team next year as well, but until we pop the cherry on another, it's gonna feel like complete disappointment.

Squirtle, DVauthrin and banzai like this.
  10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Mirrors my own thoughts exactly.

I hope we can do better than Jake Odorizzi this off-season. But need doesn't dictate availability.

Squirtle and lw17 like this.
  11. Screaming Fist

and it’s not like the Braves were throwing Scherzer and Strasburg out there. This run by the Braves reminds me of the 2015 Royals.

lw17 and DVauthrin like this.
  12. STR8Thugg

13. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Game 4 was certainly pivotal

HTown2017Champs and STR8Thugg like this.
  14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The outcome was disappointing to be sure, but we got there and LAD, NYY, Bos and 25 other teams didnt.

lw17 likes this.
  15. STR8Thugg

I mean I get it, but the "It's Baseball" Guy takes aren't exactly sitting well at the moment.

Squirtle likes this.
  16. DVauthrin

I see the Astros upgrading their rotation via trade (Sonny Gray, Luis Castillo, Zac Gallen, Sandy Alcantara/Pablo Lopez, Shane Bieber or Zach Plesac come to mind) and either they keep Correa, or they sign someone like Chris Taylor to play SS and heavily pursue Starling Marte for center field. I don’t see them giving Robbie Ray a big money deal, and I doubt either Scherzer or Kershaw are coming here.

17. Landry's Tooth

I would give up 2 of Garcia, Valdez, Javier, or Urquidy to get Rendon...

Angels need pitching and Rendon might be an upgrade over Correa...

5 years left at cheaper money total than Correa...

Gives them more cash to re-sign Ohtani in a year...

Hard to win paying 110 million to 3 hitters....

I would note ohtani is also a pitcher but he's also injury prone...

lw17 likes this.
  18. STR8Thugg

No that Royals team was loaded on offense. This Braves team just traded for okay outfielders, but a bunch of them, and then turned up the sliders on MLB The Show.

19. KelvinCato13

KelvinCato13 Member

Time and time again this happened in the season when this team would play down to their opponent…we lost to the teams that we are/should clearly be better than.

Stephen66, lw17 and STR8Thugg like this.
  20. STR8Thugg

Please no with Chris Taylor.

I could stomach Seager, bc he's like, really, really good.

But I'm not advocating going after former Dodgers players.

lw17 likes this.