1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Porter Jr / Green vs Steve Francis / Mobley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Nov 1, 2021.

?

Who you got

1. Francis/Mobley

61 vote(s)
    73.5%
  2. Porter Jr/Green

16 vote(s)
    19.3%
  3. Tie

6 vote(s)
    7.2%
  1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I love Franchise but he was never that good. For a few years it seemed he made the All Star
    I’m starting to think that he would be better suited as a 2 guard. I think jalen green can play point or at least he has great potential. I just feel green needs the ball in his hands to put his stamp on the game the way so many greats do.

2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

You know I loved franchise growing up but in reality he wasn’t that great. He was a good player but undisciplined and poor shooter. His 2 pt % was even bad and never averaged more than 21 ppg for being the main guy. I felt he was an all star for those couple years since since there wasn’t much talent or dominant player at that 1 spot at the time. He was fun to watch though.

D-rock likes this.
  3. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Francis missed a lot of that season with the migraines. When Francis was healthy, the rockets were usually a fringe playoff team.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Was it migraines or the alcohol ?
    We all know he went down that path

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Porter average 6 AST as first time PG, same as Francis 1st season with Rockets.

Franchise career AST AVG is exactly 6 AST.

Porter currently averaging over 5 AST with remainder of a long season ahead of him. KPJ can still end up averaging 6 AST this season too.

Both Francis and KPJ were turnover prone as well, agreed.

6. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Keep Woods and Martin and sell the farm.

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

You remember what we are witnessing right now?

Maybe we will have someone to compare to Yao next season

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Maybe if Porter Jr has the IQ of a turnip.

Durants primary weapon is also his length and his finesse scoring ability midrange, fadeaways, shooting over the top of people, etc. Not sure that's true for Green.

I could see Green maxing out as a vintage Tracy McGrady eith hopefully more heart and sturdier legs, and KPJ as a Kyrie Irving. I dont see him as a true point, but a scoring hybrid guard.

Right now looking like Monta Ellis and Lou Williams is also a strong possibility. No way to know.

#48 napalm06, Nov 1, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

10. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Im going out on the limb saying these players will be better than francis mobley. Comon guys lets not bring back that. Francis was good but he was never a leader nor could he take over games, just a good scorer. Green will be better. Im not comparing position with these 4. Im just comparing the better players from the 4.

Green & Porter > Francis & Mobley. If its the other direction, than Houston wont have alot to look forward to in the future. Hopefully in the next 2 years or so Houton will find out, and if they dont pan out, i bet you get a Big Trade with them in it, w/picks bringing in a semi Superstar.

11. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Why are we keeping Wood in this scenario? Are you watching highlights from last season instead of this season's games?

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

13. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

And Yao magically played better once T-Mac got to Houston ;)

MadMax and tycoonchip like this.
  14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

yeah you and I aren't too far apart on this topic. I still give the edge to Steve, for now. if you came from the future and told me porter ended up the better passer and defender I would believe you. he's not there yet. also, if you told me he ended up as more of a 6th man scorer rather than starting PG, I'd believe that too. he's got a wide range of outcomes. The good news is the rockets are giving him plenty of minutes and usage to they should be able to make an accurate forecast given 2-3 full seasons with him before deciding what to offer on his next contract.

tinman and D-rock like this.
  15. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I am counting on it. Francis and mobley were older than these guys and the guard revolution had not taken over yet. They would have been much better in this era

16. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

Athleticism
    1a. Francis
    1b. Green
    3. Porter
    4. Mobley

Offense
    1. Green
    2. Porter
    3. Francis
    4. Mobley

Defense
    1. Mobley
    2. Francis
    3. Porter
    4. Green

Longevity

1. Mobley
    2. Green
    3. Porter
    4. Francis

Overall Careers (Prediction)
    1. Green
    2. Francis
    3a. Mobley
    3b. Porter

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This comparison is silly. Neither Cat or Francis were even in the NBA when they were Green and KPJ's ages.

D-rock likes this.
  18. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Francis came in at 22, Mobley at 23.

KPJ has a full year before he's at the age that Francis joined the league at.

By the time Green's first NBA contract is up, he'll be at the age that Mobley joined the league at.

D-rock and fchowd0311 like this.
  19. 34to11

34to11 Member

You already have.

D-rock likes this.
  20. 34to11

34to11 Member

Glad to see someone with an accurate recollection.

smoothie likes this.