1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Daniel Theis (4 years, $36M)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Aug 2, 2021.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

I'm not saying I blame them, but we were trying to play a basketball game. Silas had to pull him out, maybe one day he'll let him finish (the game).

Ottomaton likes this.
  2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I think it was a good signing but for the wrong team.

I would bet by the summer of 2023 sengun and garuba will be the center rotation, we will want to clear cap space, and will have to part with some asset to move off thies' last 2 years.

I'm afraid we might have to move him next summer with 3 years left. wood, sengun, garuba, Martin, are already a 4 man PF/C rotation. then add a likely top 5 pick which again are mostly bigs: Chet (PF), Banchero (PF), Duren (C), nsoza (C), hardy (SG), jovic (PF), smith (PF)...

I don't see a role for thies as early as next year, they'll have to get him out of the way just like they did with wall.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The last year is a team option. It’s only a three-year deal if he’s not that good.

4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

been telling yall.. this guy makes basketball hard to watch.

clos4life, D-rock, cdastros and 2 others like this.
  5. DJ

DJ Member

DeAndre Ayton averaged 30 minutes his rookie campaign

6. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Hard to believe we could have resigned Olynik for 2 million more.

7. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

My post was specific to bigs coming over from international play with no college experience. Ayton played 35 games at the college level. While ostensibly most international professional leagues have a higher level of competition than the NCAA, the adjustment period seems to be much higher. Whether this is because of culture shock distracting players off the court, coaching bias against certain styles, or conditioning, historically it does take a bit more time for them to get up and running.

Honestly, I haven't looked at the past numbers, but I'd strongly suspect that even getting 30+ minutes as a rookie portends very well to future success, almost regardless of how quality those minutes are. And it's not because playing more minutes = development, but that you don't get to play that much if you're a net negative on the court.

There is a pretty insane study out of baseball that shows if you are even capable of earning a single at-bat at age 19, you have about a 9% chance of being a future hall-of-famer. If you manage to earn 250 at bats (about 1/3 of a full season), you have about a 1/3 chance of being a hall-of-famer.

SOURCE

I'm not in any rush to overload Sengun right now. As a fan I would love for him to be playing 35+ per game, but that would be an historical anomaly.

I will say however, if the chemistry between Theis and KPJ/Green continues to look as bad as it does so far, I wouldn't be against them trying Garuba under the "how much worse could they look on offense" theory...

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Still spot on

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'm not really worried about Theis (being able to move, or him being a future cap constraint), but early returns are that the Rockets free agent scouting folks really sh$t the bed with this gamble. Would have been a better bet dusting off 55 year old Scola since he probably would work harder than anyone else still... if the signing was just about veteran influence.

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I really miss Olynik man, he was a very smart player and makes everyone better.

Bo6, vator and hakeem94 like this.
  11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Folks, you asked for BANGER PF to put next to Yao and you got it.

Time to face the music. Small ball haters, this is your song.

Bo6, hakeem94 and J.R. like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

I was wrong about Theis.

He doesn't add anything to this team in terms of winning basketball, rebounds or even defense.

And he stifles the youth development.

Bo6, clos4life, vator and 1 other person like this.
  13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You'll feel better when we send Theis, House & Gordon to the Warriors for A-Wiggins.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Ugh!

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

Bo6 and D-rock like this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

In todays cesspool of toxic masculinity disguised as an insecure need for validity among strangers - I salute you! Takes a REAL man to say he was wrong or made a mistake. Cheers bro!

I had higher hopes for Thies BTW .. that pick and pop ability I saw early in the preseason was just a mirage. :(

D-rock likes this.
  17. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Listen when you're 6th in steals and youre only getting 19 minutes your coach should have the awareness to start you. Silas has no such awareness. He's slower than Mchale at adjustments and player ability awareness. Theis should be splitting bench minutes with Garuba and then traded.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  18. clos4life

clos4life Member

If it makes you feel better I was wrong too, I thought he would be solid, not a negative.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he could be a positive in a system without silas running it tho

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

skip to the traded part.

we're heading for a real logjam at the 4/5. wood is best at the 5. sengun needs significant minutes. garuba will deserve a backup role next year. that's 3 guys playing center without counting in thies.

if you want wood as a full time 4, tate and KJM are best at the 4 too. and even if you think tate could just stay at the 3... most of the top draft prospects this year are 4's or 5's.