1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] World Series Astros vs. Braves

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Elienator

Elienator Member

Fair Enough. As long as the Astros are still considering Urquidy to be available to start a Game 6 or 7 assuming he feels OK, then it makes sense to me.

everyday eddie and STR8Thugg like this.
  2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I think at this point, it looks like the Astros starters seem to do better when they're not named Framber Valdez.

3. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Can play the what if game all we want. Again, it's easy to say things like this now. The reality is he used him and he gave up 0 runs when we desperately needed a 0 to calm everything down, and he only pitched 14 pitches. Is it ideal? No, but neither is having to fight and scratch and claw for your life down 4-0 (at the time 4-5) facing elimination.

Not breaking any news here, but if the Astros are gonna pull this off then a lot of guys are going to have to step up and perform at a high level. The offense can take a load off the pitchers if they continue to pile on runs. But we will need every inch of our pitching staff. I think we have to have trust that Strom can find a way to get the most out of all of these guys with whatever they have left in the tank.

DVauthrin and PiPdAdY33 like this.
  4. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I believe he’s tipping his sinker …they don’t swing at any of his off speed stuff ….strike or no strike

5. Elienator

Elienator Member

I get you gotta win which is why I wasn't phrasing it as a criticism. I was more thinking Urquidy should still be a potential option for a Game 6 start if he's feeling well. If you think it absolutely rules him out for a Game 6 start, then a different reliever may have made sense there. I would hope at this point the Astros are looking at all of Garcia/Urquidy/Odorrizi and how they are feeling for Game 6.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yes. That was an important inning in an elimination game.

7. STR8Thugg

I think this is a pretty underrated point. Some pitchers have a better feel for it than others.

everyday eddie and jayfree like this.
  8. jayfree

jayfree Member

Braves have scored 18 runs in 5 games. Framber has given up over half of those (10) in 4.2 innings.

Others gave up 8 runs in 38.1 Innings (1.88 ERA)

#8068 jayfree, Nov 1, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  9. Elienator

Elienator Member

One other thing I think I missed is they may have intended Urquidy to go longer than an inning, but he was removed for a pinch hitter.

10. Elienator

Elienator Member

It occurs to me they probably weren't expecting to pinch hit for him that next half inning.

STR8Thugg likes this.
  11. SuraGotMadHops

You can't apply series long game planning, rest, innings, and pitch count when you are down 3-1 in the final series of the season, with a championship and elimination on the line. That's the disadvantage of going down 3-1. Dusty will run out of bullets going into Game 6 and 7, it's desperation, all hands on deck, every inning. You just do the best you can and hope for the best.

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Yep. It kinda reminds me of the 2017 World Series. The Astros hammered Yu Darvish in Games 3 and 7(he was likely tipping his pitches), but the team struggled to score in Games 1, 2, 4, and 6. His horrible starts were basically the difference in that series and the reason the Astros won.

napalm06 likes this.
  13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He's definitely tipping his pitches considering how they hammer him and can't even touch anyone in the bullpen .

gfab-babyboi and seemoreroyals like this.
  14. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Stoked to not hear the Braves “war-cry” anymore

elrond, BigMaloe, Stephen66 and 11 others like this.
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Good point. Urquidy and Framber can basically be viewed as fresh arms in the bullpen that can be used in traditional relief roles for games 6 And 7. It’ll be Garcia and Greinke as SP with 11 guys available to use in whatever way is most likely to immediately get outs and prevent runs.

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think about it like we've got 18 innings to get through.

You can probably get 2 each from
    Pressly
    Graveman
    Javier

1 each from
    Maton (I get the off day, but Maton ran his pitch count up in a B2B appearance - he probably needs 2 days)
    Stanek (pitched every game in ATL)

That covers 8 innings. I'd pencil Greinke in for 2 innings on 3 days rest in a game 7, and Urquidy is a wild card -- can he go 2 innings? 3 innings?

In any case, you're looking to pick up 5-6 innings out of Luis Garcia, and whatever matchup outs from Yimi Garcia, Odorizzi and the lefties (including Framber potentially).

I get the temptation to go with Garcia, but I'd honestly try and save him. I'd probably try and go-

Game 6
    Urquidy - 2
    Odorizzi - 2
    Yimi - 1
    Javier - 2 (3 if he's rolling)
    Stanek - 1
    Pressly - 1

Game 7
    Garcia - 4
    Greinke - 2 (he's on 3 days rest - could probably give you 40 pitches?)
    Maton - 1
    Graveman - 1 (2 if you need it)
    Pressly - 1

You've also got the 2 bullpen lefties for matchups either game, and home Framber potentially if they can sort him out.

mikol13, Fiah and PiPdAdY33 like this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Interesting way of looking at it. Planning for the contingency of extra innings (which would be the only spot where Blake Taylor would be used), if each pitcher can give 2 innings over 2 games, they’ve got it covered.

Game 6: L Garcia 2, Odorizzi 2, Javier 2, Y Garcia 1, Graveman 1, Pressly 1; Extras: Framber 1, Raley 1, Stanek 1, Maton 1
    Game 7: Greinke 2, Urquidy 2, Framber 1, Maton 1, Stanek 1, Graveman 1, Pressly 1; Extras: Taylor 2, Raley 1, Y Garcia 1

18. STR8Thugg

Yeah if you can't figure that out just try and go back to that exact moment in time and marinate on your thoughts regarding the game at that time. We had given up runs in 2/3 innings and just relinquished the lead after climbing back from 0-4. The Freeman homer felt like another shot to the gut. That inning was valuable AF.

conquistador#11 and DVauthrin like this.
  19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It's a silver lining that regardless of what happens, the tomahawk moan won't be there at the end.

whiskeyred and Tfor3 like this.
  20. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Luis Garcia, Christian Javier, Jake Odorizzi, Brooks Raley all need to step up one more time in Game 6

Still waiting for Sleeping Giant Yordan Alvarez to wake up, he is really needed Game 6

Phil Maton, Ryne Stanek, Kendall Graveman, Ryan Presley hopefully lock it down

Pringles likes this.