1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Constitutional Amendment Propositions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by JuanValdez, Oct 20, 2009.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

From what I understand, the money already exists and was intended for higher education but hasn't been used. So, you may as well, I suppose, even if I'm a little incredulous.

The only objection I've seen is from a conservative student group, who were arguing that it distracts professors from teaching with research. Since that's a pretty ignorant objection, I'm not enamored with the opposition.

2. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member

8 propositions on this year's ballot. I'm undecided one a few of these. Where do you stand?

Summary of those -

Proposition 1: rodeo raffles
    This proposition allows voters to decide whether charities for teams sanctioned by the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association or Women’s Professional Rodeo Association can hold charitable raffles. According to Rottinghaus, these races need to be approved through a constitutional amendment to avoid falling foul of Texas’ gambling laws.

Proposition 2: county infrastructure bonds for blighted areas
    Proposition 2 will determine whether counties can authorize bonds or notes to finance development in blighted or underserved areas. Rottinghaus described the amendment as a “shortcut” for county funding and said it could help urban counties going through a population boom.

Proposition 3: religious services
    This proposition will decide if state or local governments can limit religious services. Rottinghaus said this measure likely stems from COVID-19 mitigation efforts in 2020, when in-person religious services were limited in parts of Texas, such as Harris and Fort Bend counties.

Proposition 4: judicial eligibility limitation
    This proposition would update requirements to serve on the Texas Supreme Court, the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, the Texas Appeals Court or as a district judge. It would require 10 years of service as a practicing lawyer or a combined 10 years of service in legal practice and as a judge of a state or county court.

Proposition 5: judicial conduct limitation
    Voters can decide whether the Texas Commission on Judicial Conduct, which is responsible for disciplining sitting judges, can extend its powers to candidates for the office of a judge in Texas, allowing the commission to conduct investigations, accept complaints and disqualify candidates not in office.

Proposition 6: essential caregivers
    Proposition 6 asks voters to decide whether residents of facilities such as nursing homes have the right to determine an essential caregiver who can visit without restrictions. Rottinghaus said this proposition also stemmed from COVID-19 mitigation measures affecting some care facilities.

Proposition 7: homestead tax limitation for surviving spouses of people with disabilities
    This will determine whether surviving spouses of disabled people can receive limitations on the amount of property taxes they pay on their homesteads, provided they were age 55 or older when their partner died.

Proposition 8: homestead tax limitation for surviving spouses of armed service members
    Proposition 8 allows voters to decide whether surviving spouses of armed service members will be exempted from all or part of property taxes on homesteads.
    https://communityimpact.com/houston...xans-november-2021-ballot-and-what-they-mean/

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

At face value I'm in favor of all of these.

Raffle seems reasonable.

Authorizing bonds (assuming the bonds are still voted on) seems reasonable.

Religious service limitations MAY be able to be abused, so more detail needed.

4 and 5 seem similar. Vetting these positions seems reasonable.

Caregiver visitation should be allowed.

The homestead taxes seem reasonable. Florida just adopted a similar setup.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Fix the damned grid.

DD

ryan_98 likes this.
  5. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Is Prop 9 an end around the Poretto family in Galveston?

6. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member

Is this an off-year election aberration or do people have a real sustained interest in politics now?

110,601 (in-person & mail-in) estimated early votes this year vs 58,429 in 2017

In-person and mail-in voter turnout soars in Harris County in early voting

Friday was the last day to vote early in the 2021 school board and state constitutional amendment elections with early numbers showing an uptick in turnout in Harris County compared with four years ago.

County election data shows the estimated total of those voting early in person as of Friday night to be 63,358 compared with the 46,224 in-person ballots cast in 2017, a 37 percent increase. Mail-in ballots also jumped in this early election period with tentative numbers showing 47,243 ballots cast compared with the 12,205 counted in 2017, almost a four-fold jump.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/po...to-vote-early-for-Nov-2-election-16574767.php

TheFreak likes this.
  7. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

There are few amendments that I think are questionable

This proposition will decide if state or local governments can limit religious services. Rottinghaus said this measure likely stems from COVID-19 mitigation efforts in 2020, when in-person religious services were limited in parts of Texas, such as Harris and Fort Bend counties.

I don't like taking away tools that can be implemented to prevent spreading of diseases. What if a even more virulent or more deadly disease than Covid19 appears? I don't think in-person religious service is so 'essential' that it needs to codified into the state constitution. Defining what qualifies as 'religious service' is also going to be problematic.

Voters can decide whether the Texas Commission on Judicial Conduct, which is responsible for disciplining sitting judges, can extend its powers to candidates for the office of a judge in Texas, allowing the commission to conduct investigations, accept complaints and disqualify candidates not in office.

What are the risks of the commission being used as a political weapon against a candidate? Even an open investigation without merits can be damaging to a candidate.

Proposition 6 asks voters to decide whether residents of facilities such as nursing homes have the right to determine an essential caregiver who can visit without restrictions. Rottinghaus said this proposition also stemmed from COVID-19 mitigation measures affecting some care facilities.

This seems like a like a terrible idea. The nursing home should try their best to protect all of their residents, even if it means limiting visitors. If this had been implmeneted prior to covid19, there would've been so many more deaths. If a resident has an essential caregiver that they can't live without, the resident would be discharged to the essential caregiver rather than allowing people to come into the facility.

Proposition 8: homestead tax limitation for surviving spouses of armed service members
    Proposition 8 allows voters to decide whether surviving spouses of armed service members will be exempted from all or part of property taxes on homesteads.

Changing the benefit qualification from the current 'in combat' to 'line of duty' is fine. Though I personally don't think special consideration given to armed service members should be necessary. I am all for branches of the military to establish better life insurance or even lifelong bereavement benefits for partners and dependents, but that should all go through the military, not state government.

8. adoo

adoo Member

as corroborated by this ranking

Universities with the most Nobel Prize Winners

in the top 20, there are 5 Calif unis.

Cal Berkeley has produced 110 winners, 13 for Texas' best, UT, who is in 31st place​

9. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

The wording on all of them is so vague.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If you have not yet, today is voting day.

11. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

4 and 5 regarding Judges are reasonable is you want Abbot and Trumpster style evangelicals who control Austin choosing who can run or remain a judge.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Proposition 1: rodeo raffles
    This proposition allows voters to decide whether charities for teams sanctioned by the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association or Women’s Professional Rodeo Association can hold charitable raffles. According to Rottinghaus, these races need to be approved through a constitutional amendment to avoid falling foul of Texas’ gambling laws.

Yes. I went ahead and let them have it and didn't think too much about it.

Proposition 2: county infrastructure bonds for blighted areas
    Proposition 2 will determine whether counties can authorize bonds or notes to finance development in blighted or underserved areas. Rottinghaus described the amendment as a “shortcut” for county funding and said it could help urban counties going through a population boom.

Yes. I like that it decentralizes the power of the purse in a very stingy state.

No. Ordinarily, I would have voted yes but I know the only reason it's there is because the nuts were objecting to very reasonable and pretty conservative public health measures. I'm not going to help validate the death-cult.

Proposition 4: judicial eligibility limitation
    This proposition would update requirements to serve on the Texas Supreme Court, the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, the Texas Appeals Court or as a district judge. It would require 10 years of service as a practicing lawyer or a combined 10 years of service in legal practice and as a judge of a state or county court.

No. Judges are elected in Texas (though they shouldn't be). It should be voters that decide if someone is qualified to be a judge.

No. It's the voters that decide qualifications not some government commission. A person doesn't subject themselves to the authority of this commission until he's actually employed.

No. Again, would sound reasonable in ordinary times, but again I won't help validate the death-cult.

Proposition 7: homestead tax limitation for surviving spouses of people with disabilities
    This will determine whether surviving spouses of disabled people can receive limitations on the amount of property taxes they pay on their homesteads, provided they were age 55 or older when their partner died.

Yes. I'm happy to shoulder some more load for people who can't because of obstacles in their lives like disability.

No. No shade on our soldiers, but the hardship on an army widow isn't any different from that of a roofer who falls off a roof or a field worker ground up in machinery.