1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chad Ford and Coach David Thorpe talk Rookies!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ickaruto, Oct 29, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have actually liked what I have seen from Silas this year, the team plays hard and the offense looks more fluid this year.

RudyTBag likes this.
  2. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I heard the comment, it was Thorpe that said it about Silas.
    Can't remember if he said good or great or just that he really liked him as a coach but he said it.
    What's funny is that he said he hoped Silas would "reign Green in" when it's Silas that's giving him the green light shoot!
    Wonder how much he really knows about Silas the coach.

Interesting that Thorpe said that during KD's first 3 years in the league he was a net negative (his team was better with him off the court).
    Called Alpie "Jokic-lite" when they're not the same type player.

Ford had the quote/nickname of the year though when he called the Rockets situation (mostly 1 on 1 "me" players) the "Hunger Games"!
    LOL!!!
    That's EXACTLY the way they play!
    But unfortunately it's with the great coach Silas's blessing! :(

D-rock, Joe Rocket and steddinotayto like this.
  3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

right but there wasn’t anything from the soundbite from Thorpe that anyone can draw a conclusion that Silas is the perfect coach for this situation or anything inferring that they thought he was a great coach. Thorpe loves him but that doesn’t = great coach

D-rock and Nook like this.
  4. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Yeah he didn't say that.
    If he did I would REALLY have to question his basketball judgement! LOL

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Green plays legit nothing like that, though.

Wise beyond his years when it comes to shot selection.

These guys are boxscore watching.

6. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

They did not watch Rockets games before when Harden was here. I doubt they are really watching complete games now. More than bringing other sources, can anyone show us what does Silas do well?

D-rock and pippendagimp like this.
  7. MystikArkitect

Definitely. Throwing KPJ in there to man the point was a bad move that's having a lot of residual effects. Namely stunting the growth of Sengun, Green and even Tate. He should've just been Wall's backup and then eased into the role as backup PG to see if he could do it. All in all the KPJ experiment is going about as well as Stromile Swift or Lawson.

snowconeman22, B-Bob and CHAMPBOY like this.
  8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

careful who you call old

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Mobley, Barnes and Giddey have been the stand out rookies. I was totally wrong about Barnes, his shot creation looked so ugly, but tor has put him in position to do everything else, and be a finisher of plays. Giddey is going to lead the league in assists one day, right now he is still playing off of sga and rightfully so, but once he gets more comfortable they will flip it the other way around, Giddey is the facilitating pg with sga as the iso scorer when things break down. Like how Cp3/Harden should have been. Mobley is going to be a generational player, mix between kg and Duncan.

Funny thing is we have a rookie that would be right up there with these guys if he got enough minutes.

Also Green will get better, guys like fox and garland looked awful their rookie years, pace of improvement is what’s most important.

10. NewAge

NewAge Member

The consensus narratives shift from “Mobley may be the next Bosh/Gasol, J.Green may be the next Kobe/MJ” to “Mobley may be next KG/TD, J.Green may be next LaVine” is… troublesome.

D-rock, DeBeards, clos4life and 5 others like this.
  11. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

Once Green spends some time lifting in the off season he’ll get much stronger. Guys with his level of athleticism can gain strength very easily if they put a little work in the weight room. These are my favorite people to work with because they can make you look really good lol

NewAge, D-rock, DeBeards and 6 others like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

He needs to work on his core and lean muscle work. He is never going to be massive like Edwards but he can be strong enough to score.

13. dmoneybangbang

Green doesn't know what to do with his athleticism in the NBA yet. His step backs are crazy, but clearly still needs to work on his length strength and shooting mechanics. I just don't want Green to become a driver or step back 3 player like Harden. Harden was a generational offensive talent as a Rocket, but I felt like his game limited what he could truly do.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You got John WALL sitting on the bench eating up 45m in contract space.

And if all we get out of a number 2 pick is Jamal Crawford, this board will explode.

DD

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I have to disagree with the green assessment that seems like person who doesnt watch the Rockets. Jalens shots do not come from him being selfish. That is a very casual take. Jalen was passive the first couple of games but on this team SOMEONE HAS TO SHOOT. We dont have a go to guy and this offense begs you to shoot or you ruin spacing. Also it sounds like they just want to protect the coach without knowing much about the situation. I hate when people call other people haters because they disagree with them. I dont hate SIlas. I dont like him as coach of my favorite team.

DeBeards, JayZ750, RudyTBag and 2 others like this.
  16. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

That was always a possibility. #2 picks are only like 40% all stars lol

17. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I was told the other day that we only do iso's 5% of the time LMAO. Pretty sure that stat is wrong.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  18. 18pbr

18pbr Member

Facts...since the summer league i have been impressed with Green's composure and basic playmaking. I wanted the Rockets to select Green during the draft but i thought at 19 he would have poor shot selection and not see the floor at all. He's been poised from what i had seen on the floor.

And it is still early guys...hard to make an assessment by only watching 5 games in their early careers.

First 5 games 2009-2010
    Brandon Jennings 18ppg
    Steph Curry 9ppg

#38 18pbr, Oct 29, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  19. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

We need Wall as Point Guard and Porter as Small Forward. He need a PG to set him up easily. I believe that’s why Rocket’s brain trust really tried to get Cunningham during the draft because they knew they needed a PG. Also, I heard in the draft they really wanted Giddey but after OKC drafted him they still had Sengun on their list. But Sengun is going to be a Star for us.

20. jogo

jogo Member

"Jalen Green has some terrible instincts" around 46:00
    "the pressure weighs on him"
    "taking bad shots is not the recipe for winning"

I think those are all fixable. Getting FTs last game is an improvement. He needs to continue to get rebs and assists when his shots not falling.
    It does look to me that his shot selection needs work, 3-16 last game, 4-16 the game before.

D-rock and dmoneybangbang like this.