1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lakers rebuild timeline 2018 vs Rockets rebuild

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 18pbr, Oct 29, 2021.

1. 18pbr

18pbr Member

With the Rockets playing the Lakers this Sunday, I thought about the Lakers rebuild timeline. Of course the rebuild was cut short once you acquire Bron.

But I forgot the Lakers drafted 3 high lottery picks three years a row.

D-Lo (2015) #2 pick
    BI (2016) #2 pick
    L.Ball (2017) #2 pick

Even though D-Lo was traded before Lonzo Ball went to training camp, do you think this core could have done damage if they had stick together? Keep in mind Walton was their coach at the time.

Lonzo Ball
    D.Russell ( Russell was trade for Brook so never played with Ball)
    BI
    Randle
    Zubiac

Bench
    KCP
    Hart
    Clarkson
    Kuzma

I bring this up because the Rockets are rebuilding now. And obviously the Lakers plans change when Lebron and AD comes to town but the question I have for you all, is it better to keep the young guys to improve (Rockets current path) and try to build moving forward or you get the best players like AD and Bron when they are available because that is the sure thing.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

You take LeBron/AD over Russell, Ingram, and Ball. You do that every time.

3. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Fu.ck the Lakers

4. xaos

xaos Member

Your question is a good question, but using the Lakers as an example is probably not something easily replicated literally because we aren't in LA where they have geographic + NBA history advantage + LEBRON being one of a kind player

5. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

You take Lebron/G Leaguer/G Leaguer over anyone.

18pbr likes this.
  6. 18pbr

18pbr Member

I guess what I am trying to say for example....lets say a player like a 34 year old KD in 2022 is a free agent and he joins Houston and then we get Embiid to join him as well. Do we gut the team because this maybe our only shot at getting the chip because we have a top duo like Joel and KD?

7. Mattician

Mattician Member

I could see the Rockets trying to flip a few young guys for someone if the opportunity presents itself in the future.

Green and Sengun are immediately on the not available for trade list for me. Garuba and Tate on the list too, at least for me.

i3artow i3aller and 18pbr like this.
  8. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Tate is a hustler and does amazing spins but his lack of shooting hurts the team. I hope he can develop a shot.

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The lakers would be still in mediocrity if Lebron decided not to go to hollywood.

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

What Lakers did is essentially equivalent to Luka forcing his way to Houston and then making Jokic his way here as well the next year.

I would give up my unborn child for that.

11. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is no real timeline. You want to be good as soon as possible so that your ratings stay decent and people come to the games. You also want to be good enough that anyone you and want to keep will want to stick around for a second contract. And you also want to be good so that you can attract free agents when you need to add certain skills to your roster.

You accomplish all of those things however you can and whenever you can. You can set goals that you’d like to accomplish at certain times in the distance, but you can’t get locked into a structured rebuild.

18pbr likes this.
  12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Is that a really a question? I can't think of one reason why you would say no.

I would give up all our picks, our entire team plus front office and their wives if we get Durant and Embiid tomorow

jiggyfly, ramotadab and 18pbr like this.
  13. xaos

xaos Member

I think even that unborn child would understand and wouldn't even be mad

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I think that Lakers core would be a 6 seed in the East or a bubble team in the West.

ramotadab likes this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

And twice on sunday.

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Agreed. But the Lakers are the only team that will consistently have the opportunity to do that.

jiggyfly and Patience like this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

People get stuck on semantics like "tanking" or "rebuilding".... but really it just another semantic called "asset accumulation". We don't have pretty hills or movie stars but Houston

If the guy we draft turns out to be a superstar, that's most ideal, but if not we have a war chest of picks, young players, and contracts.

ramotadab, 18pbr and Williamson like this.
  18. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Didn’t realize they picked three 2nd rounders In a row. Ingram probably the best of them. Even with those clowns that is not a championship team.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not even Brooklyn, NY in general or Boston have that kind of pull.

ramotadab likes this.
  20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The only place that seems to have that pull is Miami. Dipo gave up 100 mil to go there. Butler forced his way there. Lowry went there too.