1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green - what are your expectations for this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 11, 2021.

1. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Might I direct you toward my boy Alperen Sengun who had his career high in scoring?

HP3 likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think he looked ok, but when he was in playing against those trees he was struggling.

Hopefully better than Corey Brewer did...

;) I kid.

Right now, he is up and down.

Currently FG% .347 3pt% .315 FT% .777

DD

#842 DaDakota, Oct 29, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  3. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Good news for Jalen if he follows that sentiment, he'll have plenty to learn from.

Sheesh.

Crashlanded19, Williamson and NewAge like this.
  4. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I am not too worried about his shot. I believe he can and will fix that. I am more concerned about all the other parts of his game like passing, defense, rebounding, leadership etc. Yeah, he is 19 so he is far from a finished product. And he seems to have the right attitude and work ethic. So I am not saying he cant improve. I am just saying I am more confident in his scoring ability than all the others.

DaDakota likes this.
  5. bmelo

bmelo Member

we have different definitions of Elite. He makes correct reads sometimes but the passes are still off. Catchable but off. Chris Paul would pass it right into your ****ing shooting pocket, remembering all of his teammates shooting pockets. Nash would pin point from double team on top of the key under the rim. Thats Elite. Making corner pass 1meter wide out of the drive is not elite

BallaDoc and Dobbizzle like this.
  6. bmelo

bmelo Member

different league. Young springy LeBron with todays rules? He would be Zion with Luka in one body

BallaDoc likes this.
  7. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Yeah I saw this on a few of his passes. I think his vision's better than his ability to pass the ball to be honest. There were lots of passes that were very wide. If Wood's reaching his arms out to catch something at 6'10, that's not a great pass. He definitely has playmaker potential though, and looks way better with the ball in his hands initiating than off the ball when KP's running stuff. He'll have to overcome that, or get a lot better with his passes.

BallaDoc likes this.
  8. hahachui

hahachui Member

I think he is overrated.
    This year, we will all regret picking him at 2nd.

However, if he working hard on his defense and shot selection, next year he will be a STAR.

Crashlanded19 and Squirtle like this.
  9. leangle25

leangle25 Member

People have to consistently remember that we are full-on rebuild mode and the main point is to let rookies make mistakes and learn from it. Sure losing sucks but we have to realize is a process and journey which will take a couple of extra seasons.

I am heading to this season with 0 expectations so watching Green or even Sengun blow up will be fun to watch. Jalen Green has Wall/Gerald Green as a mentor which can develop his game. Even for KPJ (He has alot to learn considering this is his first real big role).

xaos likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

so far on the season Jalen Green is shooting 39% on catch and shoot threes, but just 25% on pulls ups off the dribble

when things are created for him, his efficiency is just so much better

when he was in the G-League

1st 11 games:

52% of his twos and 84% of his threes were assisted…18 ppg on 50/42/78 shooting splits and 65% TS

final 4 games:

29% of his twos and 67% of his threes were assisted…17 ppg on 38/23/100 shooting splits and 53% TS

his jumper off the dribble just looks way off

xaos and pippendagimp like this.
  11. j@amc

j@amc Member

Green is definitely rushing things when he comes off screens. He's thinking about his footwork. It's all jumbled. And as @Reeko points out that gets worse when he's shooting off the dribble. But, unlike so many posters, I can see that the talent is there. Green just needs time and patience with himself. It wouldn't hurt his ability to drive the basket and draw fouls if he had a head fake on that three-point line, catch-and-shoot jumper. But that is one more thing for a young player to think about.

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't know why they are letting him play this many minutes. He's just banging his head against a wall right now because he's clearly not ready for this load. Let him get used to NBA defenses, and NBA contact in moderation. Free range to just jack up bad shots isn't helping anybody

I'm not even down on the kid, it's OK to mostly hold a clipboard when your 19. Harden was 20 his first season, and he was terrible, so was Giannis.

NewAge likes this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wait what? Exactly what I said.

DD

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The team clearly wants to push him deserving or not to be the face of the franchise and there was a clear effort to keep the ball in his hands last night....and that's a big part of why the offense was so terrible.

Him being one of the least effective scorers on the team apparently doesn't matter as much as his marketability and draft position.

NewAge likes this.
  15. NewAge

NewAge Member

Yeah there were some reports to that effect... Ultimately it will back-fire, IMO. Toyota was empty last night...

I'd say the exact opposite may be more effective:
    1. keep him on the bench,
    2. feed the persecution complex of his fanbase (pretty evident here on CF),
    3. profit from his Instagram-celebrity status, not from his NBA-player status.

16. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He certainly needs his minutes, so don't "keep" him on the bench, just make him earn his spot.

Don't feed the ego before it's deserved.

Right now he's not a very good player, make him become that. I think that would be the best course for realizing his upside. If you just let him go all out chucker every night, it'll pad his PPG stats, but he'll be a worse player for it.

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

That tells me he needs to stop shooting pull up 3's lol. But then again how many open 3's do we even create in our offense. We really don't have many good passers that can hit the corner man.

Most of the time it's giving someone the ball and letting them create. We don't have the talent to do that.

Reeko likes this.
  19. NewAge

NewAge Member

yeah, I was just being sarcastic on the idea that he's being forced-fed on us for the marketability aspect. Doesn't seem like a solid marketing strategy. The kid needs to develop as a basketball player, the marketing $$ will come in trucks then...

DaDakota likes this.
  20. xaos

xaos Member

This play is a huge sign of improvement and why he was able to get so many fouls last night. He is learning that you don't need a full sprint to the rim everytime... make an explosive step, get past your man, draw contact, assess, then attack/make a decision based on the defense. I fully expect to see more and more of these kinds of plays from him as the season goes on

Convictedstupid and DaDakota like this.