1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] The Many Saints of Newark: A Sopranos Story

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jun 29, 2021.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

The first trailer has arrived for “The Sopranos” film prequel “The Many Saints of Newark” with actor Michael Gandolfini playing the role of a teenage Tony Soprano, the character his father James Gandolfini played in the acclaimed HBO series.

In the film a young Tony is growing up in one of the most tumultuous eras in Newark’s history, becoming a man just as rival gangsters begin to rise up and challenge the all-powerful DiMeo crime family’s hold over the increasingly race-torn city.

Caught up in the changing times is the uncle he idolizes, Dickie Moltisanti, who struggles to manage both his professional and personal responsibilities – and whose influence over his impressionable nephew will help make the teenager into the all-powerful mob boss we’ll later come to know.

Alessandro Nivola, Leslie Odom Jr., Jon Bernthal, Corey Stoll, Billy Magnussen, John Magaro, Michela De Rossi, Ray Liotta, and Vera Farmiga all star in the film which aims to work whether you are familiar with the series or not.

Series creator David Chase returns to write and produce the film with frequent HBO series director Alan Taylor helming.

“The Many Saints of Newark: A Sopranos Story” will be released in cinemas on October 1st and simultaneously on HBO Max.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/trailer-the-many-saints-of-newark/

2. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

I'm not a guy who thought The Sopranos was a great show. I watched it and liked it, but this trailer has a whole different feel and I am looking forward to it.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sopranos remains one of the greatest overall series. Came out at a time when networks were still trying to pump out a ton of episodes/season... which forced them to really delve into character development and take chances that other shows hadn't done before.

While that led to some filler, it also led to some risk-reward. Nowadays, each season would be a 10 episode Netflix series. They probably don't do any of the travel episodes (Italy, France, etc.). They probably would have done only half of the last season. A stand alone episode like Pine Barrens (one of the all time best) is at risk of not happening because it really doesn't advance the story.

4. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

It is crazy that Michael Gandolfini is playing Tony. That looks like he is following in his father’s footsteps. I am excited to see to it. James was one hell of an actor I am looking forward to seeing what is in store for his son.

Andre0087 and mikol13 like this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Looks really good.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Galndolfini had amazing range. I don’t think that’s just naturally hereditary… but it is nice to have somebody who is both an unknown as well as bears the striking resemblance so that there’s no comparison as to who the character is.

I guess they weren’t able to get any of the other actors who played the younger versions of the other characters (Livia, Junior, Johnny boy) from the show… but then again, its been almost 20 years since the Sopranos was on. Will be very interesting to see how Chase flushes out the Dickie Moltisanti backstory… a character who was often mentioned in the series, but never had any flashback scenes.

AleksandarN likes this.
  7. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

I am sure David Chase gave him a chance to audition for the role. The one thing I give David Case credit for is knowing natural talent. If Michael was not up to snuff he wouldn’t even be considered him for the role. The guys knows who to cast. Almost all of the actors in Sopranos are spot on.

Andre0087 likes this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Even the actor who played AJ?

9. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

I said almost.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Loved The Sopranos. This looks meh. Trailer is trying hard to hide the lack of acting ability from Tony Jr.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Damn. You can tell he lacks chops from a short trailer? Are you a talent scout? :D

Haymitch, with cigar: CUT! That's enough kid. You're killing me, in the bad way. You got no future, but at least you're hearing it early. NEXT!

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He ain't ready. If this movie was 95% about his uncle and 5% about him, that would be for the better. And maybe that's how it is, but if they make it a Young Tony movie, then he ain't ready. Ain't. Ready.

ROCKSS likes this.
  13. TimDuncanDonaut

I would watch.

Seems like years since they first announced this project, finally coming out.

14. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I might have to watch the whole damn series again just to freshen up on the characters. That show seems like a lifetime ago.

From the trailer, I think the younger Gandolf looks just fine in the role. Guess we'll see.

15. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

The role he played in True Romance catapulted James Gandolfini

RockFanFirst likes this.
  16. PhiSlammaJamma

Never watched the show, but the trailer was excellent. I am interested.

17. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Cringe-worthy role, but agree. Love that movie. I quote it all the time

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Watched this after re-watching The Sopranos.

Pretty dry when taken on it's own. Not enough of Tony, IMO, for a real emotional connection. I get what they were doing with Dickie but I think they missed the mark. The civil rights unrest was an interesting backdrop for the beginning of the movie. They left a lot of things hanging like it was a pilot for prequel.

Good follow-up to the Sopranos, though. I'd like to see more with some of the Sopranos magic, but I would really rather just see a modern-day sequel to The Sopranos, though. 70's and 80's mob **** has been done to death.

ROCKSS and Rocket River like this.
  19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed.
    I cannot say I was overly impressed
    IT was just missing. . .SOMETHING . . .
    There really should have been more TONY in it.

Rocket River

BossHogg713 likes this.
  20. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

It had the feel as if there will be a sequel. I thought most of the casting was spot on as far as representation of the characters from the show.
    In the show Tony had his nephew, Christopher, kill that cop under the guise that the cop killed his father. Very interesting turn of events that if was Junior.

Rocket River likes this.