1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it needs to be Mobley...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 27, 2021.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Who held the record previously? Must be HOFers right?

Don't let your wishes blind you to reality.

2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

To your point, here's the list of youngest players to score 30:

LeBron James 18 years, 334 days

Kobe Bryant 19 years, 113 days

Jalen Green 19 years, 257 days

Stephon Marbury 19 years, 283 days

Kevin Garnett 19 years, 313 days

But hey, Green is common, right?

Milos likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's fine, I guess the ridiculous knee jerking is to be expected. The one hot shooting game means he's clearly the next Jordan.....let's just ignore the fact that he was absolute garbage in the 3 other games this season....clearly the one streaky shooting game means he's "ready".

This is every bit as absurd as those who are already calling him a bust.

BTW, who is the youngest player to score 50 points in the NBA? Must be a HOFer or future HOFer right?

4. dmoneybangbang

The history of the NBA draft is littered with tantalizing big men who couldn’t make that leap. I still don’t think it was it was obvious that Mobley, who objectively played some of the weakest competition out the top 25 schools, would translate so quickly. I was wrong about Mobley.

Also, the Cavs have a much better ecosystem to develop Mobley since they aren’t bottoming out anymore but spent in FA. Also Garland is a better point guard than KPJ at this junction. I still think Mobley would look better than Green had we drafted him, but he wouldn’t look better than this Cavs version. I thought Mobley was a giant wing and the Cavs are using him like that.

Nook likes this.
  5. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Brandon Jennings 20-52
    LeBron James 20-80
    Devin Booker 20-145
    Kevin Porter Jr. 20-360

D-rock likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah yes, future HOFer Brandon Jennings. Exactly my point

Now look at the players who have scored 50 under 21 years old, which one did it the most efficiently? Was it Lebron? Who managed to do it while picking up 10+ assists? Was it Booker?

Point being, one amazing game does not make a player "ready", nor does it mean they are destined to be the next MJ or Lebron.

One stellar game is merely showing flashes of what one day that player might be capable of, nothing more. When those stellar games become common, that's when they are "ready"

BossHogg713 likes this.
  7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Funny how you claim I think he's the next Jordan because I posted a stat that doesn't include Jordan.

No one said he's the next anything. You claimed he's not "ready" a few days after he broke a rookie record and ended up on a list filled with HOFers. He was the best looking rookie in summary league. He's shown flashes in the other three games despite getting no calls. He's ready, and people who claim he's not will look silly by season's end.

8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Some folks would want to 2 see Green, a rocket rookie on our team fail just so they can stroke their ego of how right they were on how Mobley should have been the pick.

Quite pathetic

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's something that has been said here many, many times. That Green is the next MJ or Kobe. It's pretty clear that's what you were hinting at.

Thus far Green has 3 absolutely terrible games and 1 stellar game. The hot shooting game is a glimpse at what he might one day become once he's ready, but the 3 absolutely terrible games are a reminder that he's not ready for that yet.

Could he become "ready" by the end of the season? Maybe, though probably not.

D-rock and Nook like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

I thought Mobley was a pretty straight forward prospect in that the floor was high. He was a fundamentally strong defender that has strong natural shot blocking instincts and is extremely mobile and fluid..... in a league where everything is switching and length over strength, that is a great fit. Mobley had he been born 30 years ago would have some serious issues.

As far as Mobley offensively, I agree with you that he is essentially a giant wing. If he improves his shooting, he will likely become a literal wing. Right now he can pick his spots on offense, and as more is expected of him, that will not be the case. That is going to be the hardest issue for him, not transitioning into a good player but one that can be a high volume scorer/contributor. That is where he may fail.

A lot of people, especially more traditional basketball people, were concerned about him as a player. Most of the more progressive people viewed him as a high end guy.

I agree that Mobley has better structure and a better team around him than Green.

My concern isn't that Mobley has looked good, as I expected that.... but I am more concerned that Green hasn't been quite as good as I expected. His lack of length and strength has so far hurt him.

The season is young though and Green has a LOT of upside not realized so it is too early to draw any long term conclusions other than Mobley will likely be at least a good player.

Rashmon, D-rock, Tuckankhamun and 7 others like this.
  11. NewAge

NewAge Member

Yes, I was thinking about this as well. His frame, agility, and mobility is that of a wing, but he’s extremely long. Who does that remind you of? KD!

Except KD came to the league already a very prolific scorer; then he added defense, shotblocking, rebounding and facilitating to his game. Mobley has all that, but he’s not a scorer. If he is to become one, I think the KD comp is in play as a ceiling.
    The thing is, making plays and scoring is the most valuable skill in the league. Asking a player, “Ok, great, you have all this and that, now all you need is a 30ppg average and you’re gucci” is not how it usually works. Usually you ask a great scorer to add complimentary skills, not the other way around…

D-rock and Nook like this.
  12. TimDuncanDonaut

In the end, it doesn't really matter what we think. If he fails or succeeds, everything is in his own hands. His NBA career longevity and peak is determined by his play. Green has to determine if he's going to be a Devon Booker or a Markel Fultz.

If he plays well; the fan base will come regardless. My personal approach is wait and see.

#1732 TimDuncanDonaut, Oct 27, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  13. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I just don't get the take that Green has struggled. Silas is clearly a simp and he is on NBA game #4.

Ive watched every minute Green has played for our organization and Im fairly excited. I believe he needs to fill out and (obviously) continue to improve but there seems to be a lot there.

I see the Gerald Green comp but Jalen seems to be a lot more offensively developed than Green was at 19.

14. dmoneybangbang

He just looks very overmatched verses the opposing starting units. I think the Rockets aren’t doing him many favors but there is clearly also a skills and strength gap.

It’s still super early but this is fandom and it’s rife with hindsight.

D-rock, bmelo and NewAge like this.
  15. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I was a staunch Mobley supporter but said I'd be ok with Green because of 1 key reason. Leading up the the draft he really emphasized his work ethic and desire to improve. So no matter how bad he is now, I have no doubt that he'll be significantly better in the future. We have all the time in the world, just be patient.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

To be fair the same can be said of 2 guards.

It's not a big man thing it's all draft picks.

D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Very well put, it's exactly how I feel.

Green's willingness to pass and passing vision has raised his ceiling IMO.

D-rock, cmoak1982 and Tuckankhamun like this.
  18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

it's getting weird.. manifest greatness for goodness sake. it's free.

Jalen Green - Jordan, Kobe
    JC - Dwayne Wade
    Garuba - Draymond Green
    Sengun - Arvydas Sabonis, Jokic
    KPJ - normal PG (jk jk lol)

it's happening.

slothy420, D-rock and i3artow i3aller like this.
  19. dmoneybangbang

Well sure. To be fair, I was talking about it in the context of Mobley’s competition as the entirety of my post indicates.

There are tantalizing prospects across every position that miss. Nailing how it will translate to the NBA has proven to be tough.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member