1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it needs to be Mobley...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 27, 2021.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm sure Mobley will be great. A superstar and all. Can't really complain about picking a different option. That's the deal you make in the lotto with raw talent.

Nook, D-rock, jiggyfly and 1 other person like this.
  2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Mobley is not Bosh or Gasol, he might get there, he might not. He might be a slightly better Capela, or Marcus Camby, He could also be Anthony Davis

Green is not Lavine or Beal, he might be a Wiggins, he might be a Kobe

What you are basically saying is that you don't ever pass up a PF over a SG, which is just random nonsense.

You seem to be obsessed at this random strawman of these imaginary "woke" Green fans, when the majority opinion at least on this board is that his direct comparison was Beal or Lavine.

If anything the Mobley crowd seemed to be loudest and posted the most before the draft about Mobley being the next Anthony Davis/7 foot unicorn and continue to **** on Green after every bad game he has 3 games into the season. Not to mention some idiot kept posting about Green being too feminine and a ambiguous gendered, I forgot which dumbmass poster that was.

3. NewAge

NewAge Member

I mean, I don’t know what to say here, you don’t have basic knowledge about how prospect analysis works and how comps work. Comps work as illustrations for floors/ceiling/style, I mean that’s pretty obvious stuff… Some people get paid to do this and they work their butts off. like Mike Schmitz, for example.

I don’t have a horse in the Mobley/Green argument, I didn’t watch G-league and barely watched NCAA. But I read tons of articles, listened to many podcasts, ( including our own Clutch) and the consensus was that Mobley was a superb talent, but Green has a pantheon ceiling. My comment here was about the lowballing of expectations by the JG fan club. Your ramblings maybe address some other controversies here that I am not aware of… Or maybe you just ramble for rambling’s sake…

4. dmoneybangbang

Mobley is far more NBA ready than I thought and able to affect the game in multiple ways. Still not sure where Mobley will be by the time his rookie deal is up.

Pre-draft I just thought he was more of a “just another big that was used to dominating inferior competition”. I think the Cavs are doing him a lot of favors by putting him in good positions but he’s also very clearly skilled.

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

Lol… yet you have a strong opinion…. Especially about non basketball related attributes.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who said I did not see potential?

D-rock likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Mahalo man!!!

Kids grow up too damn fast. :(

King1 likes this.
  8. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Jesus Christ.

This thread is going to be around for the next 10 years, at minimum.

J Sizzle and hakeem94 like this.
  9. King1

King1 Contributing Member

They definitely do

D-rock likes this.
  10. TimDuncanDonaut

We lost our last two :(. Cavs beat their last two: Hawks and the Nuggets. I guess the Mobley experiment is still on.

Clutch Fans:
    [​IMG]

To be fair he has had 14 free throw attempts so far in the first four games. :p

It's all good; hope both Mobley and Green do well. :D

D-rock likes this.
  11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Can we move this **** to Dish please?

12. Nook

Nook Member

Green has the "it" factor. He has a type or confidence and bravado that is genuine and is had by players like Jordan and Kobe and West. He also has a real strong ambitious streak. He is a tough kid as well.

Mobley just has a really high basketball IQ. He is similar to Duncan or Paul in that they seldom make mistakes. Mobley is usually in the right place, makes the higher percentage decision.

Deuce, RudyTBag, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I am admittedly shook at how NBA ready Mobley is and how not NBA ready Green is. But lot of time to go.

D-rock and apollo33 like this.
  14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I thought it would be the opposite pre draft.

Turns out Green is a even skinnier than I thought he was

D-rock likes this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The other side of that coin is that players like Westbrook and Lou Williams also genuinely have that confidence, ambition, and bravado....it's not always a good thing.

At this point, we can just hope for the best as Green gets the experience to help boost the mental side of the game that he's kind of terrible at right now.

D-rock and Nook like this.
  16. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Green is a Alpha type player that can win a championship the same as Cunningham these are unique players in the league, such as Kobe, Lebron, Curry, Jordan....Mobley is not a Alpha at all. One day we can be a good ROBIN but not a Batman. What you seen Green done against Boston is just a gimplse on what he will do in the future he is just young. JaMorant is a nice player and he is averaging around 30 points a game in his third year. Green is a better player than him, he is taller and a better shooter as shooting percentages. Watch out for Green because he is a SUPERSTAR

17. Nook

Nook Member

I never understood the people that thought Mobley would need a lot of time. He is a polished player in a lot of ways. He is almost always positioned well, he makes smart passes, he blocks shots exceptionally well and could already score in transition. He needed to get stronger to really take his game to the next level and he needs work on his shot, but that is about it. I still think he will play more like a 3 on offense than a 4-5. He is on offense is similar to what Harrison Barnes was supposed to be when he went to UNC.

His mobility and fluidity is special for a player his size than plays inside. That is what separates him. He is the son of a basketball coach and grew up playing an older brother. He has strong basketball fundamentals and an IQ. He was going to be good early in his career.

Jalen Green always looked like the more "rough" prospect. He doesn't defend well yet and a lot of that is technique. He doesn't score well in traffic, doesn't have a polished passing game and struggles setting screens.

Now the GOOD thing for the Rockets is that in theory he is just scratching the surface of his talent.... although he reminds me at 19 a lot of another player, Gerald Green.... but with a shorter frame but better perimeter shot. Gerald Green never developed as a playmaker because of poor personal choices and poor coaching. Soon enough he was restricted to being a role player.

D-rock, HP3 and Bobbythegreat like this.
  18. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Someone who is “not ready” for the NBA doesn’t score 30 points in a game. He’s ready, he’ll just be streaky.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone can get hot on a random night and hit a lot of 3's, that doesn't make that player "ready" for the NBA, especially when they are absolutely terrible in every other game they play. Hell KPJ had a 50 point 11 assist game just last season and he's STILL not ready really. He's further along than Green, but the hope is that he'll be getting close by the end of this season.

The hot shooting night was him showing flashes of what he can possibly be once he's ready. If anything, it's proof he's NOT ready.

Give him a few years and maybe those good shooting, high scoring nights will be the norm rather than the fluke. That's what we're all hoping will happen anyway.

20. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Posts like this crack me up. If it’s so common, why did he break the Rockets’ rookie 3 record? If it’s so common, why is he the third youngest player to score 30?

It’s not common. Period. And it’s absurd to downplay it.