1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this the last we will see of Carlos Correa?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Oct 16, 2020.

1. the shark

the shark Member

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if he wants to go to the Rangers don't let the door hit your @$$ on the way out of town.

MoMobley likes this.
  2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I agree that $350 over 10 years is what Correa is hoping for. However, if the Astros can get somewhere near $300 million, they have a chance considering the caliber of team he is on and no state income tax in Texas. Even if the offer is 8 years, $280-$300 million, I still think there is a very good chance he stays.

I’m not Correa, but if I was him I wouldn’t even consider signing with the Rangers. That roster is three years from even thinking about competing with him, and those are three years of his prime he will not get back. Not to mention, Jim Crane has to be aware how bad the optics will look if Correa signs elsewhere inside the division (Angels, Mariners or Rangers) and the Astros have to face him 19 times per season. I also don’t think Crane wants him on the Yankees or Red Sox (if they could convince Bogaerts to move to 2B), either. Crane likes winning pennants and having chances to win the World Series. Putting Correa on a direct competitor makes that harder.

The Tigers, however, Correa would consider because of the Hinch factor, though Detroit will be in a very tight spot financially in four or five years with such a contract on their books. Look at the team Miguel Cabrera had around him in recent years.

If Crane refuses to go beyond 6 years, then, yes, there is no shot unless he’s offering an obscene AAV (north of 40M per season).

#1382 DVauthrin, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    Squirtle likes this.
  3. RussE

RussE Member

Last week when the Astros pitching staff was getting lit up by Boston some were saying we can’t afford Correa because we need pitching. That’s all changed in one week.

awc713 likes this.
  4. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

If you want to talk about a horrible investment, giving an elite SP a big-money contract qualifies. The only contract of that nature that has worked out was given to Max Scherzer by the Nationals. Clayton Kershaw is dealing with forearm issues and has spent plenty of time on the IL in recent seasons. Stephen Strasburg’s deal looks horrible. The Astros gave Verlander an extension before the 2020 only to get one start from him. David Price’s big money deal with the Red Sox quickly turned into a disaster. Gerrit Cole looked mortal after the crackdown on sticky stuff this season.

I would not be signing pitchers to huge, long-term contracts. That money is much better spent on elite position players, who are far more likely to stay healthy and maintain elite performance for longer. If the Astros want to bolster their starting rotation, a trade is a much better option, unless Verlander is willing to take a prove-it, one-or-two year deal at a fairly cheap salary. Long term, I’d focus on developing future pitching within the organization.

#1384 DVauthrin, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Don't know how we sign Correa when we need to sign 3 starters this offseason o_O

Fulgore likes this.
  6. lastreg

lastreg Member

In my mind, we win or lose the world series, Carlos is gone.

raining threes likes this.
  7. raining threes

Nope

They need pitching

jim1961 likes this.
  8. HTown2017Champs

Kevin Gausman, 4 years/$96M. Get it done, Crane! It'll probably be tough to pry him away from SF, but we can shell out the $$$, and sell "no state income tax" and "easier path to the division crown" to him.

9. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

You'll see my friend.

10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Ridiculous. McCullers, Framber, Urquidy, Garcia, Javier or Brown or Whitley. If we have to trade for an ace at the deadline. Correa 10/300. If he won’t take that you have to let him walk or he might take 5/yr 35 with player option of 5/yr 25m. Signing Graveman is a higher priority than getting some middle of the road starter or gambling on 30 something pitchers with 5 year multi-million dollar deals. Greinke and Verlander are gone. In reality, I think Correa is also, but even so tell me all these great pitchers we are going to sign with 30M a year.

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

You did see the face, right? Chill. Frustration post on my part.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

1 good year out of 10 years and you want to give him 100M. We didn't even give Morton a qualifying offer and he was better and was historically better.

13. houseofglass21

You could see on his face last night that he is already gone.

He’s fools good. Good defense but his offense is weak at best. He has terrible bat discipline and is always trying to be the hero and over swinging at garbage pitches. He hits the odd home run every ten games and then acts like he’s gods gift.

14. CinematicFusion

Astros will never and should never do a 10 year deal. Astros want to pay Correa 5 years 200 million(40 per) then cool.
    10 year deals are terrible.

15. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

The 10 year deal just needs one or two player opt outs set up that unless Correa seriously regresses, you feel confident he would opt out because the back end years are less money.

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Then do front load it at 40 million over 5 years and you are only paying 20 million per year for his last 5 years which are years 32-36. 20 million a year is fair for Correa at that age. That is just a little more than we paid for Reddick and Brantley.

17. Buck Turgidson

I hope he shows up tonight

18. Elienator

Elienator Member

He has a career OPS+ of 127 and a WRC+ of 128. That means he is 27% better than the average hitter and puts him at the 19th best active player. That's not Mike Trout, but it's far from "weak."

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ken Rosenthal (on FOX26 news)

We know he’ll be a free agent. We know also the Astros made him an offer he felt was not even close to being in the ballpark and he was right about that.

He’ll be the most sought after guy on the free agent market. I won’t be surprised to see him get $250M-300M.

He’s young. He’s 27 years old. He’s been durable the last 2 seasons. Elite offensively, elite defensively, a leader. He’s everything you want.

I expect he’ll go somewhere else.

20. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Nah bro, his bat is trash. Forget his 56 postseason RBI (6th all time) and 18 home runs (7th all time). Anyone can do that. Like the man said, he's weaksauce.

rockbox, Bregatron and Elienator like this.