1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case for Trading Up to get Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Sengun

Sengun Member

He'll be a very valuable player once he gets confident and starts shooting and gains 10-15 pounds. I have no worries about him and I trust him. Skills he has now are kind that innate and you can't develop this skills after born. So, we are lucky because he has these natural skills. On the other hand, what he doesn't have, he can improve by working very well. It will be enjoyable to follow his development over the next few years.

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

Drift Monkey likes this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Actually i like that hes not shooting it... he doesnt have a jumper...and hes doing just fine without it...better than anyone on the rockets who have one

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

5. Sengun

Sengun Member

"HeLLo, i Am A FaT-aSS AmEriCaN NbA sCouT aT noWhErE aNd i CaN sAy tHaT, SeNguN cAn'T dEfEnD, hE iS sO sMaLL aNd sLoW, hE iS BaD."

Then

Reality comes.

[​IMG]

Shark44 and hakeem94 like this.
  6. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Nice to see our rooks near the top of both those axes.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think it is way too early for these type of stats to be useful unless you are suggesting that reality is Sengun is a horrible player because his offensive liabilities significantly outweigh how well he plays defense.

jiggyfly and hakeem94 like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

I really like Sengun but he doesn't have a ceiling anywhere close to either Jokic or Doncic.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. Sengun

Sengun Member

Yes, he is a horrible on offense. How many years do you need to have been watching basketball in order to make this determination?

Drift Monkey likes this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yep, his ceiling is higher

11. i3artow i3aller

Hopefully he's binging all the Jokic tape there is.
    We need Al-P slinging and flinging that pumpkin all over the court.

Nook likes this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

You presented data as reality. That is your opinion, not mine. Either say the data you presented is too small a sample size or accept the reality that Sengun is a bad offensive player based on the data you presented as reality.

Nook likes this.
  13. Sengun

Sengun Member

Based on that data, I'm not saying that his defense is "great" and that he will get DPOY in the future. It's just that everyone has seen that in all the games he's played since the Summer League, his defense isn't as bad as advertised, and this data supports this idea. That is all. It's not that hard to understand.

On the other hand, no offense, but it might be better for you to look at things a little more rationally. I don't expect any more offensive contribution from a player who averages 19 minutes on the court, using only 4.7 balls per game. Especially in a team that does not have any offensive plan, does not know how to turn the ball, has a coach obsessed with the 5 out game plan, and the player who gets the ball tries to shoot always. I definitely do not expect anything better from him.

Drift Monkey and hakeem94 like this.
  14. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

That chart says he's the 5th worse rook in terms of adding points. That makes no sense. What kind of metric is this?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  15. MystikArkitect

"As previously mentioned, unathletic players can survive in the NBA and even earn prominent roles.

If Jokic can deliver accurate shooting and make the right plays when the ball is in his hands, he could be a poor-man's Diaw and a long-range threat like Antic. Jokic would probably be the fourth or fifth scoring option when he's in the game, but all that matters is whether he plays efficiently.

Unfortunately, his defense will likely prevent him from ever playing 30-plus minutes or starting. However, there's no shame in being a respectable reserve on a winning team in the future."

Neither did Jokic.

Drift Monkey, slothy420 and hakeem94 like this.
  16. Sengun

Sengun Member

I think they may not have included assists for the offensive part on this chart. Sengun's turnovers are probably the most important thing pulling him down for the offensive part on this chart.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I always respect your takes, but if you compare Jokic's first games/first season to what we are seeing from Sengun, and given Sengun's previous success in a competitive European league, and the fact that Sengun is a year younger than Jokic was in his first season, I think it is at the very least too early to make such a definitive statement.

[​IMG]

I predict that - if he gets 30+ minutes - Alpi will have a 20-10 game (with more blocks and steals than Jokic) in one of his first 20 games as well.

#1077 AroundTheWorld, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  18. Rockets4Life13

Yup. Which is why statements like „player XY will never be as good as player Z“ will always be a bad take.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. topfive

topfive CF OG

Self-appraisal?

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. CXbby

CXbby Member

Jokic is an MVP and top 10 player in the league, I’m not going to blame anyone for saying Sengun won’t be that good, no matter how high I’m on him, because odds are simply he won’t be that good, odds are no one will besides a handful of generational players. With that said, I have never seen Jokic play defense like Sengun has just in the few games we have seen. And that’s supposed to be his biggest weakness.