1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 24, 2021.

1. HTXSportsAddict

It might be the smartest path. Bryce Young and CJ Stroud look like studs for the '23 draft at QB. I still won't mind if they fall in love with a guy in this draft though and take him high especially if they have extra picks.

raining threes likes this.
  2. SinceEverSince

I’m just glad we have are savior in Mills. Jk. We need help everywhere. I hope we trade Watson so we can begin the rebuild.

ROXRAN, Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  3. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

This is early, but we needed something to look forward to. A lot of shifting sands, but if a DW deal gets done then we'll have even more reasons to discuss potential picks.

I like this mock for us and my God if we could get those Philly picks--mercy! https://www.google.com/search? https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...r-steelers-washington-take-first-two-passers/

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/aidan-hutchinson-michigan-de-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2022/

Hutchinson’s athletic profile
    Hutchinson didn’t always play to his athletic potential in 2020, but he might test as an elite athlete — and we’re seeing more of his ability in 2021. He was on Bruce Feldman’s Freaks list earlier in the offseason. According to a source quoted in Feldman’s article, Hutchinson might run a 4.6-second 40, log a mid-30-inch vertical, and post a three-cone time in the mid-6-second range. Those are insane numbers for a 6’6″, 269-pound defensive lineman.

It’s safe to say that Hutchinson’s composite athletic profile holds plenty of appeal. With his frame, Hutchinson possesses solid length, which he uses with universal proactivity. He extends quickly, sets the edge well in run defense, actively disrupts passing windows, and seeks to make opposing QBs uncomfortable.

Among other things, Hutchinson has good grip strength, which he can use to wrench down opposing anchors. He also has a strong base and good balance. As a result, Hutchinson is able to stand his ground against opposing power and force. Additionally, the Michigan product has great explosiveness, lateral burst, and twitch. He also owns solid weight-transfer ability when shuffling between gaps.

Hutchinson’s best athletic trait, however, might be his flexibility. At his size, he has impressive hip flexibility and lean. He can absorb blocks with ease — he’s hard to move because of this.

Execution beyond the physical traits
    Hutchinson’s athletic skill set alludes to some positional versatility along the line — and that versatility shows up on tape. Although he’s strongest from the edge, Hutchinson can line up from the 0-position to the 5-technique or outside the tackle’s shoulder. His length — combined with his natural balance — gives him this positional flexibility, and his blend of length, energy, and twitch gives him upside at multiple alignments.

On the edge, Hutchinson might be one of the strongest run defenders in the 2022 NFL Draft. As mentioned above, he has a strong anchor, good balance, and solid flexibility. But beyond that, the Michigan DE also boasts excellent footwork and awareness. He knows to reset his feet periodically to maintain leverage. Additionally, he can disengage and wrap up ball carriers when they enter his area.

As a pass rusher, Hutchinson wasn’t always consistent in 2020. But in 2021, he’s dominated. He uses fast, precise hand swipes. His length helps him assume superior leverage, and it also helps cultivate immense point-of-contact force. Hutchinson’s red-hot motor ties his game together and makes him a constant tackling threat, maximizing his athletic tools. His hustle never dies, and that helps the Michigan DE remain a factor on every down. LOVE THIS!!!

Areas for improvement
    Coming into 2021, Hutchinson had a stellar NFL Draft scouting report as a run defender. He also showed some pass-rushing utility with his positional ambiguity. There were some concerns on tape regarding Hutchinson’s ability to play to his athletic maximum, but those concerns have been all but nullified by his 2021 play.

Upon initial viewings of Hutchinson’s 2020 tape, I was concerned by his maximum pursuit speed, short-area burst, and foot speed as a mover. But at the time, I was unsure if these were issues regarding his athletic ceiling, or his efficiency of motion and his ability to channel his athletic traits. His 2021 play supports the latter hypothesis, as the Michigan DE is playing fast and athletic week in and week out.

Although Hutchinson has quelled these athletic maximum concerns, even with his strong intangibles, he can still keep refining his hand speed and usage and train himself to carry more momentum with his hands. Luckily for Hutchinson, he’s shown improvement here in 2021 as well.

Hutchinson NFL Draft scouting report overview
    Hutchinson may be listed as a defensive end, but he isn’t your traditional edge rusher. The Michigan DE can play from a host of alignments. He can stand up, or play from three-point and four-point stances. No matter where he goes, he has great burst, energy, and urgency as a pass rusher. He compounds those traits with aggressive hand usage. And in run defense, his length, functional strength, and balance enable him to hold strong.

#24 Shark44, Oct 25, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    gucci888 and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Don’t see a mock in the link.

5. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Weird. Working now, give it a try.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Hutchinson at #2 is bold. Lopez, Hutchinson and Greenard could be a formidable DL. Still have high hopes for Omenihu as well.

Shark44, Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Aiden Hutchinson reminds me of smaller JJ Watt - his motor is awesome. He's my #2 behind Kayvon.

raining threes, Shark44 and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If freaking Caserio and Culley would play Omenihu

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Lopez looks like a hit for sure. Greenard looks good. Hoping for more young talent to shine

HTXSportsAddict and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

And Jacob Martin

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Jacob Martin

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Omenhiu
    Martin
    Collins
    Lopez
    Blacklock
    Greenard

Our D-Line isn’t a scary front 4 by any means but man I’d would rather have a DB particularly a CB.

But if you could promise me either

Kayvon or Hutchinson or the DE from Purdue

And Gardner or Elam with them then yeah but if not then DB should be the way to go.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Forgot Blacklock too, he’s played nice in spurts

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

You mean he’s played nice when healthy.

This defense fits him so much better actually fits all the guys so much better.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Lopez and Blacklock is a solid young interior and play off each others strengths well.

We need some DB help and linebacker help.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

If you can’t promise me one of the top DEs and CB duo then…

I'm taking the best O-lineman or Hamilton he can prolly play nickel or dime LB as well he’s very versatile.

And his injury isn’t that serious either.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

This 1000%

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

My issue with that is the Tampa 2 MUST HAVE pressure for it to be effective. It wont matter who you have in the defensive backfield if an opposing QB has too much time its a wrap.

ROXRAN, raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.